* [org-beamer] inline slides?
@ 2010-01-26 21:38 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2010-01-26 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten and other beamerers--

Thanks for the excellent extension to org.  I've used it for one
presentation already and found it quite useful.

I have an idea that doesn't yet qualify as a feature request, more like
an idea for discussion.  What do people think about the idea of adding
the capability to write inline slides, akin to the way we can currently
write inline TODO items?

The parallels between the two applications seem pretty significant to
me.  Sometimes you're in the middle of a long block of text or an
outline tree where you don't want to disrupt the structure, and you want
to add a different kind of content alongside the current material.

The application I have in mind has to do with writing my doctoral
thesis.  I know that I'll be writing long chapters; I also know that
I'll have to prepare slides for my public defense.  Ideally, during the
writing process I'll be able to notice a series of important points and
drop into an inline slide to jot them down for the talk.  Similarly, I
could see wanting to start a section with an overview slide, but not
wanting to alter the structure of the section.

Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.

Early on in the process of developing org-beamer, a suggestion was made
that footnotes could serve as a way of entering \note{} elements into
beamer slides.  That proposal sees notes as ways of annotating slides.
I'm interested in sort of flipping that idea around, so that slides are
basically short annotations of the major points in my thesis.

Do people think that an inline-slides interface akin to the inline-tasks
interface would be a useful way of incorporating beamer slides into org
documents?

Thanks,
/au

--
Austin Frank
http://aufrank.net

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [org-beamer] inline slides?
@ 2010-01-27 16:10 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-27 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:46 -0500,
Austin Frank wrote:
> I have an idea that doesn't yet qualify as a feature request, more like
> an idea for discussion.  What do people think about the idea of adding
> the capability to write inline slides, akin to the way we can currently
> write inline TODO items?

Interesting!  I am trying to get my mind around this.  It is
definitely an intriguing idea, putting aside the complexities of
implementation.  I could see it being useful, along the lines of all
the tangling examples in org-babel.

Whether I would use something like this or not is difficult to
ascertain.  I don't need to write long documents like a thesis (any
more! although my students do ;-); more importantly, I often will
prepare more than one presentation based on a given project and each
presentation will be substantially different enough to make it
difficult to embed slides.

> [...]
> The application I have in mind has to do with writing my doctoral
> thesis.  I know that I'll be writing long chapters; I also know that
> I'll have to prepare slides for my public defense.  Ideally, during the
> writing process I'll be able to notice a series of important points and
> drop into an inline slide to jot them down for the talk.  Similarly, I
> could see wanting to start a section with an overview slide, but not
> wanting to alter the structure of the section.

Yes, this I can see.  However, the type of different content you may
wish to attach/embed will depend on its final purpose.  That is, in
terms of presentations, who will be in the audience?

> Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
> at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
> text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.

This begs the question: maybe an "export to org based on tags"
function is all that is required?  And this is probably already
implemented; I hesitate to suggest how or where, given my lack of
awareness of all the various multitude of features of org-mode, but I
can imagine that sparse trees could be part of any solution?

Just some thoughts...

eric

* Re: [org-beamer] inline slides?
@ 2010-01-28 10:41   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-01-28 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can see the merit of your idea about writing the slides when writing the
thesis, but you could also create a "Presentation" headline at the and of the
org file and put commented anchor and links in the the thesis and in the
slides. This would allow you to easily jump from on to another.

Another option would be splitting the frame in two windows, one showing the
thesis and the other one showing the slides.

- Darlan

At Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:10:01 +0000,
Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> At Tue, 26 Jan 2010 16:38:46 -0500,
> Austin Frank wrote:
> > I have an idea that doesn't yet qualify as a feature request, more like
> > an idea for discussion.  What do people think about the idea of adding
> > the capability to write inline slides, akin to the way we can currently
> > write inline TODO items?
>
> Interesting!  I am trying to get my mind around this.  It is
> definitely an intriguing idea, putting aside the complexities of
> implementation.  I could see it being useful, along the lines of all
> the tangling examples in org-babel.
>
> Whether I would use something like this or not is difficult to
> ascertain.  I don't need to write long documents like a thesis (any
> more! although my students do ;-); more importantly, I often will
> prepare more than one presentation based on a given project and each
> presentation will be substantially different enough to make it
> difficult to embed slides.
>
> > [...]
> > The application I have in mind has to do with writing my doctoral
> > thesis.  I know that I'll be writing long chapters; I also know that
> > I'll have to prepare slides for my public defense.  Ideally, during the
> > writing process I'll be able to notice a series of important points and
> > drop into an inline slide to jot them down for the talk.  Similarly, I
> > could see wanting to start a section with an overview slide, but not
> > wanting to alter the structure of the section.
>
> Yes, this I can see.  However, the type of different content you may
> wish to attach/embed will depend on its final purpose.  That is, in
> terms of presentations, who will be in the audience?
>
> > Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
> > at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
> > text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.
>
> This begs the question: maybe an "export to org based on tags"
> function is all that is required?  And this is probably already
> implemented; I hesitate to suggest how or where, given my lack of
> awareness of all the various multitude of features of org-mode, but I
> can imagine that sparse trees could be part of any solution?
>
> Just some thoughts...
>
> eric

* Re: [org-beamer] inline slides?
@ 2010-01-29 17:13   ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2010-01-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Jan 27 2010, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> I could see it being useful, along the lines of all the tangling
> examples in org-babel.

Yes!  Tangling of embedded code is a good comparison.

> more importantly, I often will prepare more than one presentation
> based on a given project and each presentation will be substantially
> different enough to make it difficult to embed slides.

> Yes, this I can see.  However, the type of different content you may
> wish to attach/embed will depend on its final purpose.  That is, in
> terms of presentations, who will be in the audience?

These are good points.  My inclination would be to handle variations on
the same talk using git.  For projects where this workflow makes sense,
I would write the initial paper and presentation together.  Upon
completion, I would make a git tag marking the finished state for that
version of the talk.  Subsequent talks could be created by creating a
branch.  In most cases, I would probably edit the slides-only version of
the file directly (rather than in the context of the original paper).

>> Since slides are mostly just headlines with special tags and properties,
>> at the end of the process I could easily selectively export just the
>> text of the dissertation or just the embedded slides.
>
> This begs the question: maybe an "export to org based on tags"
> function is all that is required?  And this is probably already
> implemented; I hesitate to suggest how or where, given my lack of
> awareness of all the various multitude of features of org-mode, but I
> can imagine that sparse trees could be part of any solution?

Yes, I think that the basis of the export function will be building a sparse
tree and then exporting the visible buffer.  I wouldn't say this is all that
is required, though.  I'd really like to have the

*************** embedded slide

style of inline definition.  Again, this allows slides to be embedded
without changing the surrounding outline context.

> Just some thoughts...

Thanks!

/au

--