* using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-10-28 20:48 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-10-28 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I have a general question about using orgmode for latex documents.
The available auctex/cdlatex/preview-latex package bundle makes it pretty
easy to write latex articles in emacs. How do you write your articles? Do
you use orgmode for the whole article or maybe just for a first structure
and then switch to 'plain' latex?
Maybe there is a chance, that orgmode could display inserted linked pictures
and inserted equations (just like preview-latex or x-symbol)!? I hope I did
not missed a feature again, but it would be great, if that works :-)
By the way, I actually saw that orgmode has special faces for code and latex
fragment, but moving the cursor on an equation environment, the face is
'default'!?
Would be nice, if anyone can give some ideas about there workflow using
orgmode and latex...
Fabian

* Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-10-29 15:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-29 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Fabian,

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> The available auctex/cdlatex/preview-latex package bundle makes it
> pretty easy to write latex articles in emacs. How do you write your
> articles? Do you use orgmode for the whole article or maybe just for a
> first structure and then switch to 'plain' latex?

I can't speak for other people but as far as I'm concerned, I use the
LaTeX exporter to write small documents and documents that don't need
a lot of special formatting.

For example, I often have to write reports for meeting I attend to.  I
use org-mode for that and convert the file into both HTML (for online
access to the report) and LaTeX (for printed representation of the text,
which is always very useful.)

Since I don't need to do complex stuff with LaTeX formatting, and since
I can also use RefTeX in conjunction with Org, then the LaTeX exporter
is often enough for me.  I guess scientific writing might require a
different approach.

> Maybe there is a chance, that orgmode could display inserted linked
> pictures and inserted equations (just like preview-latex or
> x-symbol)!? I hope I did not missed a feature again, but it would be
> great, if that works :-)

Missed :)

See the manual (info "(org)Processing LaTeX fragments") and check the
attached screenshot as a small example.

[-- Attachment #2: screenshot1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 40505 bytes --]

> By the way, I actually saw that orgmode has special faces for code and
> latex fragment, but moving the cursor on an equation environment, the
> face is 'default'!?

I don't know about a face for LaTeX fragments... I guess you're not
refering to `org-formula' which defines the face for tables formula?

> Would be nice, if anyone can give some ideas about there workflow
> using orgmode and latex...

Definitely.

And don't forget to get famous by feeding the tutorial section about
this on the website:

  http://orgmode.org/tutorials.html

--
Bastien

* Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-10-31 23:15   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-10-31 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> The available auctex/cdlatex/preview-latex package bundle makes it
>> pretty easy to write latex articles in emacs. How do you write your
>> articles? Do you use orgmode for the whole article or maybe just for a
>> first structure and then switch to 'plain' latex?
>
> I can't speak for other people but as far as I'm concerned, I use the
> LaTeX exporter to write small documents and documents that don't need
> a lot of special formatting.
>
> For example, I often have to write reports for meeting I attend to.  I
> use org-mode for that and convert the file into both HTML (for online
> access to the report) and LaTeX (for printed representation of the text,
> which is always very useful.)
>
> Since I don't need to do complex stuff with LaTeX formatting, and since
> I can also use RefTeX in conjunction with Org, then the LaTeX exporter
> is often enough for me.  I guess scientific writing might require a
> different approach.

Sounds good to me, especially the possible reftex interaction sounds great.
But I assume labeling, references and e.g. footnotes don't work!? Maybe you
use a special configuration for the interaction?

>> Maybe there is a chance, that orgmode could display inserted linked
>> pictures and inserted equations (just like preview-latex or
>> x-symbol)!? I hope I did not missed a feature again, but it would be
>> great, if that works :-)
>
> Missed :)
>
> See the manual (info "(org)Processing LaTeX fragments") and check the
> attached screenshot as a small example.

Thanks for your help!

* Re: Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-11-01  2:05     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-01  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

>> Since I don't need to do complex stuff with LaTeX formatting, and
>> since I can also use RefTeX in conjunction with Org, then the LaTeX
>> exporter is often enough for me.  I guess scientific writing might
>> require a different approach.
>
> Sounds good to me, especially the possible reftex interaction sounds
> great.  But I assume labeling, references and e.g. footnotes don't
> work!? Maybe you use a special configuration for the interaction?

You can use all this.

Try combining org-mode and reftex-mode, and start using C-c ( and C-c [
(from reftex-mode) --- it will insert labels and references.  The LaTeX
exporter should handle them correctly.

As for footnotes, org-export-latex.el should also be able to convert
them.

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-11-06 21:45       ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-11-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

sorry for the late reply...

Bastien wrote:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>>> Since I don't need to do complex stuff with LaTeX formatting, and
>>> since I can also use RefTeX in conjunction with Org, then the LaTeX
>>> exporter is often enough for me.  I guess scientific writing might
>>> require a different approach.
>>
>> Sounds good to me, especially the possible reftex interaction sounds
>> great.  But I assume labeling, references and e.g. footnotes don't
>> work!? Maybe you use a special configuration for the interaction?
>
> You can use all this.
>
> Try combining org-mode and reftex-mode, and start using C-c ( and C-c [
> (from reftex-mode) --- it will insert labels and references.  The LaTeX
> exporter should handle them correctly.
>
> As for footnotes, org-export-latex.el should also be able to convert
> them.

Couldn't install dvipng on my redhat 4.4 yet, so I could not test the
'conversion' of the
equation and images yet. Now, I am taking the look in the other
direction; I adjusted the most important faces in auctex to my
orgmode setup. What I am missing now using auctex/cdlatex, is the nice table
insertion I am used to do with
orgmode...

Fabian

* Re: Re: Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-11-07  1:56         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-07  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

>> As for footnotes, org-export-latex.el should also be able to convert
>> them.
>
> Couldn't install dvipng on my redhat 4.4 yet, so I could not test the
> 'conversion' of the equation and images yet. Now, I am taking the look
> in the other direction; I adjusted the most important faces in auctex
> to my orgmode setup. What I am missing now using auctex/cdlatex, is
> the nice table insertion I am used to do with orgmode...

You know you can use orgtbl-mode in LaTeX file and get tables exported
in the same file?  This is actually very handy.

This is called "Radio tables".  See the manual here:

  (info "(org)Radio tables")

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: Re: using orgmode for latex articles
@ 2007-11-07 20:39           ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-11-07 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>>> As for footnotes, org-export-latex.el should also be able to convert
>>> them.
>>
>> Couldn't install dvipng on my redhat 4.4 yet, so I could not test the
>> 'conversion' of the equation and images yet. Now, I am taking the look
>> in the other direction; I adjusted the most important faces in auctex
>> to my orgmode setup. What I am missing now using auctex/cdlatex, is
>> the nice table insertion I am used to do with orgmode...
>
> You know you can use orgtbl-mode in LaTeX file and get tables exported
> in the same file?  This is actually very handy.
>
> This is called "Radio tables".  See the manual here:
>
>   (info "(org)Radio tables")
Thanks, for the info, did not know this... looks pretty interesting.
Fabian