* firefox problem with org-protocol
@ 2010-07-25 15:31 Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2010-07-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I don't seem to be able to add emacsclient as a handler for
org-capture in firefox 3.6.7. When I click on the bookmark, I simply
get a message telling me that there is no helper app associated with
the file -- with no option to add my own. Anybody know a way to work
around this?

d.
--
Daniel Goldin
213.926.1960

* Re: firefox problem with org-protocol
@ 2010-07-25 16:16 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-07-25 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Goldin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Goldin wrote:
>I don't seem to be able to add emacsclient as a handler for
>org-capture in firefox 3.6.7. When I click on the bookmark, I simply
>get a message telling me that there is no helper app associated with
>the file -- with no option to add my own. Anybody know a way to work
>around this?

There was recently a thread that discuessed this:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27362

Does one of the solutions there solve the problem for you?

HTH,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: firefox problem with org-protocol
@ 2010-07-26  1:26   ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2010-07-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks. Got me almost there. This is the link that solved the problem in the end:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+protocol+is+not+associated+with+any+program

d.

Excerpts from David Maus's message of Sun Jul 25 09:16:52 -0700 2010:

--

@ 2010-07-27 14:56     ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-07-27 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Goldin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Daniel

A few weeks ago I had similar problems and gave up of using org-protocol.
Could you give us a step-by-step procedure?

Daniel

@ 2010-07-27 16:00       ` Daniel Goldin
From: Daniel Goldin @ 2010-07-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Below are the relevant instructions, with the correct changes. I
modified instructions from this link:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/The+protocol+is+not+associated+with+any+program

Register the protocol in Firefox

Firefox gets its protocol information from its hidden settings.

   1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press EnterReturn.  *
   The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may
   appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the
   about:config page.

   2. Right-click anywhere in the grid, choose New, then String.

   3. In the Enter the preference name prompt, type in
   "network.protocol-handler.app.org-protocol" and press OK.

   4. In the Enter string value prompt, type "emacsclient" and press
   OK.

Now that the protocol has been registered, try the link again. You may
get an External Protocol Request dialog. Click Launch Application. The
program you chose should now start.

    * Make sure that the path you put in the preference is
      correct. Due to a bug in Firefox, entering an incorrect path
      will give you the same error message.

Hope this helps,

d.

Excerpts from Daniel Martins's message of Tue Jul 27 07:56:49 -0700 2010:

@ 2010-07-28 16:23         ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-07-28 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For a very, very long time this has not worked on Mac OSX (this may relate to
the OS and Firefox disagreeing over who handles protocols).  Does anyone know if
this has finally been fixed?