* [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-21 16:19 andrea
From: andrea @ 2010-01-21 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only one big file.
This would also help me to make it more consistent and readable.

But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need:
- a simple org and babel loader
- one big file containing everything

But how is emacs behaving?

For example the customization frame would be able to write on that file?

Other possible problems?

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-21 16:45 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-01-21 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only one big file.
> This would also help me to make it more consistent and readable.
>
> But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need:
> - a simple org and babel loader
> - one big file containing everything

Hi Andrea,

I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs configuration code
for the last 5 months or so and I have not had any problems at all. I
highly recommend it.  I am using a simple set up:

My ~/.emacs contains

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-babel-init)
(org-babel-load-file "~/config/emacs/emacs.org")

and all the rest of my emacs config code is in ~/config/emacs/emacs.org

There is a more sophisticated setup described in the org-babel manual

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.php

in the section "Emacs Initialization with Org-babel"

> But how is emacs behaving?
>
> For example the customization frame would be able to write on that file?

M-x customize writes things like (custom-set-variables ...) to the
bottom of my ~/.emacs file. But I don't really use M-x customize much.

Dan

@ 2010-01-21 17:43 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-01-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrea; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:19 AM, andrea wrote:

> I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only one
> big file.
> This would also help me to make it more consistent and readable.
>
> But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need:
> - a simple org and babel loader
> - one big file containing everything
>
> But how is emacs behaving?
>
> For example the customization frame would be able to write on that
> file?
>
> Other possible problems?

Hi Andrea,

Have you seen the emacs starter kits?  I've found Eric Schulte's
starter kit to be very handy.  After struggling with emacs
configuration for decades I now have at least the illusion of
control.  The configuration is held in a series of org files that hold
emacs-lisp code blocks, which are tangled to produce the .el file that
emacs expects.  Each of my code chunks resides under its own org-mode
heading, replete with notes, links, etc.  It is kind of like a
literate .emacs program.

hth,
Tom

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-22 16:14   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea

At Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:43:17 -1000, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Have you seen the emacs starter kits?  I've found Eric Schulte's
> starter kit to be very handy.  After struggling with emacs
> configuration for decades I now have at least the illusion of
> control.  The configuration is held in a series of org files that hold
> emacs-lisp code blocks, which are tangled to produce the .el file that
> emacs expects.  Each of my code chunks resides under its own org-mode
> heading, replete with notes, links, etc.  It is kind of like a
> literate .emacs program.

Argghhh!

I hate org-mode sometimes [1]: just when I think I'm reaching a stable
system, somebody comes along and makes me realise how much better
(easier to manage/understand) my system would be if I put yet more
under org-mode control!

Time to go through my .emacs etc files -- if you don't hear from me
for several months, you'll know why!

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  As always, thanks to Carsten et al. for such a wonderful and
     useful tool which has, without exaggeration, transformed by life in
     both dramatic and subtle ways.

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-22 18:53     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-01-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> At Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:43:17 -1000, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>> Have you seen the emacs starter kits?  I've found Eric Schulte's
>> starter kit to be very handy.  After struggling with emacs
>> configuration for decades I now have at least the illusion of
>> control.  The configuration is held in a series of org files that hold
>> emacs-lisp code blocks, which are tangled to produce the .el file that
>> emacs expects.  Each of my code chunks resides under its own org-mode
>> heading, replete with notes, links, etc.  It is kind of like a
>> literate .emacs program.
>
> Argghhh!
>
> I hate org-mode sometimes [1]: just when I think I'm reaching a stable
> system, somebody comes along and makes me realise how much better
> (easier to manage/understand) my system would be if I put yet more
> under org-mode control!
>
> Time to go through my .emacs etc files -- if you don't hear from me
> for several months, you'll know why!
>
> eric
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  As always, thanks to Carsten et al. for such a wonderful and
>      useful tool which has, without exaggeration, transformed by life in
>      both dramatic and subtle ways.

Amazing isn't it? I just blew a day by moving to org-babel for my init
file and managed to miss the "+" in my "#+end_src" marker ... but now
its working its all smiles despite another day configuring rather than
doing ;) It's an emacs problem in general. A shame there are no jobs
"configuring your editor" ....

--
Google Talk : rileyrgdev@googlemail.com  http://www.google.com/talk
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

* Re: Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-22 20:44       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-01-22 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Amazing isn't it? I just blew a day by moving to org-babel for my init
> file and managed to miss the "+" in my "#+end_src" marker ... but now
> its working its all smiles despite another day configuring rather than
> doing ;) It's an emacs problem in general. A shame there are no jobs
> "configuring your editor" ....

