* listing tasks with no TODO keyword in global TODO list
@ 2010-02-19 15:44 Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-19 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode

hello!

i've been unable to find the variable that controls whether
items/tasks with no TODO keyword should be treated like the ones with
TODO so they can appear in the global TODO list.  can someone please
point me in the right direction?

thanks
--
manish

* Re: listing tasks with no TODO keyword in global TODO list
@ 2010-02-19 22:37 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-02-19 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Org-Mode

On 19.02.2010 16:44, Manish wrote:
> hello!
>
> i've been unable to find the variable that controls whether
> items/tasks with no TODO keyword should be treated like the ones with
> TODO so they can appear in the global TODO list.  can someone please
> point me in the right direction?
>
> thanks

Your question seems a bit confusing to me. Headlines without TODO
keywords are by definition not a todo item, so they should not appear in
the global todo list.

You can schedule them or put a deadline on them, and they will appear in
the agenda view, but not in the todo list (C-c a t).

Please clarify how you distinguish an "item/task with no TODO keyword"
from an ordinary headline used to structure the outline.

Also, take a look at custom agenda views. You could define an agenda
view that lists the todo list, and additionally includes the results of
a search (e.g. all items with a certain tag) below that.

HTH, Jan

* Re: listing tasks with no TODO keyword in global TODO list
@ 2010-02-20  1:47   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-20  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Jan Böcker wrote:
> On 19.02.2010 16:44, Manish wrote:
>> hello!
>>
>> i've been unable to find the variable that controls whether
>> items/tasks with no TODO keyword should be treated like the
>> ones with TODO so they can appear in the global TODO
>> list.  can someone please point me in the right direction?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Your question seems a bit confusing to me. Headlines without
> TODO keywords are by definition not a todo item, so they should
> not appear in the global todo list.

i seem to recall that there was an instance where an item without a TODO
keyword could be treated as if it was an unDONE item but i can't seem to
find it anymore.

> You can schedule them or put a deadline on them, and they will
> appear in the agenda view, but not in the todo list (C-c a t).
>
> Please clarify how you distinguish an "item/task with no TODO
> keyword" from an ordinary headline used to structure the
> outline.

i understand what you're saying.  imho, for those who use outlines
solely for the purposes of defining the projects and tasks treating an
item without TODO as if it was an unDONE one if configured with a
variable and at least for the purposes of appearing in a global TODO
list makes sense.

> Also, take a look at custom agenda views. You could define an
> agenda view that lists the todo list, and additionally includes
> the results of a search (e.g. all items with a certain tag)
> below that.

i'll look into how i can pull together such items/tasks with a search
perhaps using FILETAGS.

thanks
--

@ 2010-02-20  2:30     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-20  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Org-Mode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Jan Böcker wrote:
>> On 19.02.2010 16:44, Manish wrote:
>>>
>>> i've been unable to find the variable that controls whether
>>> items/tasks with no TODO keyword should be treated like the
>>> ones with TODO so they can appear in the global TODO
>>> list.  can someone please point me in the right direction?
>>>

>> Your question seems a bit confusing to me. Headlines without
>> TODO keywords are by definition not a todo item, so they should
>> not appear in the global todo list.
>
> i seem to recall that there was an instance where an item without a TODO
> keyword could be treated as if it was an unDONE item but i can't seem to
> find it anymore.

Assuming that you only use DONE as an inactive todo, I believe you can
get all headings *not* marked done with the following search:

C-c a m /-DONE

Are you perhaps thinking of the default setting for stuck projects?

(setq org-stuck-projects
      '("+LEVEL=2/-DONE" ("TODO" "NEXT" "NEXTACTION") nil ""))

This defines projects based on their level (i.e., all level two items
not marked DONE).

Best,
Matt

* Re: listing tasks with no TODO keyword in global TODO list
@ 2010-02-21  5:50       ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-02-21  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Lundin; +Cc: Org-Mode

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Matt Lundin wrote:
[snip (15 lines)]
>> i seem to recall that there was an instance where an item
>> without a TODO keyword could be treated as if it was an unDONE
>> item but i can't seem to find it anymore.
>
> Assuming that you only use DONE as an inactive todo, I believe
> you can get all headings *not* marked done with the following
> search:
>
> C-c a m /-DONE

thanks!  a custom agenda built around this does the job well.

> Are you perhaps thinking of the default setting for stuck
> projects?
>
> (setq org-stuck-projects '("+LEVEL=2/-DONE" ("TODO" "NEXT"
>      "NEXTACTION") nil ""))
>
> This defines projects based on their level (i.e., all level two
> items not marked DONE).

possibly.. but i suspect it was something else.

thanks again.

--
manish