* TODO hooks
@ 2010-08-16 12:47 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-16 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After another time that I forgot something I came up with the same idea.

Suppose I live in address X, and whenever I change my address I have to
notify Y, Z, W.

Now how could I handle this automatically?
I would like that, whenever my address changes I get a todo telling me
to contact Y, Z, W.

Is it possible to do anything like that in org-mode?
Maybe with org-babel and elisp, but there should also maybe an
elisp-hook on the change of that text...

Any idea, other people feelt my same need from time to time?

* Re: TODO hooks
@ 2010-08-16 14:30 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-16 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/16/2010 02:47 PM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> After another time that I forgot something I came up with the same idea.
>
> Suppose I live in address X, and whenever I change my address I have to
> notify Y, Z, W.
>
> Now how could I handle this automatically?
> I would like that, whenever my address changes I get a todo telling me
> to contact Y, Z, W.
>
> Is it possible to do anything like that in org-mode?
> Maybe with org-babel and elisp, but there should also maybe an
> elisp-hook on the change of that text...
>
> Any idea, other people feelt my same need from time to time?

Just make a checklist somewhere:

* DONE Notify people of my current address
- [X] Y
- [X] Z
- [X] W

When your address changes, change the todo state to TODO and do M-x
org-reset-checkbox-state-subtree to uncheck all the boxes.

Of course, you still have to remember to do that, but don't have to
remember /who/ you have to notify (because you can add to this list
whenever you give your address to someone new).

If that does not accomplish your goal, please provide more detailed
explanation of what Org should do to help you in this situation.

-- Jan

* Re: TODO hooks
@ 2010-08-16 16:40   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-16 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> writes:

> Just make a checklist somewhere:
>
> * DONE Notify people of my current address
> - [X] Y
> - [X] Z
> - [X] W
>
> When your address changes, change the todo state to TODO and do M-x
> org-reset-checkbox-state-subtree to uncheck all the boxes.
>
> Of course, you still have to remember to do that, but don't have to
> remember /who/ you have to notify (because you can add to this list
> whenever you give your address to someone new).
>
> If that does not accomplish your goal, please provide more detailed
> explanation of what Org should do to help you in this situation.
>
> -- Jan

Yes this sounds good already thanks.
I was also just wondering in general if it could be done something more
general.

That's more an elisp problem though, for example when the result of the
command
ls -l <directory> | grep <file> == 1
add something to the agenda.