* org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-24 19:47 Andy Schönemann
From: Andy Schönemann @ 2012-08-24 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just upgraded to org-mode 7.9 and I want to test the new org-notify.el
package. I inserted the two lines (require 'org-notify) and
(org-notify-start) into my init file. But I can't use this mode.That means
I can't run none of the commands with M-x org-notify-*.

Emacs version 23.3.1

maroony

* Re: org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-25  7:52 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-08-25  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andy Schönemann writes:
> I just upgraded to org-mode 7.9 and I want to test the new
> org-notify.el package. I inserted the two lines (require 'org-notify)
> and (org-notify-start) into my init file. But I can't use this
> mode.That means I can't run none of the commands with M-x
> org-notify-*.

None of those functions are interactive, so you can't run them with M-x.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-25  9:13   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Peter Münster, emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> None of those functions are interactive, so you can't run them with
> M-x.

`org-notify-start' is now interactive in git.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-25 12:42     ` maroony
From: maroony @ 2012-08-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:

> Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:
>
> > None of those functions are interactive, so you can't run them with
> > M-x.
>
> `org-notify-start' is now interactive in git.

Thanks for your answers! The new notify package sounds very interesting, but it
would be great to see some more documentation for it.

At the moment I don't know how to set a notify property on an todo-item. A small
example would be very helpful.

* Re: org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-25 12:59       ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-08-25 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: maroony; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

maroony <AndySchoenemann@gmail.com> writes:

> Bastien <bzg <at> altern.org> writes:
>

>> Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:
>>
>> > None of those functions are interactive, so you can't run them with
>> > M-x.
>>
>> `org-notify-start' is now interactive in git.
>>

> Thanks for your answers! The new notify package sounds very interesting, but it
> would be great to see some more documentation for it.
>
> At the moment I don't know how to set a notify property on an todo-item. A small
> example would be very helpful.

Try this:

    M-x find-library RET org-notify.el RET

and look through the header.  I am seeing this and I don't know how
helpful or true it is.

,---- From org-notify.el
| Get notifications, when there is something to do.  Sometimes, you
| need a reminder a few days before a deadline, e.g. to buy a
| present for a birthday, and then another notification one hour
| before to have enough time to choose the right clothes.  For
| other events, e.g. rolling the dustbin to the roadside once per
| week, you probably need another kind of notification strategy.
| This package tries to satisfy the various needs.
|
| In order to activate this package, you must add the following
| code into your .emacs:
|
|   (require 'org-notify)
|   (org-notify-start)
|
| Example setup:
|
| (org-notify-add 'appt
|                 '(:time "-1s" :period "20s" :duration 10
|                   :actions (-message -ding))
|                 '(:time "15m" :period "2m" :duration 100
|                   :actions -notify)
|                 '(:time "2h" :period "5m" :actions -message)
|                 '(:time "3d" :actions -email))
|
| This means for todo-items with `notify' property set to `appt': 3
| days before deadline, send a reminder-email, 2 hours before
| deadline, start to send messages every 5 minutes, then 15 minutes
| before deadline, start to pop up notification windows every 2
| minutes.  The timeout of the window is set to 100 seconds.
| Finally, when deadline is overdue, send messages and make noise."
`----

* Re: org-notify.el doesn't work
@ 2012-08-27 19:39         ` maroony
From: maroony @ 2012-08-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for your help. But this is something I already know. I'll try to contact
the author.