* Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-13 17:59 Manuel Danzl
From: Manuel Danzl @ 2010-10-13 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Hello all,
I'm a happy org-mode user since a few month's and I'm using org-publish
to write on some work related documentation. Now my collegues asked me
to export the docs not only to html but also to plain text!

Unfortunately, org-mode currently lacks a publishing function exporting
to ascii, so I kindly ask you to implement it.

I suggest, this may sound like an awkward request, but there certainly
are some uses for it. At least I would heavily use it! :)

TIA
Manuel

* Re: Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-13 19:12 ` Juan Pechiar
From: Juan Pechiar @ 2010-10-13 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Danzl; +Cc: Org-mode ml

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:59:23PM +0200, Manuel Danzl wrote:
> I'm a happy org-mode user since a few month's and I'm using org-publish
> to write on some work related documentation. Now my collegues asked me
> to export the docs not only to html but also to plain text!
>
> Unfortunately, org-mode currently lacks a publishing function exporting
> to ascii, so I kindly ask you to implement it.

Copying from the definition for org-publish-org-to-html:

#+BEGIN_SRC: emacs-lisp

(defun org-publish-org-to-ascii (plist filename pub-dir)
  "Publish an org file to ASCII.
See `org-publish-org-to' to the list of arguments."
  (org-publish-with-aux-preprocess-maybe
    (org-publish-org-to "ascii" plist filename pub-dir)))

#+END_SRC

you can even use "utf8" instead of "ascii".

Then use the newly defined org-publish-org-to-ascii as the
:publishing-function in your publish project.

Not tested, you try it :-)

Regards,
.j.

* Re: Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-14 11:40   ` Matthias Danzl
From: Matthias Danzl @ 2010-10-14 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Pechiar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Am 13.10.2010 21:12, schrieb Juan Pechiar:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:59:23PM +0200, Manuel Danzl wrote:
>> I'm a happy org-mode user since a few month's and I'm using org-publish
>> to write on some work related documentation. Now my collegues asked me
>> to export the docs not only to html but also to plain text!
>>
>> Unfortunately, org-mode currently lacks a publishing function exporting
>> to ascii, so I kindly ask you to implement it.
>
> Copying from the definition for org-publish-org-to-html:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC: emacs-lisp
>
> (defun org-publish-org-to-ascii (plist filename pub-dir)
>    "Publish an org file to ASCII.
> See `org-publish-org-to' to the list of arguments."
>    (org-publish-with-aux-preprocess-maybe
>      (org-publish-org-to "ascii" plist filename pub-dir)))
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> you can even use "utf8" instead of "ascii".
>
> Then use the newly defined org-publish-org-to-ascii as the
> :publishing-function in your publish project.
>
> Not tested, you try it :-)
>
> Regards,
> .j.

That did the job! Thanks Juan. I can now publish to html and txt. Very
nice.

Sorry I've created a lot of confusion, cause some people thought, I was
talking about the =export= function, not the =publish= function. Thanks
for all the replies though.

I even

@ 2010-10-14 11:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Danzl; +Cc: Juan Pechiar, emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Matthias Danzl wrote:

> Am 13.10.2010 21:12, schrieb Juan Pechiar:
>> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 07:59:23PM +0200, Manuel Danzl wrote:
>>> I'm a happy org-mode user since a few month's and I'm using org-
>>> publish
>>> to write on some work related documentation. Now my collegues
>>> asked me
>>> to export the docs not only to html but also to plain text!
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, org-mode currently lacks a publishing function
>>> exporting
>>> to ascii, so I kindly ask you to implement it.
>>
>> Copying from the definition for org-publish-org-to-html:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_SRC: emacs-lisp
>>
>> (defun org-publish-org-to-ascii (plist filename pub-dir)
>>   "Publish an org file to ASCII.
>> See `org-publish-org-to' to the list of arguments."
>>   (org-publish-with-aux-preprocess-maybe
>>     (org-publish-org-to "ascii" plist filename pub-dir)))
>>
>> #+END_SRC

Good idea, I have added these functions to org-publish.el

Thanks.

- Carsten

>> you can even use "utf8" instead of "ascii".
>>
>> Then use the newly defined org-publish-org-to-ascii as the
>> :publishing-function in your publish project.
>>
>> Not tested, you try it :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> .j.
>

> That did the job! Thanks Juan. I can now publish to html and txt.
> Very nice.
>
> Sorry I've created a lot of confusion, cause some people thought, I
> was talking about the =export= function, not the =publish= function.
> Thanks for all the replies though.
>
> I even
>
> Manuel

- Carsten

* Re: Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-14 13:00       ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-14 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Juan Pechiar, emacs-orgmode, Matthias Danzl

>>> Copying from the definition for org-publish-org-to-html:
>>>
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC: emacs-lisp
>>>
>>> (defun org-publish-org-to-ascii (plist filename pub-dir)
>>>  "Publish an org file to ASCII.
>>> See `org-publish-org-to' to the list of arguments."
>>>  (org-publish-with-aux-preprocess-maybe
>>>    (org-publish-org-to "ascii" plist filename pub-dir)))
>>>
>>> #+END_SRC
>
> Good idea, I have added these functions to org-publish.el
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

Recent pull (about 15 minutes ago) doesn't have the function defined.
What's the name?

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-14 14:46     ` Jeff Kowalczyk
From: Jeff Kowalczyk @ 2010-10-14 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthias Danzl <mdanzl1 <at> aol.com> writes:
> That did the job! Thanks Juan. I can now publish to html and txt. Very
> nice.

How are you calling the function? I'm not familiar with what the plist parameter
must be set to, at a minimum, for the call to work:

(require 'org-publish)

;; (defun org-publish-org-to-utf8 (plist filename pub-dir)
(org-publish-org-to-utf8 nil "/home/myuser/org/myfile.org" "/tmp")

Thanks,
Jeff

* Re: Wanted: org-publish-org-to-ascii
@ 2010-10-14 16:55         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-14 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Juan Pechiar, emacs-orgmode, Matthias Danzl

On Oct 14, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Jeff Horn wrote:

>> Good idea, I have added these functions to org-publish.el
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Recent pull (about 15 minutes ago) doesn't have the function defined.
> What's the name?

org-publish-org-to-ascii
org-publish-org-to-latin1
org-publish-org-to-utf8