Yeah, it's amazing how much time we can spend increasing our productivity... ;-)

* Re: Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-22 20:46         ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-01-22 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

Eric, you hit the nail on the head.  Now I'll be spending my Friday night
redoing my
configs (and probably Saturday, and the next…)

@ 2010-01-25 17:25           ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-01-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Richard Riley, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Greg Newman wrote:
> Eric, you hit the nail on the head.  Now I'll be spending my
> Friday night redoing my configs (and probably Saturday, and the
> next…)
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>
>> > Amazing isn't it? I just blew a day by moving to org-babel
>> > for my init file and managed to miss the "+" in my
>> > "#+end_src" marker ... but now its working its all smiles
>> > despite another day configuring rather than doing ;) It's an
>> > emacs problem in general. A shame there are no jobs
>> > "configuring your editor" ....
>>
>> Yeah, it's amazing how much time we can spend increasing our
>> productivity... ;-)

there goes my weekend too. :-(

--
manish

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-26 17:28   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-01-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Dan Davison wrote:
> andrea writes:
>
>> I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only
>> one big file.  This would also help me to make it more
>> consistent and readable.
>>
>> But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need: -
>> a simple org and babel loader - one big file containing
>> everything
>>

> Hi Andrea,
>
> I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs
> configuration code for the last 5 months or so and I have not
> had any problems at all. I highly recommend it.  I am using a
> simple set up:
>
> My ~/.emacs contains

> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
> (require 'org-install) (require 'org-babel-init)
> (org-babel-load-file
> "~/config/emacs/emacs.org") ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> and all the rest of my emacs config code is in
> ~/config/emacs/emacs.org

This works very nicely.  Thank you.

I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used to by
preventing sections of config from loading.  I thought setting :tangle
to `no' should help but the default is already `no' and all my config
is loaded.  How would one go about marking a section of configuration
so that it remains in the configuration file but does not get tangled
while Emacs boots?

Thanks
--
Manish

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-26 18:31     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-01-26 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Dan Davison, emacs-orgmode, andrea

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Dan Davison wrote:
>> andrea writes:
>>
>>> I'm really tempted to move all my emacs configuration in only
>>> one big file.  This would also help me to make it more
>>> consistent and readable.
>>>
>>> But I'm afraid to mess up something, in theory I just need: -
>>> a simple org and babel loader - one big file containing
>>> everything
>>>

>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs
>> configuration code for the last 5 months or so and I have not
>> had any problems at all. I highly recommend it.  I am using a
>> simple set up:
>>
>> My ~/.emacs contains

>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
>> (require 'org-install) (require 'org-babel-init)
>> (org-babel-load-file
>> "~/config/emacs/emacs.org") ------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> and all the rest of my emacs config code is in
>> ~/config/emacs/emacs.org
>>

> This works very nicely.  Thank you.
>
> I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
> reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used to by
> preventing sections of config from loading.  I thought setting :tangle
> to `no' should help but the default is already `no' and all my config
> is loaded.  How would one go about marking a section of configuration
> so that it remains in the configuration file but does not get tangled
> while Emacs boots?

Hi Manish,

I think this will require a little development/bug-fixing on my part
before it works easily.  As I recall the elisp tangling in
`org-babel-load-file' is fairly aggressive and may not respect tangle
header arguments.  But the method you described above (setting the
tangle header argument to no -- either in a subtree property or by
block) is certainly the correct approach.

I'll let you know when I find some time to look into this.

Best -- Eric

@ 2010-01-26 20:34       ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-01-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Andrea,
>>>
>>> I've used a single org mode file to keep all my emacs
>>> configuration code for the last 5 months or so and I have not
>>> had any problems at all. I highly recommend it.  I am using a
>>> simple set up:
>>>
>>> My ~/.emacs contains

>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp")
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/local/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
>>> (require 'org-install) (require 'org-babel-init)
>>> (org-babel-load-file
>>> "~/config/emacs/emacs.org") ------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> and all the rest of my emacs config code is in
>>> ~/config/emacs/emacs.org
>>>

>> This works very nicely.  Thank you.
>>
>> I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
>> reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used to by
>> preventing sections of config from loading.  I thought setting :tangle
>> to `no' should help but the default is already `no' and all my config
>> is loaded.  How would one go about marking a section of configuration
>> so that it remains in the configuration file but does not get tangled
>> while Emacs boots?
>>

> Hi Manish,
>
> I think this will require a little development/bug-fixing on my part
> before it works easily.  As I recall the elisp tangling in
> `org-babel-load-file' is fairly aggressive and may not respect tangle
> header arguments.  But the method you described above (setting the
> tangle header argument to no -- either in a subtree property or by
> block) is certainly the correct approach.

Hi Eric -- I believe you already have it working in exactly this way :)

Manish -- could you double check please? I use :tangle no to exclude
blocks of elisp from my emacs init file, and it is working.

