* Link Display [WAS Recent changes: Internal linking]
@ 2006-03-26 17:38 Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2006-03-26 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I really like the new internal links.   One thing I'm still missing from
emacs-planner is the ability to display the link with the link
destination replaced with descriptive text.

Org-mode now does this when you type [[link text][description]] and then
export; I'd like it if org-mode did this in the normal view too.  In
other words, if you type [[link text][description]], and then move the
cursor off the link, you would only see "description" in your emacs
buffer (probably in the same face used for text matched by radio links).

Scott

* Re: Link Display [WAS Recent changes: Internal linking]
@ 2006-03-26 18:29 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <4427356F.8010202@u.washington.edu>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This does work for the exporter, but not for the normal display.  I'll
take a look to see if I can find out ow to do that.  Sounds
interesting.

- Carsten

On Mar 26, 2006, at 19:38, Scott Otterson wrote:

> I really like the new internal links.   One thing I'm still missing
> from emacs-planner is the ability to display the link with the link
> destination replaced with descriptive text.
>
> Org-mode now does this when you type [[link text][description]] and
> then export; I'd like it if org-mode did this in the normal view too.
> In other words, if you type [[link text][description]], and then move
> the cursor off the link, you would only see "description" in your
> emacs buffer (probably in the same face used for text matched by radio
> links).
>
> Scott

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

@ 2006-03-27  9:15     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-27  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 27, 2006, at 2:44, Scott Otterson wrote:

> Carsten,
>
> I realized that I might have been too limited in my suggestion.  It
> would be great if _all_ links were hideable, not just the internal
> links.
>
> I'm finding C-c C-l very convenient for pasting in URL's -- it's just
>
> 	C-c C-l
> 	C-y
> 	<return>
>
> and, while it would be a shame to slow this down, a possible UI for
> named links could be to add a "Description:" question after the Link:
> question; if the user hits return without typing anything, then the
> link would be normally displayed, with no description.

Yes, is is an obvious generalization.  In fact, you can already write
something like

   [[http://www.google.com][Google Search]]

and the exporter will do the right thing.  So yes, If hideable links
are implemented for internal links, this will automatically also work
for external links.

- Carsten