* Autoloading failed to define function org-mode
@ 2009-09-18  9:42 Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2009-09-18  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I have just switched to Ubuntu from Debian (fresh install on a new
machine).  After I installed the relevant packages (emacs-snapshot,
org-mode) and tried to edit my todo file, I got the error message

Autoloading failed to define function org-mode

I thought I would debug this a bit more before sending a bug report to
Ubuntu.

(require 'org-install) does not help (it is done in
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el anyway).

Any hints/suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

emacs-snapshot  1:20090320-1ubuntu1
org-mode        6.27a-1

Tamas

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function org-mode
@ 2009-09-19  7:04 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2009-09-19  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas K Papp; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tamas K Papp wrote:
> Hi, I have just switched to Ubuntu from Debian (fresh install on a new
> machine).  After I installed the relevant packages (emacs-snapshot,
> org-mode) and tried to edit my todo file, I got the error message
>
> Autoloading failed to define function org-mode
>
> I thought I would debug this a bit more before sending a bug report to
> Ubuntu.
>
> (require 'org-install) does not help (it is done in
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el anyway).
>
> Any hints/suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.
>
> emacs-snapshot  1:20090320-1ubuntu1
> org-mode        6.27a-1

Tamas,

I would suggest using the git version of org. I know this doesn't
address the problem directly, but it's a good workaround:)

I put all my org mode stuff in a .emacs-lisp folder in my home
directory. In my .emacs I have:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs-lisp/org")

In my org makefile I have:

# Where local software is found
prefix=~/.emacs-lisp

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = $(prefix)/org

# Where info files go.
infodir = $(prefix)/share/info

There is a tutorial in Worg on how to set up git to keep your Makefile
customizations between different versions of org. Of course I can't find
the link to it at the moment, when I need it:)

Ian.

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function org-mode
@ 2009-09-20 13:43   ` Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2009-09-20 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:04:41 +0100, Ian Barton wrote:

> Tamas K Papp wrote:
>> Hi, I have just switched to Ubuntu from Debian (fresh install on a new
>> machine).  After I installed the relevant packages (emacs-snapshot,
>> org-mode) and tried to edit my todo file, I got the error message
>>
>> Autoloading failed to define function org-mode
>
> I would suggest using the git version of org. I know this doesn't
> address the problem directly, but it's a good workaround:)

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It turned out that the error was that I
had a file called org.el (that contains my settings) that somehow ended
up in the load-path during the migration, so it was mistakenly loaded
in place of org-mode's org.el.  An embarrassingly stupid error on my
part.

But at least now I have the git version :-)

Thanks for the help,

Tamas