* doing `M-x org-mode' loses point
@ 2006-06-16 14:41 Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2006-06-16 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello list,

Suppose that I have a file with a structure like this:

 * an org header
   (some elisp code)

 * another org header
   (more elisp code)

 * another org header
   (more elisp code)

In a file like that it would be natural to switch between org-mode and
emacs-lisp-mode; M-x emacs-lisp-mode works as expected, but when I do
M-x org-mode the point moves to the first header line, and that
doesn't look like the right thing...

One solution that just occurred to me is to have a line like this in
each elisp block:

  ;; (progn (save-excursion (org-mode)) (reveal-post-command))

by executing it with C-x C-e (*) I can switch back to org-mode without
losing point... the next obvious steps - binding that to a key,
patching org-mode, etc, are not relevant here, so I won't talk about
them...

So, is this org-mode-jumps-to-the-first-header-line a bug or a
feature? Is there a standard workaround?

  Thanks in advance, cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/
    eduardoochs@gmail.com

(*): We need this: (autoload 'reveal-post-command "reveal"))

* Re: doing `M-x org-mode' loses point
@ 2006-06-16 19:17 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-16 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 16, 2006, at 16:41, Eduardo Ochs wrote:

> So, is this org-mode-jumps-to-the-first-header-line a bug or a
> feature? Is there a standard workaround?

Org-mode repositions the curser when it changes the visibility in a
buffer, to make sure that the screen is used when you switch to
overview mode, for example.

The change you see is because when switching to org-mode, the default
setting is to hide everything except for top-level headlines.  So
visibility is changed when you enter org-mode, and consequently the
cursor moves.

In your case, changeing the visibility is as unwanted as moving the
cursor.  You can turn this off globally with

(setq org-startup-folded nil)

Or turn it off for just this buffer by adding this line to the file:

#+STARTUP: showall

If you generally dislike the cursor motion after visibility change, you
can also do

(setq org-cycle-hook nil)

Hope this helps.

- Carsten