* Problem with URLs in export to latex
@ 2010-09-03  2:29 Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-09-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi guys

My .org document contains the following sentence.

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used\footnote{Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/}.

This is exported to:

In R, procedures in the \texttt{survey} library were
used\footnote{Available at: [[http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]
[http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]]}.

As you can see, the URL gets exported as an [[org link]], meaningless
outside org.

The same thing happens with \footnote{Available at: \url{...}}

Do I have things configured wrong, or is this a bug?

thanks
Paul

* Re: Problem with URLs in export to latex
@ 2010-09-03  4:03 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-09-03  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Paul Sexton <psexton@xnet.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> My .org document contains the following sentence.
>
> In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
> used\footnote{Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/}.
>
> This is exported to:
>
> In R, procedures in the \texttt{survey} library were
> used\footnote{Available at: [[http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]
> [http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/]]}.
>
> As you can see, the URL gets exported as an [[org link]], meaningless
> outside org.
>
> The same thing happens with \footnote{Available at: \url{...}}
>
> Do I have things configured wrong, or is this a bug?

Neither, I think. You can quote the URL like this:

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used\footnote{Available at:
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/
#+END_LaTeX
}.

although  it *is* better to use the \url macro, so that hyperref will do its thing:

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used\footnote{Available at:
#+BEGIN_LaTeX
\url{http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/}
#+END_LaTeX
}.

But why not let org handle the footnote for you?

In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
used[fn:1].

* Footnotes

[fn:1] Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/

This has the advantage that it works when exported to HTML as well.
Section 2.10, "Footnotes", of the manual describes how to enter/use
footnotes like this.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Problem with URLs in export to latex
@ 2010-09-03  9:04   ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-09-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:

> But why not let org handle the footnote for you?

> In R, procedures in the =survey= library were
> used[fn:1].
>
> * Footnotes
>
> [fn:1] Available at: http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/survey/
>
> This has the advantage that it works when exported to HTML as well.
> Section 2.10, "Footnotes", of the manual describes how to enter/use
> footnotes like this.

Thanks, I will look into it. I was aware of org footnotes but for some reason
didn't think of using them here.

Paul