From: Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Subject: Re: POLL: the 40 variables project
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:16:01 +0530	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

[snip]

>>> Of course, if there is a volunteer who would like to organize
>>> this info into a Worg page, I would even be more happy ...
>>
>> I am collating the information in the following format.
>>
>> | Submitter | Variable | Value | Comment |
>
> Hi Manish, thanks so much for doing this, really appreciate it.
> Maybe add a column with the default value, so that we can be sure
> that the did not just set the default value?

I did not know of an obvious or easy way to find out the default
values. :-/

Here are the results so far.

20 people responsed within the first day reporting about 479
customizations including 187 unique variables (49.6% !, assuming total
377 variables.)

NB: I did try to filter out faces but a few might have crept through.

First top tweakers.

| Submitter           | Customizations |
|---------------------+----------------|
| Fredrich Fredrichs  | 64             |
| Bernt Hansen        | 56             |
| Matthew Lundin      | 52             |
| Sebastian Rose      | 51             |
| Austin Frank        | 38             |
| Chris Leyon         | 28             |
| Ross Patterson      | 25             |
| Dan Griswold        | 24             |
| William Henney      | 24             |
| Peter Jones         | 21             |
| Michael Ekstrand    | 20             |
| Eric Faga           | 13             |
| Steven Harris       | 11             |
| Tassilo Horn        | 11             |
| Oliver Charles      | 10             |
| Dan Davison         |  8             |
| Hsui-Khuern Tang    |  8             |
| Scott Randby        |  6             |
| Sivaram Neelakantan |  5             |
| Don Womick          |  4             |

And what was tweaked:

