* RELEASE:  Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-05  6:40 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-05  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode List

Hi

I am releasing Org version 6.08.  The biggest news is the integration of
John Wiegley's attachment system that allows to keep a directory with
file
attachments for each entry.  Great stuff.

As usually, you can get the release through GIT, or at http://orgmode.org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 6.08
=======================

Incompatible changes
====================

The default structure of IDs has changed

     IDs created by Org have changed a bit:
     - By default, there is no prefix on the ID.  There used to be
       an "Org" prefix, but I now think this is not necessary.
     - IDs use only lower-case letters, no upper-case letters
       anymore.  The reason for this is that IDs are now also used
       as directory names for org-attach, and some systems do not
       distinguish upper and lower case in the file system.
     - The ID string derived from the current time is now /reversed/
       to become an ID.  This assures that the first two letters
       of the ID change fast, so hat it makes sense to split them
       off to create subdirectories to balance load.
     - You can now set the `org-id-method' to `uuidgen' on systems
       which support it.

C-c C-a no longer calls `show-all'
----------------------------------

    The reason for this is that C-c C-a is now used for the
    attachment system.  On the rare occasions that this
    command is needed, use `M-x show-all', or `C-u C-u C-u TAB'.

Details
=======

New attachment system
---------------------

     You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.
     This works by creating special directories based on the ID of
     an entry, and storing files in these directories.  Org can
     keep track of changes to the attachments by automatically
     committing changes to git.  See the manual for more
     information.

     Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new
     concept and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.

New remember template escapes
-----------------------------

      %^{prop}p   to insert a property
      %k          the heading of the item currently being clocked
      %K          a link to the heading of the item currently being
clocked

     Also, when you exit remember with `C-2 C-c C-c', the item
     will be filed as a child of the item currently being
     clocked.  So the idea is, if you are working on something and
     think of a new task related to this or a new note to be
     added, you can use this to quickly add information to that
     task.

     Thanks to James TD Smith for a patch to this effect.

Clicking with mouse-2 on clock info in mode-line visits the clock.

     Thanks to James TD Smith for a patch to this effect.

New file in contrib: lisp/org-checklist.el

     This module deals with repeated tasks that have checkbox
     lists below them.

     Thanks to James TD Smith for this contribution.

New in-buffer setting #+STYLE
-----------------------------

     It can be used to locally set the variable
     `org-export-html-style-extra'.  Several such lines are
     allowed-, they will all be concatenated.  For an example on
     how to use it, see the publishing tutorial.

* Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-05 21:18 ` William Henney
       [not found]   ` <08B4A2E6-A2DF-4AA6-815D-CBE0F708EDE7@uva.nl>
From: William Henney @ 2008-10-05 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org-mode List

Hi Carsten

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am releasing Org version 6.08.  The biggest news is the integration of
> John Wiegley's attachment system that allows to keep a directory with file
> attachments for each entry.  Great stuff.
>
> As usually, you can get the release through GIT, or at http://orgmode.org

Great! But it looks like the link http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz is
still pointing at 6.07

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
       [not found]   ` <08B4A2E6-A2DF-4AA6-815D-CBE0F708EDE7@uva.nl>
@ 2008-10-06  0:29     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2008-10-06  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Org-mode List

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Maybe a caching problem?

Maybe. But caching where?

$ curl -s http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz | tar tzf - | head -1
org-6.07b/

I am not using any proxy (to the best of my knowledge).

Are you saying that org.tar.gz is 6.08 for you?

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2008-10-06  2:21       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-06  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: Org-mode List

  On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM, William Henney wrote:
  > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  >> Maybe a caching problem?
  >>

  > Maybe. But caching where?

  > $ curl -s http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz | tar tzf - | head -1
  > org-6.07b/
  >
  > I am not using any proxy (to the best of my knowledge).
  >
  > Are you saying that org.tar.gz is 6.08 for you?

FWIW, it is for me.

