* automatically follow symlink to other folder when loading agenda
@ 2015-03-16 16:05 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have 4 files I use for work in my main org folder.  And I have a
personal.org in another folder, that is inside of Dropbox.

I created a symlink to personal.org in my main org folder.  When I start emacs
and load the agenda, it asks me

Symbolic link to Git-controlled source file; follow link? (y or n)

Is there some setting (that I can't seem to find) that will always just allow
this, rather than querying me?

Thanks,

Dave

* Re: automatically follow symlink to other folder when loading agenda
@ 2015-03-16 16:38 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-03-16 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2015-03-16 at 12:05, J. David Boyd <dboyd2@mmm.com> wrote:
> I have 4 files I use for work in my main org folder.  And I have a
> personal.org in another folder, that is inside of Dropbox.
>
> I created a symlink to personal.org in my main org folder.  When I start emacs
> and load the agenda, it asks me
>
> Symbolic link to Git-controlled source file; follow link? (y or n)
>
> Is there some setting (that I can't seem to find) that will always just allow
> this, rather than querying me?

I don't know of that setting, but you can have your Agenda use a main org folder + files elsewhere without symlinks. I have:

(setq org-agenda-files (quote ("~/Documents/Org/" "~/Dropbox/shared/file.org")))

  -k.

* Re: automatically follow symlink to other folder when loading agenda
@ 2015-03-16 16:53 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

J. David Boyd writes:

> I have 4 files I use for work in my main org folder.  And I have
> a personal.org in another folder, that is inside of Dropbox.
>
> I created a symlink to personal.org in my main org folder. When
> I start emacs and load the agenda, it asks me
>
> Symbolic link to Git-controlled source file; follow link? (y or
> n)
>
> Is there some setting (that I can't seem to find) that will
> always just allow this, rather than querying me?

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (setq vc-follow-symlinks t)
#+END_SRC

BTW, I think that using dropbox in a git controlled directory
might not be a good idea: if there are conflicts of files inside
of the .git directory between two machines, you will never notice
them because dropbox doesn't report them, so the actual git repos
might be different between the two machines. I you are using git,
why don't you clone the main org directory in the other machine
and pull changes when you use the other machine?

Best,
--
Jorge.

* Re: automatically follow symlink to other folder when loading agenda
@ 2015-03-16 17:05   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-16 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> J. David Boyd writes:
>
>> I have 4 files I use for work in my main org folder.  And I have
>> a personal.org in another folder, that is inside of Dropbox.
>>
>> I created a symlink to personal.org in my main org folder. When
>> I start emacs and load the agenda, it asks me
>>
>> Symbolic link to Git-controlled source file; follow link? (y or
>> n)
>>
>> Is there some setting (that I can't seem to find) that will
>> always just allow this, rather than querying me?
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (setq vc-follow-symlinks t)
> #+END_SRC
>
> BTW, I think that using dropbox in a git controlled directory
> might not be a good idea: if there are conflicts of files inside
> of the .git directory between two machines, you will never notice
> them because dropbox doesn't report them, so the actual git repos
> might be different between the two machines. I you are using git,
> why don't you clone the main org directory in the other machine
> and pull changes when you use the other machine?
>
> Best,

Thanks for the warning.  Git is actually going to go away on a few of those
folders.  I was using that to keep synced between a few linux machines, but am
going to use dropbox instead.  I don't need the level of versioning that git
provides for the few config files and org files that I have there.

@ 2015-03-16 17:06   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2015-03-16 at 12:05, J. David Boyd <dboyd2@mmm.com> wrote:
>> I have 4 files I use for work in my main org folder.  And I have a
>> personal.org in another folder, that is inside of Dropbox.
>>
>> I created a symlink to personal.org in my main org folder.  When I start emacs
>> and load the agenda, it asks me
>>
>> Symbolic link to Git-controlled source file; follow link? (y or n)
>>
>> Is there some setting (that I can't seem to find) that will always just allow
>> this, rather than querying me?
>
> I don't know of that setting, but you can have your Agenda use a main org
> folder + files elsewhere without symlinks. I have:
>
> (setq org-agenda-files (quote ("~/Documents/Org/" "~/Dropbox/shared/file.org")))
>
>   -k.

Thanks!  I didn't realize I could mix paths and explicit filenames at the same
time.

You learn something new every day!

@ 2015-03-16 17:34     ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2015-03-16 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

J. David Boyd writes:

> I don't need the level of versioning that git provides for the
> few config files and org files that I have there.

Have you check this: https://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/ ?
It is as easy as dropbox, it just keeps directories synchronized,
but it has all the power of git in case you ever need it, you are
not limited to the 2GB of dropbox, and it automatically encrypts
your data in the remote.

--
Jorge.

* Re: automatically follow symlink to other folder when loading agenda
@ 2015-03-16 19:48       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-16 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> J. David Boyd writes:
>
>> I don't need the level of versioning that git provides for the few
>> config files and org files that I have there.
>
> Have you check this: https://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/ ? It
> is as easy as dropbox, it just keeps directories synchronized, but it
> has all the power of git in case you ever need it, you are not limited
> to the 2GB of dropbox, and it automatically encrypts your data in the
> remote.

Interesting, never heard of that.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks for the
info!

Dave