* A new, "org-bullets"-like minor mode
@ 2020-02-01 15:49 D
From: D @ 2020-02-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

in the past two weeks I have been working on a new org minor mode based
on org-bullets.  Much like org-bullets-mode, the new mode (dubbed
"org-superstar-mode" for the time being) visually replaces headline
stars with UTF8 bullets.  However, while I took the code of org-bullets
as an initial template, I have largely rewritten the code base for lots
of additional features, including:

* The ability to fully customize the look of plain list items as well.
* Contextual sensitivity (meaning lists and headings are recognized
semantically, so org-superstar-mode ignores false positives in for
example SRC blocks)
* level-dependent fontification for bullets
* The ability to customize the look of leading stars, while respecting
org-hide-leading-stars.

However, since the mode still contains code snippets from org-bullets, I
have tried to contact the original author (sabof) of the package in the
hopes of getting an official approval before making the thing public.
The problem with /that/ however is that the author has been inactive for
several years now, with the package being maintained by Jonas Bernoulli,
who I did not yet contact.

So, before going any further, I wanted to first ask whether there is any
community interest in such a package.

As an addendum, an excerpt from the description of the yet-to-be package:

;; This package is heavily influenced by (and uses snippets from) the
;; popular package "org-bullets", created by sabof.  It was made with
;; the goal of inheriting features the author liked about org-bullets
;; while being able to introduce compatibility-breaking changes to it.
;; It is largely rewritten, to the point of almost no function being
;; identical to it's org-bullets counterpart.