* Documentclass for latex preview images
@ 2016-08-05 13:22 Maik Schünemann
From: Maik Schünemann @ 2016-08-05 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there an option to set the documentclass that is used in temporary files
to create latex preview images?

I am writing math texts with org mode and am using amsthm for theorems etc
and let them be counted by chapter:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{amsthm}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}[chapter]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{defn}{Definition}[chapter]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{prop}{Proposition}[chapter]

After I put these lines in my .org file, latex preview images stopped
working although latex export still did. The problem is that in the
temporary files used to generate the preview images, the documentclass
article is used which doesn't define the counter chapter.

I managed to resolve this issue for me by checking for presence of the
counter.
#+LATEX_HEADER: \makeatletter
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newcommand\ifcounter[3]{\@ifundefined{c@#1}{#3}{#2}}
#+LATEX_HEADER: \makeatother
#+LATEX_HEADER: \ifcounter{chapter}{
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}[chapter]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{defn}{Definition}[chapter]
#+LATEX_HEADER: \newtheorem{prop}{Proposition}[chapter]
#+LATEX_HEADER: }{}

Is there a downside to using the same document class as the org file
specifies for export to create the preview images?

Thanks,
Maik

* Re: Documentclass for latex preview images
@ 2016-08-07 20:38 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-08-07 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maik Schünemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

See the variable org-format-latex-header.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F