* Option to prefer future for times too
@ 2009-10-01  8:21 PT
From: PT @ 2009-10-01  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Currently, I'm using Google Calendar and it's quick add syntax is very
convenient:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=36604#text

Of course, Org has similar capabilites, but I found one thing which google
calendar does better: if it's 4pm and I add an event for 8am then GCal
schedules it for 8am tomorrow.

Org, on the the other hand, schedules it for 8am today even if that time
is already passed.

I never add past events and I think it's quite atypical. Shouldn't be an
option similar to org-read-date-prefer-future for times
too, so that timestamps also prefer the future when no date given?

* Re: Option to prefer future for times too
@ 2009-10-01 11:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-01 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PT; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 1, 2009, at 10:21 AM, PT wrote:

> Currently, I'm using Google Calendar and it's quick add syntax is very
> convenient:
>
> http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=36604#text
>

> Of course, Org has similar capabilites, but I found one thing which
> google
> calendar does better: if it's 4pm and I add an event for 8am then GCal
> schedules it for 8am tomorrow.
>
> Org, on the the other hand, schedules it for 8am today even if that
> time
> is already passed.
>
> I never add past events and I think it's quite atypical. Shouldn't
> be an
> option similar to org-read-date-prefer-future for times
> too, so that timestamps also prefer the future when no date given?

Hi PT (what does that stand for???)

I did not implement this case on purpose, because this can be quite
confusing if the time for tomorrow is near the time now.
Changing the time by a few minutes can make the resulting
date skip to tomorrow.  But I guess it is OK as an option:

    (setq org-read-date-prefer-future 'time)

should now create the behavior you were asking for.

- Carsten