* position figures side by side in PDF output
@ 2015-05-20 16:30 Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-05-20 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi there,

Could anyone give me some advice on how to position figures side by side in PDF output?
I am trying to write a report, while my figures were all originally produced individually.  I’d like
to put them, mostly two, sometimes three, side by side sharing a same caption and label.
Below is the syntax I am using now, which can only do one figure.

     #+BEGIN_CENTER
     #+CAPTION[My short Caption]: my long caption
     #+NAME: fig:label
     #+ATTR_LATEX: :options page=1 :width \textwidth
    [[/path/to/my/figure1]]
     #+END_CENTER

Thanks a lot!

Zhihao

* Re: position figures side by side in PDF output
@ 2015-05-20 16:45 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Zhihao,

Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@imm.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Could anyone give me some advice on how to position figures side by side in PDF output?
> I am trying to write a report, while my figures were all originally produced individually.  I’d like
> to put them, mostly two, sometimes three, side by side sharing a same caption and label.
> Below is the syntax I am using now, which can only do one figure.

Does this thread answer your question?  It would give you individual
subcaptions, but you need not use them.

     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-11/msg00548.html

Otherwise you could use e.g. imagemagick to stick together figures.

—Rasmus

--
Need more coffee. . .

* Re: position figures side by side in PDF output
@ 2015-05-20 21:03   ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2015-05-20 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Zhihao,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
> Hi Zhihao,
>
> Zhihao Ding <zhihao.ding@imm.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Could anyone give me some advice on how to position figures side by side in PDF output?
>> I am trying to write a report, while my figures were all originally produced individually.  I’d like
>> to put them, mostly two, sometimes three, side by side sharing a same caption and label.
>> Below is the syntax I am using now, which can only do one figure.
>
> Does this thread answer your question?  It would give you individual
> subcaptions, but you need not use them.
>
>      https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-11/msg00548.html
>
> Otherwise you could use e.g. imagemagick to stick together figures.

As an alternative you could use a table.
+ easy
+ orgmode only (should work across backends)
- no scaling of images
- it is a table for latex (i.e. will appear in list of tables, etc.)

Here is a short example for the table approach and an imagemagick-based
solution as proposed by Rasmus.

* generate images						   :noexport:
#+name: image1
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file img1.pdf
  plot(1:10)
#+end_src

#+results: image1
[[file:img1.pdf]]

#+name: image2
#+begin_src R :results graphics :file img2.pdf
  plot(1:5)
#+end_src

#+results: image2
[[file:img2.pdf]]

* export side-by-side

** table
#+caption: stitching side-by-side using tables
| [[file:img1.pdf]] | [[file:img2.pdf]] |

** using imagemagick

*** function							   :noexport:
#+name: sidebyside
#+begin_src sh :session none :results file replace :var im1="im1.png" :var im2="im2.png" :var outname="out.png"
  convert "$im1" "$im2" +append "$outname"
  echo "$outname"
#+end_src

*** test
#+name: combinedfig
#+call: sidebyside(im1="img1.pdf", im2="img2.pdf") :results file

#+caption: stitching side-by-side using imagemagick
#+results: combinedfig
[[file:out.png]]

Andreas

* Re: position figures side by side in PDF output
@ 2015-05-21  8:45     ` Zhihao Ding
From: Zhihao Ding @ 2015-05-21  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Leha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks a lot Andreas and Rasmus!
The solution using the subcaption package works best for me.

Best,
Zhihao