,----
| lappy:~/tmp $ curl -s http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz | tar tzf - | head -1
| org-6.08c/
`----

-- Manish

* Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-06  2:39         ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2008-10-06  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Org-mode List

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:59 AM, William Henney wrote:
>  > On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>  >> Maybe a caching problem?
>  >>
>  >
>  > Maybe. But caching where?
>  >
>  > --------------------------------------------------------------
>  > $ curl -s http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz | tar tzf - | head -1
>  > org-6.07b/
>  > --------------------------------------------------------------
>  >
>  > I am not using any proxy (to the best of my knowledge).
>  >
>  > Are you saying that org.tar.gz is 6.08 for you?
>
> FWIW, it is for me.
>
> ,----
> | lappy:~/tmp $ curl -s http://orgmode.org/org.tar.gz | tar tzf - | head -1
> | org-6.08c/
> `----

Thanks for checking Manish. Strange. I get org-6.07b from any machine
on my home network, but when I ssh to the office and do it from there
I get org-6.08c, just like I should. Maybe my home ISP is running a
transparent caching proxy...

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2008-10-06  4:26 ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2008-10-06  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As always, thanks so much for the hard work!  And also to John!

On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> New attachment system
> ---------------------
>
>     You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.  This
>     works by creating special directories based on the ID of an entry,
>     and storing files in these directories.  Org can keep track of
>     changes to the attachments by automatically committing changes to
>     git.  See the manual for more information.
>
>     Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new concept
>     and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.

Well!  My curiosity's certainly piqued, but I confess that I don't quite
get the applications here.  Any chance Carsten or John would be willing
to let us know how they're using this?

Also, the synopsis above and the manual both mention git integration,
but I don't understand what exactly is done.  It sounds like if the org
file lives in a directory that is a git repo, any additions or changes
to the files in the auto-generated data/ subdirectory are automatically
committed?  Is this the right idea?  What does the synchronize command
do if the directory isn't a git repo?

I am thrilled to see a move towards some nice defaults for org and git
integration.  I see that in org-attach.el you're using shell-command to
call git directly.  If you don't mind, may I ask if you considered using
git.el that is distributed with git (in contrib/emacs/), or even magit
(http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/)?

Thanks again,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 193 bytes --]

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-06  6:03   ` Manish
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Manish @ 2008-10-06  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Austin Frank wrote:
  > As always, thanks so much for the hard work!  And also to John!
  >
  > On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:
  >
  >> New attachment system
  >> ---------------------
  >>
  >>     You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.  This
  >>     works by creating special directories based on the ID of an entry,
  >>     and storing files in these directories.  Org can keep track of
  >>     changes to the attachments by automatically committing changes to
  >>     git.  See the manual for more information.
  >>
  >>     Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new concept
  >>     and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.
  >
  > Well!  My curiosity's certainly piqued, but I confess that I don't quite
  > get the applications here.  Any chance Carsten or John would be willing
  > to let us know how they're using this?

Let me take a stab at it.

1. Create a test file. test.org
2. Add a task to it.
3. Do `C-c C-a' while on the task.
4. Press `a' from the launcher menu to add an attachment.
5. Select a file to be attached to it (somewhere in a subdirectory
   named data where org files are contained (careful, it will /move/
   the file, not copy it.)
6. Attach another file to it using #3-5 (or use `c'.)
7. Press `C-c C-a' followed by `o' to open an attachment from the
   options.

I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:

1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),
   and
2. there was another option to archive the attachment directory from
the launcher menu itself (a `Z' for zip, just like there is `D' for
deletion.)

  > Also, the synopsis above and the manual both mention git integration,
  > but I don't understand what exactly is done.  It sounds like if the org
  > file lives in a directory that is a git repo, any additions or changes
  > to the files in the auto-generated data/ subdirectory are automatically
  > committed?  Is this the right idea?  What does the synchronize command
  > do if the directory isn't a git repo?

If the directory where attchments are kept/maintained (not the Org
files themselves) is turned into a git repo, then org-attach.el will
automatically commit changes to it.

  > I am thrilled to see a move towards some nice defaults for org and git
  > integration.  I see that in org-attach.el you're using shell-command to
  > call git directly.  If you don't mind, may I ask if you considered using
  > git.el that is distributed with git (in contrib/emacs/), or even magit
  > (http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/)?

I am not sure but I think git.el and magit.el etc. make it easier for
the end-user to interact with git but org-attach.el just needs to
execute add and commit on the git repo so an additional dependency can
be avoided.

As always, thank you Carsten and John for the amazing amazing
software.

-- Manish

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-06  8:47     ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-10-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I like that alot!  I might second the suggestion to provide an option
to copy files.  In fact, depending on the filesystem (same filesystem
or not, on a GNU/Linux system), a hard link would be fantastic!

Thank you for this.

