* Wiki?
@ 2010-02-19 22:24 Andrea Crotti
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-02-19 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Today I had to modify some wiki pages for a project and I realized how
it sucked..
Stupid editor, annoying markup language, difficult to remember/track
down what you've written and so on.

So wouldn't be great to do something like this

* Wiki stuff
** Page1
   This is a wiki page, automatically created if not existing
   - item
   - item

** Page2
   Another page.

Than with one command like org-export-to-wiki look if the page is
existing, if not create it, convert it to the right format and it's
done!

I think it should involve some rpc php stuff which is not directly
related, and also if the page is modified by someone else is not so
easy (unless we're able to update our org-version).
But to create new pages it would be great (for me at least).
What do you think?

Thanks

* Re: Wiki?
@ 2010-02-19 22:36 ` Ryan Thompson
From: Ryan Thompson @ 2010-02-19 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

If you want to edit existing Wiki pages with such a system, this would
require a complete conversion of all Wiki syntax to an Org-mode
equivalent, or else a way to leave unknown wiki syntax alone.
Otherwise you would clobber any formatting that Org-mode doesn't know
about when you edit the page.

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today I had to modify some wiki pages for a project and I realized how
> it sucked..
> Stupid editor, annoying markup language, difficult to remember/track
> down what you've written and so on.
>
> So wouldn't be great to do something like this
>
> * Wiki stuff
> ** Page1
>   This is a wiki page, automatically created if not existing
>   - item
>   - item
>
> ** Page2
>   Another page.
>
> Than with one command like org-export-to-wiki look if the page is
> existing, if not create it, convert it to the right format and it's
> done!
>
> I think it should involve some rpc php stuff which is not directly
> related, and also if the page is modified by someone else is not so
> easy (unless we're able to update our org-version).
> But to create new pages it would be great (for me at least).
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks

* Re: Wiki?
@ 2010-02-19 23:56 ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2010-02-19 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Today I had to modify some wiki pages for a project and I realized how
> it sucked.. Stupid editor,
[…]

This much, at least, can be fixed by the “It's All Text” add-on for
Firefox <URL:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125>.

--
 \      “I guess we were all guilty, in a way. We all shot him, we all |
  `\   skinned him, and we all got a complimentary bumper sticker that |

* Re: Wiki?
@ 2010-02-20  1:40   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-02-20  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ben Finney <ben+emacs@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> This much, at least, can be fixed by the “It's All Text” add-on for
> Firefox <URL:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125>.

Yes I know and it's really nice but on OSX I never use firefox, I really
prefer Safari to it...

* Re: Wiki?
@ 2010-02-20  1:56 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-20  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:

> Today I had to modify some wiki pages for a project and I
> realized how it sucked..  Stupid editor, annoying markup
> language, difficult to remember/track down what you've written
> and so on.
>
> So wouldn't be great to do something like this
>
> * Wiki stuff ** Page1 This is a wiki page, automatically
> created if not existing - item - item
>
> ** Page2 Another page.
>
> Than with one command like org-export-to-wiki look if the page
> is existing, if not create it, convert it to the right format
> and it's done!
>
> I think it should involve some rpc php stuff which is not
> directly related, and also if the page is modified by someone
> else is not so easy (unless we're able to update our
> org-version).
> But to create new pages it would be great (for me at least).

have you tried Wes Hardaker's generic exporter?  C-c C-e g RET.  it
should already be able to do a lot of what you want.

--
manish

* Re: Wiki?
@ 2010-02-20 18:02   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-02-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> have you tried Wes Hardaker's generic exporter?  C-c C-e g RET.  it
> should already be able to do a lot of what you want.

Ah thanks perfect, that's more than enough!  Making modification
possible is of course too much trouble, having a single command to
export to wiki syntax and be able to paste directly is already very
nice...