* Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-17  9:58 SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-17  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The latest stable release of Emacs is 24.3.1, which does not contain Org
version 8? Therefore, using Org 8 requires (manual) installation? I am using
a modified version of Emacs on Mac, with ESS and other packages
pre-installed. This version has Org 7.9.3 though :(

* Re: Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-17 10:05 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-07-17 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SabreWolfy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> The latest stable release of Emacs is 24.3.1, which does not contain Org
> version 8? Therefore, using Org 8 requires (manual) installation? I am using
> a modified version of Emacs on Mac, with ESS and other packages
> pre-installed. This version has Org 7.9.3 though :(

This is because Emacs 24.3.1 was released before Org 8 was released. Org
8 will ship with the next release, Emacs 24.4. Alternatively you can
update to Org 8 via elpa. (M-x list-packages).

Nicolas.

* Re: Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-19 11:14   ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-19 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

<snip>
> Alternatively you can update to Org 8 via elpa. (M-x list-packages).
<snip>

Thanks :) I really wanted to move to Org 8, but I'd been putting off
upgrading for months, as I thought it was a complicated procedure, which
would take a lot of time to figure out. Turns out it only took a few
minutes, with everything explained here:

http://orgmode.org/elpa.html

:)

* Re: Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-19 13:24     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-19 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook <at> yahoo.fr> writes:
>
> <snip>
>> Alternatively you can update to Org 8 via elpa. (M-x list-packages).
> <snip>
>
> Thanks :) I really wanted to move to Org 8, but I'd been putting off
> upgrading for months, as I thought it was a complicated procedure, which
> would take a lot of time to figure out. Turns out it only took a few
> minutes, with everything explained here:
>
> http://orgmode.org/elpa.html
>
> :)

    http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html

Keep this page in mind in case you encounter problems - some variables
have changed names e.g., and the whole export mechanism was revamped:
you may come up against an upgrade problem some time *after* you upgrade
:-)

--
Nick

* Re: Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-23 13:16   ` SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2014-07-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

> This is because Emacs 24.3.1 was released before Org 8 was released.

As an aside, where does the "sub-minor" version number for Emacs originate?
I'm running 24.3.1 and the next release is 24.4. However, even though I
can't find any information about 24.3.2, a search of this list for "24.3.2"
returns results...

* Re: Emacs with Org 8?
@ 2014-07-27 13:26     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SabreWolfy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> As an aside, where does the "sub-minor" version number for Emacs originate?
> I'm running 24.3.1 and the next release is 24.4. However, even though I
> can't find any information about 24.3.2, a search of this list for "24.3.2"
> returns results...

 Bastien