Alan Davis

> Let me take a stab at it.
>
> 1. Create a test file. test.org
> 2. Add a task to it.
> 3. Do `C-c C-a' while on the task.
> 4. Press `a' from the launcher menu to add an attachment.
> 5. Select a file to be attached to it (somewhere in a subdirectory
>   named data where org files are contained (careful, it will /move/
>   the file, not copy it.)
> 6. Attach another file to it using #3-5 (or use `c'.)
> 7. Press `C-c C-a' followed by `o' to open an attachment from the
>   options.

I like that alot!

> I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
> convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:
>
> 1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),

 I might second the suggestion/request  to provide an option to copy
files.  In fact, depending on the filesystem (same filesystem or not,
on a GNU/Linux system), a hard link would be fantastic!  I have a
somewhat convoluted bunch of directories, and it took me some time to
find a way to hardlink a file that I'd moved into the ~/org/data
directory, back to it's source directory.

Thank you for this.

--
Alan Davis

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-06 17:15     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-06 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Manish wrote:
> I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
> convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:
>
> 1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),
>  and

I think John implemented this as "move" because the original idea was
to attach files that have no other home, that should really be
associated with the task, only live inside the task.  But I could see
copies, and even more so hard links as being useful as well.  This
would make entries into some kind of "Smart Folder", where you easily
links files without having to insert links into the Org file.

> 2. there was another option to archive the attachment directory from
> the launcher menu itself (a `Z' for zip, just like there is `D' for
> deletion.)

Well, C-c C-a has at least 52 keys to play with, so we can add useful
ideas, even though I would not like to bloat the system.

Zipping could be useful, but I guess the target zip file should then
be outside the task attachment directory?  Where?

Maybe one could have a zipper that exports the task to HTML as
README.html and wraps it up with all the attached files.... :-)

- Carsten

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-07  9:36       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2008-10-07  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Comments on the interesting attachment feature.

1.  This function needs "(interactive)", i think.

(defun org-attach-open-in-emacs ()
  "Open attachment, force opening in Emacs.
See `org-attach-open'."
  (org-attach-open 'in-emacs))

2.  This is trivial to rebind, but my guess is that emacs types would
prefer to open things in emacs using the nonshifted keys.  e.g. dired
instead of file browser, emacs instead of text editor.

3.  I'm getting the idea that the attachment system is partly to avoid
linking files?  This is good because links are easy to break.  The key
is to have a directory that is only for org, and to use the filesystem
to identify the attachments.  Then there is no broken link to a file.
I like the idea.

The current implementation explicitly lists the attachments.  Perhaps
they could be retrieved from the dir?

4.  Another possibility, if we have a directory dedicated to a node,
might be to inline the files under the node.  Each subnode would be
the name of a file in the dir associated with the node.  The contents
of the subnode are the contents of the file.  Then any editing of a
headline would change the filename, and any editing of the contents
would change the file contents.  Searching would find things in the
contents.  Yet data are only stored in the files themselves, not in
the org file.

For what it's worth.

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-07 11:05         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Oct 7, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> Comments on the interesting attachment feature.
>
> 1.  This function needs "(interactive)", i think.
>
> (defun org-attach-open-in-emacs ()
>  "Open attachment, force opening in Emacs.
> See `org-attach-open'."
>  (org-attach-open 'in-emacs))

Indeed, I will fix this later today

> 2.  This is trivial to rebind, but my guess is that emacs types would
> prefer to open things in emacs using the nonshifted keys.  e.g. dired
> instead of file browser, emacs instead of text editor.

Not if it is a PDF or Word file or so, not you don't.  Opening
attachments uses the exact same mechanism as following links with `C-c
C-o'.  So the idea is (I should also mention this in the attachment
section of the documentation), that you configure org-file-apps org
one of he system-dependent variants to open certain file type with
external applications, and others inside Emacs.  Then the normal
opening of an attachment will always do "the right thing", and you can
overrule this standard mechanism by using "O" instead of "o".

For example, the default setting in org-file-apps already opens .org
and .txt files inside Emacs.

> 3.  I'm getting the idea that the attachment system is partly to avoid
> linking files?

Yes, I think so too.

> This is good because links are easy to break.  The key
> is to have a directory that is only for org, and to use the filesystem
> to identify the attachments.  Then there is no broken link to a file.
> I like the idea.
>
> The current implementation explicitly lists the attachments.  Perhaps
> they could be retrieved from the dir?

