* newbie has some questions
@ 2007-05-14 20:47 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-05-14 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

    I am a new user of org-mode; so far I am pretty
    expressed...
    I spread my todos into about 6 different main
    categories, each in an own file. So far it works pretty
    good, but I am kind of curious, when the lists get
    bigger...

    For the dayly use I have some questios:
    - can I use different colors for the keywords TODO,
    FEEDBACK, VERIFY, CANCEL and DONE in every buffer (agenda too)
    - how can I sort the agenda todo list according to the
    priority
    - can I add priority 'd' to the list
    - when you use the multiple file approach, do you use a
    lot of tags, or is it more usefull for a single file
    approach
    - can somebody explain the 43 folder approach and how it
    is used with org-mode

    That's it for the moment :-) Maybe, somebody has some
    ideas!?

Greetings!
 Fabian

* Re: newbie has some questions
@ 2007-05-20 20:45 ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-05-20 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

    it's me again ... are my questions to stupid or does
    nobobdy have an idea?

* Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am a new user of org-mode; so far I am pretty
>     expressed...
>     I spread my todos into about 6 different main
>     categories, each in an own file. So far it works pretty
>     good, but I am kind of curious, when the lists get
>     bigger...
>
>     For the dayly use I have some questios:
>     - can I use different colors for the keywords TODO,
>     FEEDBACK, VERIFY, CANCEL and DONE in every buffer (agenda too)
>     - how can I sort the agenda todo list according to the
>     priority
>     - can I add priority 'd' to the list
>     - when you use the multiple file approach, do you use a
>     lot of tags, or is it more usefull for a single file
>     approach
>     - can somebody explain the 43 folder approach and how it
>     is used with org-mode
>
>     That's it for the moment :-) Maybe, somebody has some
>     ideas!?

Greetings!
 Fabian

* Re: Re: newbie has some questions
@ 2007-05-20 21:56   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-05-20 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Fabian,

On May 20, 2007, at 22:45, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     it's me again ... are my questions to stupid or does
>     nobobdy have an idea?

neither nor - we are just too lazy or too busy.

> * Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>     I am a new user of org-mode; so far I am pretty
>>     expressed...
>>     I spread my todos into about 6 different main
>>     categories, each in an own file. So far it works pretty
>>     good, but I am kind of curious, when the lists get
>>     bigger...
>>
>>     For the dayly use I have some questios:
>>     - can I use different colors for the keywords TODO,
>>     FEEDBACK, VERIFY, CANCEL and DONE in every buffer (agenda too)

No, this is currently not supported.  You could hack it in
using font-lock-add-keywords, but there is currently no
support for this in Org-mode.

>>     - how can I sort the agenda todo list according to the
>>     priority

It is sorted according to priority - but only within categories.
If you want it to ignore categories and sort by priority only,
you need to configure `org-agenda-sorting-strategy' to something
like this (this is the default setting, but with the part for the
todo list modified):

(setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
       '((agenda time-up category-keep priority-down)
         (todo priority-down)
         (tags category-keep priority-down))

>>     - can I add priority 'd' to the list

Yes:

(setq org-lowest-priority ?D)

Try `M-x org-customize RET' to find out more about the many
options.

>>     - when you use the multiple file approach, do you use a
>>     lot of tags, or is it more usefull for a single file
>>     approach

This is a matter of taste, and different people use different
approaches.  See the org-mode homepage for links to
some of the discussions that happened here on this list.

>>     - can somebody explain the 43 folder approach

Google is your friend

http://wiki.tcl.tk/13200

>>  and how it
>>     is used with org-mode

Org-mode has no direct support for a 43 folders
setup - anyway, 43folders is, I thknk, mostly useful
as structure in real paper, not on a computer.

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

* Re: newbie has some questions
@ 2007-05-23 21:05     ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-05-23 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik schrieb am 05/20/2007 09:56 PM:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> On May 20, 2007, at 22:45, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>     it's me again ... are my questions to stupid or does
>>     nobobdy have an idea?
>
> neither nor - we are just too lazy or too busy.

No problem ...

>> * Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>     I am a new user of org-mode; so far I am pretty
>>>     expressed...
>>>     I spread my todos into about 6 different main
>>>     categories, each in an own file. So far it works pretty
>>>     good, but I am kind of curious, when the lists get
>>>     bigger...
>>>
>>>     For the dayly use I have some questios:
>>>     - can I use different colors for the keywords TODO,
>>>     FEEDBACK, VERIFY, CANCEL and DONE in every buffer (agenda too)
>
> No, this is currently not supported.  You could hack it in
> using font-lock-add-keywords, but there is currently no
> support for this in Org-mode.

That is probably a good work-around; thanks.

>>>     - how can I sort the agenda todo list according to the
>>>     priority
>
> It is sorted according to priority - but only within categories.
> If you want it to ignore categories and sort by priority only,
> you need to configure `org-agenda-sorting-strategy' to something
> like this (this is the default setting, but with the part for the
> todo list modified):
>
> (setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
>        '((agenda time-up category-keep priority-down)
>          (todo priority-down)
>          (tags category-keep priority-down))

Thanks, works well.

>>>     - can I add priority 'd' to the list
>
> Yes:
>
> (setq org-lowest-priority ?D)

This too :-)

> Try `M-x org-customize RET' to find out more about the many
> options.
>
>>>     - when you use the multiple file approach, do you use a
>>>     lot of tags, or is it more usefull for a single file
>>>     approach
>
> This is a matter of taste, and different people use different
> approaches.  See the org-mode homepage for links to
> some of the discussions that happened here on this list.
>
>>>     - can somebody explain the 43 folder approach
>
> Google is your friend
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/13200
>
>>>  and how it
>>>     is used with org-mode
>
> Org-mode has no direct support for a 43 folders
> setup - anyway, 43folders is, I thknk, mostly useful
> as structure in real paper, not on a computer.
>
> Hope this helps.

It helped; thanks a lot!

Greetings!
Fabian