* Scheduled tasks: total time since last DONE
@ 2014-07-15 20:55 Fletcher Charest
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-07-15 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I'm sorry if this is a common question but I had trouble finding the right
keywords.

I am a little puzzled by the way scheduled tasks work. I will give an
example. Let's have this task:

* TODO Clean the kitchen
SCHEDULED: <2014-07-20 jeu. .+1w>

If I'm lazy and don't do it for one whole week, on 2014-07-27 I will see
this in my agenda:

Scheduled:  TODO Clean the kitchen

But I would really like to see this instead:

Sched. 7x:  TODO Clean the kitchen

This way I could see it's been 7 days I didn't do it, and tasks would be
better organized in the agenda. RIght now, a task that I have to do on a
weekly basis never has a number greater than '6x', and even if it hasn't
been done for months, it still appears on the bottom of the list in the
agenda, with a small number.

So is there a way to correct this? How do you proceed?

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

FC

* Re: Scheduled tasks: total time since last DONE
@ 2014-07-16 15:33 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-07-16 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fletcher Charest <fletcher.charest@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm sorry if this is a common question but I had trouble finding the
> right keywords.
>
> I am a little puzzled by the way scheduled tasks work. I will give an
> example. Let's have this task:
>
> * TODO Clean the kitchen
> SCHEDULED: <2014-07-20 jeu. .+1w>
>
> If I'm lazy and don't do it for one whole week, on 2014-07-27 I will
> see this in my agenda:
>
> Scheduled: TODO Clean the kitchen
>
> But I would really like to see this instead:
>
> Sched. 7x: TODO Clean the kitchen
>
> This way I could see it's been 7 days I didn't do it, and tasks would
> be better organized in the agenda. RIght now, a task that I have to do
> on a weekly basis never has a number greater than '6x', and even if it
> hasn't been done for months, it still appears on the bottom of the
> list in the agenda, with a small number.
>
> So is there a way to correct this? How do you proceed?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Regards,
>
> FC

Hmm, I think that is how mine does work.   Sorry, everything is up to date at
the moment, but I'll let one run over and see what it looks like.

Dave

* Re: Scheduled tasks: total time since last DONE
@ 2014-07-28 14:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fletcher Charest; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Fletcher,

Fletcher Charest <fletcher.charest@gmail.com> writes:

> This way I could see it's been 7 days I didn't do it, and tasks would
> be better organized in the agenda. RIght now, a task that I have to
> do on a weekly basis never has a number greater than '6x', and even
> if it hasn't been done for months, it still appears on the bottom of
> the list in the agenda, with a small number.
>
> So is there a way to correct this?

Not really.

> How do you proceed?

I distinguish "repeating tasks" and "nagging tasks".

Cleaning the kitchen is typically a nagging task: not because some
people find it boring (no comment) but because you can't do the next
one before doing the previous one*... a repeating task is typically a
course at the uni: you can attend the next one without attending the
previous one, and in this case, the current behavior of Org makes
sense.

So, for nagging tasks, I simply don't use a repeater, this way the
task is always nagging me :)  When it's done, I reschedule it using
C-c C-s . S-<down> for the next week.  And voilà.

HTH,

* A joke of a good friend of mine:

« See you next time!
- Mhh.. will be difficult to see each others before this one. »

--
 Bastien

* Re: Scheduled tasks: total time since last DONE
@ 2014-07-28 15:45 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-07-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Fletcher Charest wrote:
> I am a little puzzled by the way scheduled tasks work. I will give an
> example. Let's have this task:
>
> * TODO Clean the kitchen
> SCHEDULED: <2014-07-20 jeu. .+1w>
>
> If I'm lazy and don't do it for one whole week, on 2014-07-27 I will see
> this in my agenda:
>
> Scheduled:  TODO Clean the kitchen
>
> But I would really like to see this instead:
>
> Sched. 7x:  TODO Clean the kitchen

AFAICT, this is the default, which I've changed by:

    ;; text preceding scheduled items in the agenda view
    (setq org-agenda-scheduled-leaders
          '("Scheduled  "
            "           "))

> This way I could see it's been 7 days I didn't do it, and tasks would be
> better organized in the agenda. RIght now, a task that I have to do on a
> weekly basis never has a number greater than '6x', and even if it hasn't
> been done for months, it still appears on the bottom of the list in the
> agenda, with a small number.

Don't understand this.

Best regards,
  Seb