Dan

@ 2010-01-26 23:24         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-01-26 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea

On Jan 26, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

> "Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>>> This works very nicely.  Thank you.
>>>
>>> I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
>>> reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used to by
>>> preventing sections of config from loading.  I thought
>>> setting :tangle
>>> to `no' should help but the default is already `no' and all my
>>> config
>>> is loaded.  How would one go about marking a section of
>>> configuration
>>> so that it remains in the configuration file but does not get
>>> tangled
>>> while Emacs boots?
>>>

>> Hi Manish,
>>
>> I think this will require a little development/bug-fixing on my part
>> before it works easily.  As I recall the elisp tangling in
>> `org-babel-load-file' is fairly aggressive and may not respect tangle
>> header arguments.  But the method you described above (setting the
>> tangle header argument to no -- either in a subtree property or by
>> block) is certainly the correct approach.
>
> Hi Eric -- I believe you already have it working in exactly this
> way :)
>
> Manish -- could you double check please? I use :tangle no to exclude
> blocks of elisp from my emacs init file, and it is working.
>
> Dan
>

>> I'll let you know when I find some time to look into this.
>>
>> Best -- Eric

Hi all,

I'm having the same experience as Dan.  :tangle no keeps code blocks
in my .org file from showing up in my .el file.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: [babel] Moving to babel the whole configuration
@ 2010-01-27  4:15         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-01-27  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, andrea

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Dan Davison wrote:
> "Eric Schulte" writes:
>
>> Manish writes:

>>> This works very nicely.  Thank you.
>>>
>>> I am thinking about making my config a little leaner while I
>>> reorganize without affecting functionality I have gotten used
>>> to by preventing sections of config from loading.  I thought
>>> setting :tangle to `no' should help but the default is
>>> already `no' and all my config is loaded.  How would one go
>>> about marking a section of configuration so that it remains
>>> in the configuration file but does not get tangled while
>>> Emacs boots?
>>>

>> Hi Manish,
>>
>> I think this will require a little development/bug-fixing on
>> my part before it works easily.  As I recall the elisp
>> tangling in `org-babel-load-file' is fairly aggressive and may
>> not respect tangle header arguments.  But the method you
>> described above (setting the tangle header argument to no --
>> either in a subtree property or by block) is certainly the
>> correct approach.
>
> Hi Eric -- I believe you already have it working in exactly
> this way :)
>
> Manish -- could you double check please? I use :tangle no to
> exclude blocks of elisp from my emacs init file, and it is
> working.

You are right.  I just did not try it at all after reading that
":tangle no" was the default.  My apologies.

I ran some tests and here are the results.

| SET AS                    | VALUE | RESULT      |
|---------------------------+-------+-------------|
| not set                   | n/a   | tangled     |
| property ":TANGLE:"       | no    | not tangled |
| property ":TANGLE:"       | yes   | backtrace   |
| header argument ":tangle" | no    | not tangled |
| header argument ":tangle" | yes   | backtrace   |

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable compilation-mode-map)
  (define-key compilation-mode-map (kbd "n") (quote compilation-next-error))
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*<2>> nil "d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/emacs.el"
nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 3862
  load-with-code-conversion("d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/emacs.el"
"d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/emacs.el" nil nil)
  load("d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/emacs.el" nil nil t)
  load-file("~/.emacs.d/emacs.el")
  (let* ((base-name ...) (exported-file ...)) (unless (and ... ...)
(org-babel-tangle-file file base-name "emacs-lisp")) (load-file
exported-file) (message "loaded %s" exported-file))
  (progn (fset (quote age) (function* ...)) (let* (... ...) (unless
... ...) (load-file exported-file) (message "loaded %s"
exported-file)))
  (unwind-protect (progn (fset ... ...) (let* ... ... ... ...)) (if
--cl-letf-bound-- (fset ... --cl-letf-save--) (fmakunbound ...)))
  (let* ((--cl-letf-bound-- ...) (--cl-letf-save-- ...))
(unwind-protect (progn ... ...) (if --cl-letf-bound-- ... ...)))
  (letf ((... ...)) (let* (... ...) (unless ... ...) (load-file
exported-file) (message "loaded %s" exported-file)))
  (letf* ((... ...)) (let* (... ...) (unless ... ...) (load-file
exported-file) (message "loaded %s" exported-file)))
  (flet ((age ... ...)) (let* (... ...) (unless ... ...) (load-file
exported-file) (message "loaded %s" exported-file)))
  org-babel-load-file("~/.emacs.d/emacs.org")
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/init.el" nil
t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1576
  load-with-code-conversion("d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/init.el"
"d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/init.el" t t)
  load("d:/home/zms/.emacs.d/init" t t)
  #[nil "

Thanks