* Unit conversions and symbolic mathematics with Babel
@ 2014-09-03  6:54 H. Dieter Wilhelm
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-09-03  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Jay Belanger

Hello Org,

for some engineering most often I need estimations with unit
conversions, Emacs Calc is perfect for this.

When it comes to reporting and documentation I'd like to do it with
org-mode, of course.  For numerical stuff and visualisation purposes I'm
using already R and TikZ. But for unit conversions and symbolic maths
I'm in a bind when trying to do this with free programs.

- R :: Do you have experience with a units packages under the R-project?
  What I've seen so far is not so reassuring...

- Maxima :: I think there is a nice and intuitive units package for
  maxima.  But this would mean learning an additional tool and mentally
  switching between both within one document.

- Calc :: I'd prefer to do it with Calc but the Babel interface is
  (yet?) restricted

  For example, I can define functions and do some unit conversions:

    #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
    (defmath cvun(a b)
	  (math-convert-units a b))
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : calcFunc-cvun

    #+BEGIN_SRC calc :var L1 = "5 mm"
    cvun( L1, m)
    #+END_SRC

    #+RESULTS:
    : 5e-3 m

  But what is missing is to assign variables within a source block

    #+BEGIN_SRC calc :var L1 = "5 mm"
    L2 := cvun( L1, m)
    #+END_SRC

  Unfortunately this is not working.  Do you have an idea how to
  implement this?

- Are you using (better) alternatives?

Thanks for your insights

       Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: Unit conversions and symbolic mathematics with Babel
@ 2014-09-03  7:19 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-09-03  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: Jay Belanger, emacs-orgmode

On 2014-09-03 08:54, dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

>   But what is missing is to assign variables within a source block
>

>     #+BEGIN_SRC calc :var L1 = "5 mm"
>     L2 := cvun( L1, m)
>     #+END_SRC
>

>   Unfortunately this is not working.  Do you have an idea how to
>   implement this?

It seems that you could use block chaining. Here is an extract of some
code I use to compute stats for my book keeping:

#+name: monthly_average
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var starty=2014 :var startm=3 :var amount=100
  (let* ((tm (decode-time))
         (cmonth (nth 4 tm))
         (cyear (nth 5 tm))
         (nbmonths (+ (* 12 (- cyear starty)) (- cmonth startm))))
    (calc-eval "round($ / $$, 2)" nil amount nbmonths))
#+end_src

#+name: ledger_average
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var b="Quotidien" :var sy=2014 :var sm=3  :var sd="2014-03-01" :var p="Expenses:"
  (let* ((per (format "from %d-%d-01 to this month" sy sm))
         (a (org-sbe call_ledger (bucket (eval b)) (prefix (eval p)) (period (eval per)))))
    (org-sbe monthly_average (amount (eval a)) (starty (eval sy)) (startm (eval sm))))
#+end_src

The last line of the second block calls the first block to do its
computation. The first block does not have to be in emacs-lisp, but
I don't know calc well enough to do it directly in calc.

Best,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unit conversions and symbolic mathematics with Babel
@ 2014-09-03  7:32 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-09-03  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> Hello Org,
>
> for some engineering most often I need estimations with unit
> conversions, Emacs Calc is perfect for this.
>
> When it comes to reporting and documentation I'd like to do it with
> org-mode, of course.  For numerical stuff and visualisation purposes I'm
> using already R and TikZ. But for unit conversions and symbolic maths
> I'm in a bind when trying to do this with free programs.

If you're on a linux of some sort, you probably have the "units" command
line program installed. That's sort of the mother of all unit
converters, as far as I'm concerned -- you could call out to it and
return the results. What do you think?

@ 2014-09-03 13:18 ` Brett Viren
From: Brett Viren @ 2014-09-03 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Dieter Wilhelm; +Cc: Jay Belanger, emacs-orgmode