* exporting from org-mode to S-expressions
@ 2009-04-03 19:07 Felipe Csaszar
From: Felipe Csaszar @ 2009-04-03 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Has anyone thought about a general framework for exporting Org documents?  I
seem to recall from somewhere that it was possible to export an Org document to
a lisp S-expression, and then parse the S-expression to generate the desired
output.  But have not seen this implemented.

The benefit of this approach is that then building an exporter to any output
format becomes trivial.  In fact a translator, let's say from Org to Beamer,
could be implemented as just one function that describes how each lisp tag
translates into a Beamer tag, instead of a 1500+ lines-long program such
org-export-latex.el.

It would be very beneficial to have such a general translation framework
implemented in Org.

Best regards,

Felipe

PD: there are several formats to describe documents as S-expressions, here are
some of them:
http://www.cliki.net/Lisp+Markup+Languages

* Re: exporting from org-mode to S-expressions
@ 2009-04-05 18:50 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-05 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felipe Csaszar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Felipe,

Felipe Csaszar <fcsaszar@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone thought about a general framework for exporting Org
> documents? I seem to recall from somewhere that it was possible to
> export an Org document to a lisp S-expression, and then parse the
> S-expression to generate the desired output. But have not seen this
> implemented.
>
> The benefit of this approach is that then building an exporter to any
> output format becomes trivial. In fact a translator, let's say from
> Org to Beamer, could be implemented as just one function that
> describes how each lisp tag translates into a Beamer tag, instead of a
> 1500+ lines-long program such org-export-latex.el.
>
> It would be very beneficial to have such a general translation framework
> implemented in Org.

I believe the most recent talk about a generic export framework was in
this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11930/focus=11939

Best,
Matt