* Latex export error: There's no line here to end, with an image with a caption
@ 2017-01-06  8:32 Takeshi Teshima
From: Takeshi Teshima @ 2017-01-06  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

A happy new year!

I have a problem with org-export-to-latex.

# What happens

## [1]

When I try to export an org-mode file **that contains a figure with a
caption** with `#+OPTIONS: \n:t`, (See minimal example files)

to a pdf via latex-export, the exported latex file doesn't compile and I
get the following error:

```

LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.

```

in the `*Org PDF LaTeX Output*` buffer. Thus this is an error from the
command line.

## [2]

So I go to the line of the .tex file that's specified in the error, and
the line always says:

``` latex

\end{figure}\\

```

## [3]

If I remove the double backslashes by hand, and compile the generated
.tex file from the command line, it produces a pdf correctly.

# My environment

I've checked this with:

[1] Org-mode version 8.3.6 (8.3.6-7-g4d7d52-elpa @ ~~~)

[2] Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ ~~~)

[3] Org-mode version 9.0.3 (9.0.3-elpa @ ~~~)

, but the same errors occur.

(I normally use version 8. I know this is an old version. However, v9
has another problem with #+TITLE: lines. See
https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/3246 for more details)

# Reproducing the error

## Files

Attached, please find the files for a minimum example.

- test.org

- test-2017-01-06-17-05-09.jpeg

## Procedure to reproduce:

1. Place the files in the same directory

2. $ emacs -q test.org

3. M-x org-latex-export-to-pdf

(Or instead of 2., your own emacs config will do)

# What I already found

- The caption is necessary to reproduce the error.

- The problem occurs with a single image.

- If I remove the double backslashes by hand, and compile the generated
.tex file, it compiles correctly.

- The problem doesn't occur with `#+OPTIONS: \n:nil` (which is kind of
trivial)

# Reference

A relevant thread can be found here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2016-09/msg00002.html

but I couldn't find a solution there.

Anyone has any ideas? Any idea to bypass this problem may be a lifesaver
for me.

[-- Attachment #2: test-2017-01-06-17-05-09.jpeg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 8246 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 69 bytes --]

#+CAPTION: test
[[./test-2017-01-06-17-05-09.jpeg]]

* Re: Latex export error: There's no line here to end, with an image with a caption
@ 2017-01-18 22:38 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-01-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takeshi Teshima; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Takeshi Teshima <takeshi.diadochos@gmail.com> writes:

> When I try to export an org-mode file **that contains a figure with
> a caption** with `#+OPTIONS: \n:t`, (See minimal example files)
>
> to a pdf via latex-export, the exported latex file doesn't compile and
> I get the following error:
>
> ```
>
> LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.
>
> ```
>
> in the `*Org PDF LaTeX Output*` buffer. Thus this is an error from the
> command line.
>
> ## [2]
>
> So I go to the line of the .tex file that's specified in the error,
> and the line always says:
>
> ``` latex
>
> \end{figure}\\
>
> ```

It is fixed. Could you confirm it behaves as expected in non-trivial
cases?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Latex export error: There's no line here to end, with an image with a caption
@ 2017-01-19  3:01   ` Takeshi Teshima
From: Takeshi Teshima @ 2017-01-19  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Mr. Goaziou,
Thank you for the reply!

Wow, thank you. It worked. The problem seems to stem from my own config.
It worked as I turned my personal settings off.

Best,
     Takeshi