* calling org-remember with an argument to select remember-type?
@ 2008-10-22 19:18 Søren Pedersen
From: Søren Pedersen @ 2008-10-22 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey all

I am trying to call org-remember and automatically select making a journal entry
(associated with the character "j").

I have tried the following:

(org-remember "j")
(org-remember ?J)

describe-function on org-remember mentions org-force-remember-template-char so I
have also tried:

(let ((org-force-remember-template-char ?j))
  (org-remember))

(let ((org-force-remember-template-char "j"))
  (org-remember))

But all of these display the prompt to select which remember-type to create.

As might be apparent I am not really proficient in elisp, so I am hoping you
guys can help me out

kind regards
Søren Pedersen

* Re: calling org-remember with an argument to select remember-type?
@ 2008-10-22 19:56 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-22 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Søren Pedersen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Søren Pedersen wrote:
  > Hey all
  >
  > I am trying to call org-remember and automatically select making a
journal entry
  > (associated with the character "j").
  >
  > I have tried the following:
  >
  > (org-remember "j")
  > (org-remember ?J)
  >
  > describe-function on org-remember mentions
org-force-remember-template-char so I
  > have also tried:
  >
  > (let ((org-force-remember-template-char ?j))
  >  (org-remember))
  >
  > (let ((org-force-remember-template-char "j"))
  >  (org-remember))
  >
  > But all of these display the prompt to select which remember-type to create.

Following section of manual seems to suggests that you have more than
one template defined and available in that specific mode.

,----[ http://orgmode.org/manual/Remember-templates.html#Remember-templates ]
| When you call M-x org-remember (or M-x remember) to remember
| something, Org will prompt for a key to select the template (if you
| have more than one template) and then prepare the buffer [...]
`----

So either you need to delete other templates or if you call this
template in a specific mode then you can consider defining template so
that it is the only available template in that mode (please see the
URL of the quoted section for details.)  I haven't had a chance to
test this yet but seems like a plausible solution.

HTH,
--
Manish

* Re: calling org-remember with an argument to select remember-type?
@ 2008-10-22 23:34   ` Søren Pedersen
From: Søren Pedersen @ 2008-10-22 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma <at> gmail.com> writes:

>   On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Søren Pedersen wrote:
>   > Hey all
>   >
>   > I am trying to call org-remember and automatically select making a
> journal entry

I figured it out myself (by, what else, reading the source):

(org-remember nil ?j)

Does what I want.

org-remember takes 2 optional variables, the first one designating whether to
jump directly to the place where the rememeber will be placed, and the second
one being what I was looking for.

kind regards
Søren Pedersen