Yes, also a discussion point I had with John.  I think it is OK to
have that list there so that you do not have to open the directory in
order to see what you have, but things an get out of synch.  Use "z"
to get them back into synch.  I will consider to use a live `directory-
files' when it comes to selecting an attachment for opening.

> 4.  Another possibility, if we have a directory dedicated to a node,
> might be to inline the files under the node.  Each subnode would be
> the name of a file in the dir associated with the node.  The contents
> of the subnode are the contents of the file.  Then any editing of a
> headline would change the filename, and any editing of the contents
> would change the file contents.  Searching would find things in the
> contents.  Yet data are only stored in the files themselves, not in
> the org file.

Wild idea, too wild for me, inlining is a can of worms.....  I think
it is better to export from org to files where needed.

HTH

- Carsten

> For what it's worth.

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-08 10:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-08 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 6, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Manish wrote:

>  On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Austin Frank wrote:
>> As always, thanks so much for the hard work!  And also to John!
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 05 2008, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>>> New attachment system
>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>>    You can now attach files to each node in the outline tree.  This
>>>    works by creating special directories based on the ID of an
>>> entry,
>>>    and storing files in these directories.  Org can keep track of
>>>    changes to the attachments by automatically committing changes to
>>>    git.  See the manual for more information.
>>>
>>>    Thanks to John Wiegley who contributed this fantastic new concept
>>>    and wrote org-attach.el to implement it.
>>
>> Well!  My curiosity's certainly piqued, but I confess that I don't
>> quite
>> get the applications here.  Any chance Carsten or John would be
>> willing
>> to let us know how they're using this?
>
> Let me take a stab at it.
>
> 1. Create a test file. test.org
> 2. Add a task to it.
> 3. Do `C-c C-a' while on the task.
> 4. Press `a' from the launcher menu to add an attachment.
> 5. Select a file to be attached to it (somewhere in a subdirectory
>   named data where org files are contained (careful, it will /move/
>   the file, not copy it.)
> 6. Attach another file to it using #3-5 (or use `c'.)
> 7. Press `C-c C-a' followed by `o' to open an attachment from the
>   options.
>
> I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
> convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:
>
> 1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),
>   and

I have now:

- select the preferred method with org-attachment-method (cp or mv or
ln)
- New keys `c', `m', `l' allow to select a specific method for a
single attachment.
- Creating an attachment as an emacs buffer used to be on `c', it is
now on `n'.

- Carsten

> 2. there was another option to archive the attachment directory from
> the launcher menu itself (a `Z' for zip, just like there is `D' for
> deletion.)
>

>> Also, the synopsis above and the manual both mention git integration,
>> but I don't understand what exactly is done.  It sounds like if the
>> org
>> file lives in a directory that is a git repo, any additions or
>> changes
>> to the files in the auto-generated data/ subdirectory are
>> automatically
>> committed?  Is this the right idea?  What does the synchronize
>> command
>> do if the directory isn't a git repo?
>
> If the directory where attchments are kept/maintained (not the Org
> files themselves) is turned into a git repo, then org-attach.el will
> automatically commit changes to it.
>

>> I am thrilled to see a move towards some nice defaults for org and
>> git
>> integration.  I see that in org-attach.el you're using shell-
>> command to
>> call git directly.  If you don't mind, may I ask if you considered
>> using
>> git.el that is distributed with git (in contrib/emacs/), or even
>> magit
>> (http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/)?
>
> I am not sure but I think git.el and magit.el etc. make it easier for
> the end-user to interact with git but org-attach.el just needs to
> execute add and commit on the git repo so an additional dependency can
> be avoided.
>
> As always, thank you Carsten and John for the amazing amazing
> software.
>
> -- Manish

* Re: Re: RELEASE: Org-mode 6.08a
@ 2008-10-08 11:43       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-08 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  >> I am sure there's more to it but this was enough for me to be
  >> convinced of it's utility.  I just wish that:
  >>
  >> 1. it copied attachemnts instead of moving them (may be an option),
  >>  and
  >
  > I have now:
  >
  > - select the preferred method with org-attachment-method (cp or mv or ln)
  > - New keys `c', `m', `l' allow to select a specific method for a single
  > attachment.
  > - Creating an attachment as an emacs buffer used to be on `c', it is now on
  > `n'.

Thank you, Carsten.

-- Manish