* Table alignment
@ 2011-08-31  5:46 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2011-08-31  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There is something in my .emacs that messes up table alignment in
org. Have been struggling to find it. If I remove my .emacs, table
alignment is fine. I have tried commenting parts of .emacs to identify
the offending lines. But somehow I am missing it.

A copy of my .emacs is at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10112644/dotemacs

Will be grateful if somebody could help? Is there a way I can load my
.emacs segment by segment and see when the problem appears?

Vikas

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2011-08-31  5:58 ` Mikhail Titov
From: Mikhail Titov @ 2011-08-31  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   1. Rename .emacs to renamed.el
   2. Start vanilla emacs
   3. Open your renamed.el file
   4. Select region of intereset
   5. Evaluate region with M-x eval-region
   6. See if it is still working
   7. Go to 4

On 08/31/2011 12:46 AM, Vikas Rawal wrote:
> There is something in my .emacs that messes up table alignment in
> org. Have been struggling to find it. If I remove my .emacs, table
> alignment is fine. I have tried commenting parts of .emacs to identify
> the offending lines. But somehow I am missing it.
>
> A copy of my .emacs is at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10112644/dotemacs
>
> Will be grateful if somebody could help? Is there a way I can load my
> .emacs segment by segment and see when the problem appears?
>
> Vikas

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2011-08-31  6:59 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-31  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> There is something in my .emacs that messes up table alignment in
> org. Have been struggling to find it. If I remove my .emacs, table
> alignment is fine.

OK. Looks like you have been experiementing with different fonts. Is
Liberation Sans-10 a monospaced font or a variable pitch (Is this
terminology correct). Table alignment works only if all characters
occupy the same width.

Focus on (set-default-font ...) stuff.

FWIW, This is what I use.

,----
| gdi:-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-20-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x62)
`----

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2011-08-31  9:55   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2011-08-31  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Focus on (set-default-font ...) stuff.

Thanks Jambunathan and Mikhail,

The problem is with the font stuff and, strangely, with desktop.

I need to comment out the region dealing with fonts, and the following
line to make the tables align.

(desktop-save-mode 1)

Has anyone else had a problem with use of desktop-save-mode?

Vikas

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2011-08-31 10:59   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2011-08-31 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> FWIW, This is what I use.
>
> ,----
> | gdi:-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-20-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1 (#x62)
> `----

My tables are not aligned with even this font. I did.

(set-default-font "-raster-Courier-normal-normal-normal-mono-20-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")

So, for the moment all settings for fonts and desktop-save-mode are disabled.

Vikas

* Table alignment
@ 2012-04-30 16:47 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-30 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

Aligning this table with C-c C-c when the cursor is in one of the cells
of the first column results in an error: "if: Wrong type argument:
char-or-string-p, nil".

It works in other cells or on one of the hlines.

|--------------------+----------+--------------------|
| Command            | A Number | Comments           |
|--------------------+----------+--------------------|
| =\alignauthor=     |      100 | Author alignment   |
|--------------------+----------+--------------------|
| =\numberofauthors= |      200 | Author enumeration |
|--------------------+----------+--------------------|
| =\table=           |      300 | For tables         |
|--------------------+----------+--------------------|
| =\table*=          |      400 | For wider tables   |
|--------------------+----------+--------------------|

Perhaps this is known behavior?  If so, sorry for the noise.  Org-mode
tables typically just work for me, so I was surprised to find a
situation where one did not.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2012-05-01  0:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Thomas,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aligning this table with C-c C-c when the cursor is in one of the cells
> of the first column results in an error: "if: Wrong type argument:
> char-or-string-p, nil".

It is confused by the "=" character, and thinks it is a formula that
needs evaluation.  I just pushed a fix for this, thanks for reporting
this!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Table alignment
@ 2012-05-01  6:15   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-05-01  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Aligning this table with C-c C-c when the cursor is in one of the cells
>> of the first column results in an error: "if: Wrong type argument:
>> char-or-string-p, nil".
>
> It is confused by the "=" character, and thinks it is a formula that
> needs evaluation.  I just pushed a fix for this, thanks for reporting
> this!

Thanks Bastien.  The fix works fine.

All the best,
Tom