* Emacs 21
@ 2009-04-21 12:03 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was just notified that Org-mode no longer installs properly on
Emacs 21.  The reason for this is that org-protocol.el requires
the url.el package which apparently does not exist in Emacs 21.

While you can

- run uncompiled Org on Emacs 21 without using org-protocol
- try to find url.el for Emacs 21

and while I will not willingly break compatibility in other places,
I will from today stop the official support for Emacs 21.  Also the
website now says that Emacs 22 is a requirement for Org-mode to
function properly.

- Carsten

* Re: Emacs 21
@ 2009-04-21 12:19 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-21 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hm - the only function we now use from the url package is `url-unhex'.

That is just:

(defun url-unhex (x)
  (if (> x ?9)
      (if (>= x ?a)
	  (+ 10 (- x ?a))
	(+ 10 (- x ?A)))
    (- x ?0)))

As it's only 6 lines of code:

  How would we define the function if the package is not present?

  Sebastian

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> Hi,
>
> I was just notified that Org-mode no longer installs properly on
> Emacs 21.  The reason for this is that org-protocol.el requires
> the url.el package which apparently does not exist in Emacs 21.
>
> While you can
>
> - run uncompiled Org on Emacs 21 without using org-protocol
> - try to find url.el for Emacs 21
>
> and while I will not willingly break compatibility in other places,
> I will from today stop the official support for Emacs 21.  Also the
> website now says that Emacs 22 is a requirement for Org-mode to
> function properly.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Emacs 21
@ 2009-04-21 12:25   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hm - the only function we now use from the url package is `url-unhex'.
>
> That is just:
>
> (defun url-unhex (x)
>  (if (> x ?9)
>      (if (>= x ?a)
> 	  (+ 10 (- x ?a))
> 	(+ 10 (- x ?A)))
>    (- x ?0)))
>

> As it's only 6 lines of code:
>
>  How would we define the function if the package is not present?

(defun org-protocol-url-unhex (x)
  (if (> x ?9)
      (if (>= x ?a)
	  (+ 10 (- x ?a))
	(+ 10 (- x ?A)))
    (- x ?0)))

OK, lets remove it.  I'll wait for the patch.

Still, official Emacs 21 support will stop.

- Carsten

>  Sebastian
>

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just notified that Org-mode no longer installs properly on
>> Emacs 21.  The reason for this is that org-protocol.el requires
>> the url.el package which apparently does not exist in Emacs 21.
>>
>> While you can
>>
>> - run uncompiled Org on Emacs 21 without using org-protocol
>> - try to find url.el for Emacs 21
>>
>> and while I will not willingly break compatibility in other places,
>> I will from today stop the official support for Emacs 21.  Also the
>> website now says that Emacs 22 is a requirement for Org-mode to
>> function properly.
>>
>> - Carsten

* Re: Emacs 21
@ 2009-04-21 17:15     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-04-21 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2009-04-21 13:25 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Still, official Emacs 21 support will stop.

I think this is more than OK. There are tons of past releases still
around that runs nicely on Emacs 21.

--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.