* [ANN] Org-Drill: Interactive revision a la Anki/Mnemosyne
@ 2010-08-01  1:02 Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-08-01  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Announcing the first release of "org-drill", a module which uses "org-learn" to
present interactive "drill sessions" of marked material in org buffers and
files. Org-learn, which is found in org's "contrib" directory, is an
implementation of the spaced repetition algorithm from SuperMemo.

Repository:
http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill

See the preamble in org-drill.el, and the accompanying file "spanish.org", for
documentation and examples.

I have tried to make it quite customisable. You can set variables to control
number of items per session, and max session duration. You can also create
custom "card types" and write elisp functions to control how the information in
those topics is displayed.

Note that org-learn currently considers items rated 4 or 5 (ie perfect or
excellent recall) as NEVER needing to be revised. I think this is a misfeature
of org-learn, and I hope it will eventually be fixed. For now, if you use
org-drill and rate items as 4 or 5, org-drill will consider them as "new" each
time you rpeat the drill session, so they will always come up.

Paul

* Re: [ANN] Org-Drill: Interactive revision a la Anki/Mnemosyne
@ 2010-08-02  7:42 ` Detlef Steuer
From: Detlef Steuer @ 2010-08-02  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Just to give some feedback on org-drill. I had a look into writing something
similar some time ago, but never got around learning enough emacs lisp.

I like the flexibility of org-drill and org-drill over-all.
I think you are right, when saying it is unfortunate to use 4 and 5 as synonyms for "I just know it, leave me alone forever".

What I really don't like is the amount of whitespace in spanisch.org, the example file..
May be that could be trimmed down? Or is it just your personal liking?

I couldn't handle (and wouldn't want to handle) such formatting by hand.

Anyway, thank you for providing org-drill!

Detlef

@ 2010-08-02 19:18   ` Paul Sexton
From: Paul Sexton @ 2010-08-02 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Detlef Steuer <detlef.steuer <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Just to give some feedback on org-drill. I had a look into writing something
> similar some time ago, but never got around learning enough emacs lisp.
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. If by whitespace you mean blank lines, that's not a
requirement of org-drill. Org-drill just deals with topics and subtopics, how
you format their contents is up to you. You could delete all the blank lines in
spanish.org and it would work the same.

@ 2010-08-07  7:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-07  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Sexton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

should this become a contributed package?

- Carsten

On Aug 1, 2010, at 3:02 AM, Paul Sexton wrote:

> Announcing the first release of "org-drill", a module which uses
> "org-learn" to
> present interactive "drill sessions" of marked material in org
> buffers and
> files. Org-learn, which is found in org's "contrib" directory, is an
> implementation of the spaced repetition algorithm from SuperMemo.
>
> Repository:
> http://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill
>
> See the preamble in org-drill.el, and the accompanying file
> "spanish.org", for
> documentation and examples.
>
> I have tried to make it quite customisable. You can set variables to
> control
> number of items per session, and max session duration. You can also
> create
> custom "card types" and write elisp functions to control how the
> information in
> those topics is displayed.
>
> Note that org-learn currently considers items rated 4 or 5 (ie
> perfect or
> excellent recall) as NEVER needing to be revised. I think this is a
> misfeature
> of org-learn, and I hope it will eventually be fixed. For now, if
> you use
> org-drill and rate items as 4 or 5, org-drill will consider them as
> "new" each
> time you rpeat the drill session, so they will always come up.
>
> Paul

- Carsten