emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
@ 2021-10-01 21:16 Ingo Lohmar
  2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2021-10-01 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 9.5, org-key-map binds org-force-cycle-archived to (kbd "C-c C-TAB").
At least on my machine, this specification is illegal: it generates an
entry in org-key-map, but the key presses yield an "undefined" message.

Binding the command to (kbd "C-c C-<tab>") instead works, but not on a
tty.

It's been my understanding that "TAB" is the ascii control character,
identical to C-i, and hence "C-TAB" cannot work.  "<tab>" is the GUI
system's key event (in my case, X), and does not work on a terminal.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-09-02
Package: Org mode version 9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-10-01 21:16 [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)] Ingo Lohmar
@ 2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
  2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
                     ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ingo Lohmar @ 2021-11-17 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Oct 01 2021 23:16 (+0200), Ingo Lohmar wrote:

> Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
> what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See
>
>      https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> In 9.5, org-key-map binds org-force-cycle-archived to (kbd "C-c C-TAB").
> At least on my machine, this specification is illegal: it generates an
> entry in org-key-map, but the key presses yield an "undefined" message.
>
> Binding the command to (kbd "C-c C-<tab>") instead works, but not on a
> tty.
>
> It's been my understanding that "TAB" is the ascii control character,
> identical to C-i, and hence "C-TAB" cannot work.  "<tab>" is the GUI
> system's key event (in my case, X), and does not work on a terminal.
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2021-09-02
> Package: Org mode version 9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)

Hi all,

it seems that the above bug report has gone unnoticed.

It seems the change was introduced in
565361eb698b0b39c1d823ad1565f5bd88fa2034 and persists.

Can people actually enter "C-c C-TAB" into their emacs (how?), or has
everybody has just bound another key in their config?

Best,
Ingo


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
@ 2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
  2021-11-18  7:43     ` Timothy
  2021-11-18 17:08   ` Max Nikulin
  2021-11-19 15:46   ` Daniel Fleischer
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2021-11-17 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ingo Lohmar <ingo.lohmar@posteo.net> writes:

> It seems the change was introduced in
> 565361eb698b0b39c1d823ad1565f5bd88fa2034 and persists.
>
> Can people actually enter "C-c C-TAB" into their emacs (how?), or has
> everybody has just bound another key in their config?

Mmm, I can't seem to input C-c C-TAB either.  IIUC (but maybe I don't),
this makes sense because

- Emacs translates the function key <tab> into the control character
  TAB=^I when no modifiers are added.  I.e. this can be triggered by
  hitting <tab> or <control>+i:

> (local-set-key (kbd "TAB") (lambda () (interactive) (message "TAB-ish!")))

- But Emacs can't translate <control>+<tab> into "C-TAB", because C-TAB
  means "control+control+i", which I guess is not representable at the
  key code level or something?  Hopefully someone can explain this
  better.

(?\C-\t does return something though, and it's consistent with what (kbd
"C-TAB") returns, so I guess there's no reason why Emacs couldn't
translate C-<tab> to C-TAB like it does <tab> to TAB? 🤷)

FWIW, however you decide to fix this, I'd be very grateful if org-cycle
remained bound to TAB, since I'm one of those weirdos who actually hits
<control>+i for TAB instead of <tab>…


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
@ 2021-11-18  7:43     ` Timothy
  2021-11-18 10:12       ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Timothy @ 2021-11-18  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kévin Le Gouguec; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ingo Lohmar


I think that the two actions we may want to take here are:
1. Replace "C-TAB" with "C-<tab>" in the keybinding
2. Change the keybinding to something else that doesn't use control+tab
   for instance, "C-c M-TAB" seems to be available.

Which option seems preferable?

--
Timothy


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-11-18  7:43     ` Timothy
@ 2021-11-18 10:12       ` Ihor Radchenko
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-18 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Ingo Lohmar, emacs-orgmode, Kévin Le Gouguec

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I think that the two actions we may want to take here are:
> 1. Replace "C-TAB" with "C-<tab>" in the keybinding
> 2. Change the keybinding to something else that doesn't use control+tab
>    for instance, "C-c M-TAB" seems to be available.
>
> Which option seems preferable?

Note that 565361eb6 explicitly changed C-<tab> to C-TAB:

>> Fixes: `org-mode-map` binds `<tab>` which is unnecessary and harmful,
>> since it takes precendence over bindings of TAB even in keymaps with
>> higher precedence.
>> 
>> Reported-by: Daniel Mendler

M-TAB may be not good for Windows users.

Maybe C-c S-TAB? Though it feels not intuitive.
Another possibility may be overloading C-c TAB (org-ctrl-c-tab).

Best,
Ihor


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
  2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
@ 2021-11-18 17:08   ` Max Nikulin
  2021-11-19 15:46   ` Daniel Fleischer
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-11-18 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 18/11/2021 04:19, Ingo Lohmar wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01 2021 23:16 (+0200), Ingo Lohmar wrote:
> 
>> In 9.5, org-key-map binds org-force-cycle-archived to (kbd "C-c C-TAB").
>> At least on my machine, this specification is illegal: it generates an
>> entry in org-key-map, but the key presses yield an "undefined" message.
>>
>> Binding the command to (kbd "C-c C-<tab>") instead works, but not on a
>> tty.
>>
>> It's been my understanding that "TAB" is the ascii control character,
>> identical to C-i, and hence "C-TAB" cannot work.  "<tab>" is the GUI
>> system's key event (in my case, X), and does not work on a terminal.
> 
> it seems that the above bug report has gone unnoticed.
> 
> It seems the change was introduced in
> 565361eb698b0b39c1d823ad1565f5bd88fa2034 and persists.
> 
> Can people actually enter "C-c C-TAB" into their emacs (how?), or has
> everybody has just bound another key in their config?

There were a discussion of GUI-only vs. terminal key events:
https://list.orgmode.org/00ca1c7b-1e1d-fc91-eef3-dfc29b51b825@daniel-mendler.de/T/#u



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)]
  2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
  2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
  2021-11-18 17:08   ` Max Nikulin
@ 2021-11-19 15:46   ` Daniel Fleischer
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Daniel Fleischer @ 2021-11-19 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Lohmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ingo Lohmar [2021-11-17 Wed 21:19] wrote:

> Can people actually enter "C-c C-TAB" into their emacs (how?), or has
> everybody has just bound another key in their config?

I've noticed it a couple of weeks ago; just rebound
org-force-cycle-archived to (kbd "C-c C-<tab>")

-- 

Daniel Fleischer


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-11-19 15:48 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-10-01 21:16 [BUG] org-mode binds C-c C-TAB, which seems illegal [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/il/.config/emacs/elpa/org-9.5/)] Ingo Lohmar
2021-11-17 21:19 ` Ingo Lohmar
2021-11-17 23:17   ` Kévin Le Gouguec
2021-11-18  7:43     ` Timothy
2021-11-18 10:12       ` Ihor Radchenko
2021-11-18 17:08   ` Max Nikulin
2021-11-19 15:46   ` Daniel Fleischer

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).