| Variable (may be a few faces as well)             | No. of times customized |
|---------------------------------------------------+-------------------------|
| org-agenda-start-on-weekday                       |                      14 |
| org-todo-keywords                                 |                      14 |
| org-log-done                                      |                      13 |
| org-agenda-files                                  |                      12 |
| org-agenda-include-diary                          |                      12 |
| org-hide-leading-stars                            |                      12 |
| org-use-fast-todo-selection                       |                      12 |
| org-remember-templates                            |                      10 |
| org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done                 |                       9 |
| org-agenda-custom-commands                        |                       8 |
| org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done                  |                       8 |
| org-agenda-sorting-strategy                       |                       8 |
| org-default-notes-file                            |                       8 |
| org-special-ctrl-a/e                              |                       8 |
| org-stuck-projects                                |                       8 |
| org-completion-use-ido                            |                       7 |
| org-deadline-warning-days                         |                       7 |
| org-agenda-ndays                                  |                       6 |
| org-agenda-window-setup                           |                       6 |
| org-columns-default-format                        |                       6 |
| org-fast-tag-selection-single-key                 |                       6 |
| org-mode-hook                                     |                       6 |
| org-publish-project-alist                         |                       6 |
| org-tag-alist                                     |                       6 |
| org-agenda-show-all-dates                         |                       5 |
| org-directory                                     |                       5 |
| org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments                   |                       5 |
| org-special-ctrl-k                                |                       5 |
| org-tags-match-list-sublevels                     |                       5 |
| auto-mode-alist                                   |                       4 |
| org-blank-before-new-entry                        |                       4 |
| org-drawers                                       |                       4 |
| org-global-properties                             |                       4 |
| org-refile-targets                                |                       4 |
| org-return-follows-link                           |                       4 |
| org-reverse-note-order                            |                       4 |
| org-startup-folded                                |                       4 |
| org-todo-keyword-faces                            |                       4 |
| org-agenda-log-mode-items                         |                       3 |
| org-agenda-time-grid                              |                       3 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled                  |                       3 |
| org-clock-history-length                          |                       3 |
| org-clock-persist                                 |                       3 |
| org-export-html-style                             |                       3 |
| org-export-latex-classes                          |                       3 |
| org-id-method                                     |                       3 |
| org-link-frame-setup                              |                       3 |
| org-odd-levels-only                               |                       3 |
| org-refile-use-outline-path                       |                       3 |
| org-remember-store-without-prompt                 |                       3 |
| org-show-siblings                                 |                       3 |
| org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes                   |                       3 |
| org-todo-state-tags-triggers                      |                       3 |
| org-use-fast-tag-selection                        |                       3 |
| org-after-todo-state-change-hook                  |                       2 |
| org-agenda-exporter-settings                      |                       2 |
| org-agenda-mode-hook                              |                       2 |
| org-agenda-repeating-timestamp-show-all           |                       2 |
| org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit             |                       2 |
| org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done                 |                       2 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date                  |                       2 |
| org-archive-location                              |                       2 |
| org-archive-save-context-info                     |                       2 |
| org-attach-method                                 |                       2 |
| org-clock-in-resume                               |                       2 |
| org-clock-in-switch-to-state                      |                       2 |
| org-clock-out-remove-zero-time-clocks             |                       2 |
| org-clock-out-when-done                           |                       2 |
| org-code                                          |                       2 |
| org-enforce-todo-dependencies                     |                       2 |
| org-export-mark-todo-in-toc                       |                       2 |
| org-export-with-sub-superscripts                  |                       2 |
| org-fast-tag-selection-include-todo               |                       2 |
| org-icalendar-include-todo                        |                       2 |
| org-icalendar-store-UID                           |                       2 |
| org-link-abbrev-alist                             |                       2 |
| org-link-mailto-program                           |                       2 |
| org-log-repeat                                    |                       2 |
| org-M-RET-may-split-line                          |                       2 |
| org-modules                                       |                       2 |
| org-outline-path-complete-in-steps                |                       2 |
| org-remember-default-headline                     |                       2 |
| org-remember-insinuate                            |                       2 |
| org-show-entry-below                              |                       2 |
| org-show-following-heading                        |                       2 |
| org-structure-template-alist                      |                       2 |
| org-table                                         |                       2 |
| org-tag                                           |                       2 |
| org-todo-interpretation                           |                       2 |
| org-use-property-inheritance                      |                       2 |
| appt-activate                                     |                       1 |
| before-save-hook                                  |                       1 |
| org-add-link-type                                 |                       1 |
| org-after-todo-statistics-hook                    |                       1 |
| org-agenda-after-show-hook                        |                       1 |
| org-agenda-clockreport-parameter-plist            |                       1 |
| org-agenda-columns-add-appointments-to-effort-sum |                       1 |
| org-agenda-columns-compute-summary-properties     |                       1 |
| org-agenda-remove-times-when-in-prefix            |                       1 |
| org-agenda-show-inherited-tags                    |                       1 |
| org-agenda-skip-unavailable-files                 |                       1 |
| org-agenda-start-with-clockreport-mode            |                       1 |
| org-agenda-tags-column                            |                       1 |
| org-agenda-text-search-extra-files                |                       1 |
| org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines                  |                       1 |
| org-agenda-use-time-grid                          |                       1 |
| org-annotate-file-storage-file                    |                       1 |
| org-archive-mark-done                             |                       1 |
| org-attach-auto-tag                               |                       1 |
| org-attach-directory                              |                       1 |
| org-blank-before-bullet                           |                       1 |
| org-calc-default-modes                            |                       1 |
| org-clock-persist-file                            |                       1 |
| org-clock-persistence-insinuate                   |                       1 |
| org-clock-remove-zero-time-clocks                 |                       1 |
| org-column                                        |                       1 |
| org-combined-agenda-icalendar-file                |                       1 |
| org-confirm-elisp-link-function                   |                       1 |
| org-date                                          |                       1 |
| org-default-notes-files                           |                       1 |
| org-default-priority                              |                       1 |
| org-disputed-keys                                 |                       1 |
| org-ditaa-jar-path                                |                       1 |
| org-done                                          |                       1 |
| org-effort-property                               |                       1 |
| org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists             |                       1 |
| org-export-default-language                       |                       1 |
| org-export-html-inline-images                     |                       1 |
| org-export-html-table-tag                         |                       1 |
| org-export-html-title-format                      |                       1 |
| org-export-html-use-infojs                        |                       1 |
| org-export-latex-remove-from-headlines            |                       1 |
| org-export-run-in-background                      |                       1 |
| org-export-section-number-format                  |                       1 |
| org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading           |                       1 |
| org-export-with-drawers                           |                       1 |
| org-export-with-priority                          |                       1 |
| org-export-with-section-numbers                   |                       1 |
| org-export-with-toc                               |                       1 |
| org-file-apps                                     |                       1 |
| org-finalize-agenda-hook                          |                       1 |
| org-fontify-done-headline                         |                       1 |
| org-footnote-auto-label                           |                       1 |
| org-footnote-section                              |                       1 |
| org-formula                                       |                       1 |
| org-gnus-prefer-web-links                         |                       1 |
| org-goto-interface                                |                       1 |
| org-goto-max-level                                |                       1 |
| org-hide                                          |                       1 |
| org-hide-emphasis-markers                         |                       1 |
| org-highlight-latex-fragments-and-specials        |                       1 |
| org-icalendar-include-sexps                       |                       1 |
| org-infojs-options                                |                       1 |
| org-insert-heading-respect-content                |                       1 |
| org-insert-mode-line-in-empty-file                |                       1 |
| org-keep-stored-link-after-insertion              |                       1 |
| org-latex-and-export-specials                     |                       1 |
| org-link-to-org-use-id                            |                       1 |
| org-log-note-clock-out                            |                       1 |
| org-log-note-headings                             |                       1 |
| org-log-state-notes-insert-after-drawers          |                       1 |
| org-log-states-order-reversed                     |                       1 |
| org-lowest-priority                               |                       1 |
| org-mairix-display-hook                           |                       1 |
| org-mairix-gnus-results-group                     |                       1 |
| org-mairix-gnus-select-display-group-function     |                       1 |
| org-mairix-mutt-display-command                   |                       1 |
| org-plain-list-ordered-item-terminator            |                       1 |
| org-property-value                                |                       1 |
| org-publish-use-timestamps-flag                   |                       1 |
| org-remember-clock-out-on-exit                    |                       1 |
| org-remember-use-refile-when-interactive          |                       1 |
| org-remove-highlights-with-change                 |                       1 |
| org-replace-disputed-keys                         |                       1 |
| org-show-hierarchy-above                          |                       1 |
| org-sort-agenda-noeffort-is-high                  |                       1 |
| org-startup-align-all-tables                      |                       1 |
| org-startup-truncated                             |                       1 |
| org-table-export-default-format                   |                       1 |
| org-table-formula-evaluate-inline                 |                       1 |
| org-tags-column                                   |                       1 |
| org-time-clocksum-format                          |                       1 |
| org-time-grid                                     |                       1 |
| org-time-stamp-custom-formats                     |                       1 |
| org-todo                                          |                       1 |
| org-use-tag-inheritance                           |                       1 |
| org-verbatim                                      |                       1 |

I have attached a file with raw data.

--
Manish

PS: I did not add my own data because that messes everything up.  It
seems I have touched *every single one* at least one time or the other.