* exporting agenda views whenever starting a view
@ 2007-08-22 10:39 Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-08-22 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I wonder if it would be possible to trigger an agenda auto export (by
customising the filename in org-agenda-custom-commands) as soon as I
call the agenda view and not only when starting an extra  "C-c a e"?

Of course this would take 2 seconds to generate the file and show the
view whenever I start the view. This way I would be sure to always have
the latest contents in my exported file which I could take away
automatically synchronised in my Palm.

Rainer

* Re: exporting agenda views whenever starting a view
@ 2007-08-22 12:12 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:39, Rainer Stengele wrote:

> I wonder if it would be possible to trigger an agenda auto export (by
> customising the filename in org-agenda-custom-commands) as soon as I
> call the agenda view and not only when starting an extra  "C-c a e"?
>
> Of course this would take 2 seconds to generate the file and show the
> view whenever I start the view. This way I would be sure to always
> have the latest contents in my exported file which I could take away
> automatically synchronised in my Palm.

I believe this is a bad idea:

1. the time delay will be annoying
2. You still need to make the view before it will be up-to-date for
    your palm export.

A cronjob like described in section 9.6.4 of the manual will do
much better services.

- Carsten

> Rainer

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: exporting agenda views whenever starting a view
@ 2007-08-22 20:19   ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2007-08-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> On Aug 22, 2007, at 12:39, Rainer Stengele wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it would be possible to trigger an agenda auto export (by
>> customising the filename in org-agenda-custom-commands) as soon as I
>> call the agenda view and not only when starting an extra  "C-c a e"?
>>
>> Of course this would take 2 seconds to generate the file and show the
>> view whenever I start the view. This way I would be sure to always
>> have the latest contents in my exported file which I could take away
>> automatically synchronised in my Palm.
>
> I believe this is a bad idea:
>
> 1. the time delay will be annoying
> 2. You still need to make the view before it will be up-to-date for
>    your palm export.
>
> A cronjob like described in section 9.6.4 of the manual will do
> much better services.
>
> - Carsten

Convinced and excellent suggestion - thank you

Rainer