* [Buglet] issue where org-agenda always prints to PostScript "with faces"
@ 2009-06-16  4:19 James
From: James @ 2009-06-16  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If you tweak org-agenda-custom-commands to create a PostScript version of your
agenda (for example by following this link...

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php#sec-5.4

) ... and like me you happen to use a dark background in Emacs
(set-face-background 'default "black"), you end up with PostScript files which
take account of your background colour. In my case if I were to actually print
my agenda on a printer, I'd probably drain it of black ink! :-)

This problem appears to be because org-agenda always prints using
"ps-print-buffer-with-faces".

Please could a variable be added such that for awkward users like me org-mode
would use "ps-print-buffer" instead.

Thanks for a fantastic productivity tool!

Regards,

James.

* Re: [Buglet] issue where org-agenda always prints to PostScript "with faces"
@ 2009-06-16 15:27 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM, James wrote:
  > If you tweak org-agenda-custom-commands to create a PostScript version
  > of your agenda (for example by following this link...
  >
  > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php#sec-5.4
  >
  > ) ... and like me you happen to use a dark background in Emacs
  > (set-face-background 'default "black"), you end up with PostScript
  > files which take account of your background colour. In my case if I
  > were to actually print my agenda on a printer, I'd probably drain it
  > of black ink! :-)
  >
  > This problem appears to be because org-agenda always prints using
  > "ps-print-buffer-with-faces".
  >
  > Please could a variable be added such that for awkward users like me
  > org-mode would use "ps-print-buffer" instead.

A similar issue was dicussed in this thread
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/12719

HTH

--
Manish

* Re: [Buglet] issue where org-agenda always prints to PostScript "with faces"
@ 2009-06-18  7:57   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-18  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: James, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Manish wrote:

>  On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM, James wrote:
>> If you tweak org-agenda-custom-commands to create a PostScript
>> version
>> of your agenda (for example by following this link...
>>
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php#sec-5.4
>>
>> ) ... and like me you happen to use a dark background in Emacs
>> (set-face-background 'default "black"), you end up with PostScript
>> files which take account of your background colour. In my case if I
>> were to actually print my agenda on a printer, I'd probably drain it
>> of black ink! :-)
>>
>> This problem appears to be because org-agenda always prints using
>> "ps-print-buffer-with-faces".
>>
>> Please could a variable be added such that for awkward users like me
>> org-mode would use "ps-print-buffer" instead.
>
> A similar issue was dicussed in this thread
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/12719

I the mean time, I have found a better solution for this.

(setq org-agenda-exporter-settings
       '((ps-print-color-p 'black-white)))

Matt, or anyone, maybe this is worth a FAQ entry?

- Carsten

* Re: [Buglet] issue where org-agenda always prints to PostScript "with faces"
@ 2009-06-18 16:56     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-18 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: James, emacs-orgmode

  On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

  > On Jun 16, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Manish wrote:
  >
  >> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM, James wrote:
  >>>
  >>> If you tweak org-agenda-custom-commands to create a PostScript
  >>> version of your agenda (for example by following this link...
  >>>
  >>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php#sec-5.4
  >>>
  >>> ) ... and like me you happen to use a dark background in Emacs
  >>> (set-face-background 'default "black"), you end up with PostScript
  >>> files which take account of your background colour. In my case if
  >>> I were to actually print my agenda on a printer, I'd probably
  >>> drain it of black ink! :-)
  >>>
  >>> This problem appears to be because org-agenda always prints using
  >>> "ps-print-buffer-with-faces".
  >>>
  >>> Please could a variable be added such that for awkward users like
  >>> me org-mode would use "ps-print-buffer" instead.
  >>
  >> A similar issue was dicussed in this thread
  >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/12719
  >
  > I the mean time, I have found a better solution for this.
  >
  > (setq org-agenda-exporter-settings
  >   '((ps-print-color-p 'black-white)))
  >

  > Matt, or anyone, maybe this is worth a FAQ entry?

Pushed a small FAQ to worg about this.

--
Manish