* How to make ECM for new exporter?
@ 2012-05-05 17:21 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-05-05 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

I've been tinkering with Karl Voit's ACM-SIG export project and have
almost met the project goal using the old exporter.  The old LaTeX
exporter is able to produce a file that is close to the example provided
by ACM and which LaTeX is able to compile without error.  (The main
problem is an emacs-lisp code block that returns an error if it is
called before the first headline).

I'm starting now to work out the port to the new exporter.  I first
tried the new LaTeX exporter, which stops with this error:
Symbol's value as variable is void: value

The new html exporter exports the file without error.

The new ascii exporter stops with this error:
concat: Wrong type argument: wholenump, -7

I used toggle-debug-on-error with the hope that I'd be able to find the
problem, but the voluminous output doesn't give me any clues I can
understand.

Here's my question:

Is there a better way for me to find the error than bisecting with
:noexport:?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: How to make ECM for new exporter?
@ 2012-05-05 18:19 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-05-05 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> I'm starting now to work out the port to the new exporter.  I first
> tried the new LaTeX exporter, which stops with this error:
> Symbol's value as variable is void: value

It should be fixed in master.

> The new html exporter exports the file without error.
>
> The new ascii exporter stops with this error:
> concat: Wrong type argument: wholenump, -7

Hmm, probably something related to tables.

> I used toggle-debug-on-error with the hope that I'd be able to find the
> problem, but the voluminous output doesn't give me any clues I can
> understand.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> Is there a better way for me to find the error than bisecting with
> :noexport:?

You can bisect buffer by narrowing it and exporting the narrowed part.
You don't even have to limit yourself to headings.

Don't hesitate to send me the backtrace or, even better, the faulty part
of the document.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to make ECM for new exporter?
@ 2012-05-05 19:24   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-05-05 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I'm starting now to work out the port to the new exporter.  I first
>> tried the new LaTeX exporter, which stops with this error:
>> Symbol's value as variable is void: value
>
> It should be fixed in master.

Yes it is fixed, thanks.  It turns out that was the only problem, and the new
exporter now generates a .tex file.  It looks like I just need to tweak
the configuration a bit.

>> The new html exporter exports the file without error.
>>
>> The new ascii exporter stops with this error:
>> concat: Wrong type argument: wholenump, -7
>
> Hmm, probably something related to tables.
>
>> I used toggle-debug-on-error with the hope that I'd be able to find the
>> problem, but the voluminous output doesn't give me any clues I can
>> understand.
>>
>> Here's my question:
>>
>> Is there a better way for me to find the error than bisecting with
>> :noexport:?
>
> You can bisect buffer by narrowing it and exporting the narrowed part.
> You don't even have to limit yourself to headings.
>
> Don't hesitate to send me the backtrace or, even better, the faulty part
> of the document.
>

> Regards,

Thanks for your quick response and kind offer of more assistance.  I'll
take you up on it if I hit other roadblocks.

All the best,
Tom