* org-mode and git
@ 2008-10-22 11:33 Richard Riley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi folks,

I had used bog standard RCS behind vc before (works fine for little
stand alone projects), but recently loaded up the vc-git.el and added it
to the supported backends for vc but some problems trying to update my
org-mode install using it. Is it mature enough for this.

What, if any, git interface for emacs do you guys recommend?

--
The system of nature, of which man is a part, tends to be self-balancing, self-adjusting, self-cleansing.  Not so with technology.  ~E.F. Schumacher, Small is Beautiful, 1973

* Re: org-mode and git
@ 2008-10-22 11:37 ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2008-10-22 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Also does anyone have a working Xemacs git support?

Tim

@ 2008-10-22 11:50 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

  On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

  > Hi folks,
  >
  > I had used bog standard RCS behind vc before (works fine for little
  > stand alone projects), but recently loaded up the vc-git.el and added it
  > to the supported backends for vc but some problems trying to update my
  > org-mode install using it. Is it mature enough for this.

You mean update org-mode from within Emacs?  Interesting.  I will have
to try that.

  > What, if any, git interface for emacs do you guys recommend?

I know of two DVC [1] and xgit.  DVC is probably more comprehensive.

--
Manish
1. http://download.gna.org/dvc/

* Re: org-mode and git
@ 2008-10-22 12:36 ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-10-22 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> What, if any, git interface for emacs do you guys recommend?

I would highly recommend magit[1]. I've been using it for a while now
and it far better fits around the way /I/ use git :)

You'll need a version[2] of git that supports --graph on the log
command.

Cheers,
Phil

Footnotes:
[1]  http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/magit.html
[2]  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-log.html
--
 Philip Jackson
 web:    http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: org-mode and git
@ 2008-10-22 12:43   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-10-22 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> What, if any, git interface for emacs do you guys recommend?
>
> I would highly recommend magit[1]. I've been using it for a while now
> and it far better fits around the way /I/ use git :)
>
> You'll need a version[2] of git that supports --graph on the log
> command.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://zagadka.vm.bytemark.co.uk/magit/magit.html
> [2]  http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-log.html

Looks good, a shame vc-git doesn't seem to work though. I will look into
why as another set of non standard keys will make my head explode :-(
Having said that its time to do some housekeeping anyway as there are
few niggly little things I run into with packages and emacs 23 at the
moment.

C-x v v is a revelation in VC :-;

* Re: Re: org-mode and git
@ 2008-10-22 13:23     ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-10-22 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks good, a shame vc-git doesn't seem to work though. I will look into
> why as another set of non standard keys will make my head explode :-(
> Having said that its time to do some housekeeping anyway as there are
> few niggly little things I run into with packages and emacs 23 at the
> moment.
>
> C-x v v is a revelation in VC :-;

It's great if you're working on only one file and want to commit all of
its hunks, yes.

Cheers,
Phil