* Setting timestamp format to English
@ 2009-08-30 18:06 bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-08-30 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First of all I'd like to say that I find orgmode great. I'd been looking for
a tool like this for years.
I have a french version of windows so when I set a timestamp on an item with
C-c >, I get the timestamp in french.
I'd like to get it in english.
I've tried setting the language environment to english through the menu
(options/mule/set language environment) but it makes no difference.
In a previous mail of this mailing list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg03064.html), it is
mentioned that this depends on the variable system-time-locale.

How can I set system-time-locale to english permanently in my emacs init
file? ( I'm a newbie to emacs)

I've tried the following, but it doesnt work:

(set-locale-environment English)
(system-time-locale English)

Thanks very much.

* Re: Setting timestamp format to English
@ 2009-09-02 10:03 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-09-02 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, bar tomas

--- Dom 30/8/09, bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi, Bar,

> I have a french version of windows so when I set a
> timestamp on an item with C-c >, I get the timestamp in
> french.

I've the italian version of windows XP, I get the
timestamp in italian ;-)

> I'd like to get it in english.

As a workaround, for org files, you can change
the *format* of the date having the
*appearance* of the English date.

Please have a look at the variable
org-time-stamp-custom-formats

C-h v org-time-stamp-custom-formats

In a file I have:

#Local Variables:
#org-time-stamp-custom-formats : ("<%d/%m/%Y>" . "<%d/%m/%Y %a %H:%M>")
#End:

[2009-09-02 mer] becomes  [02/09/2009]

Nice, but  you can only change the date day by day and the format
will *not* be exported.

Or [beware, untested!] you could change
the format-time string variable in your .emacs.

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Setting timestamp format to English
@ 2009-09-02 15:54   ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode