* Some bugs in org-5.05 docs
@ 2007-08-23 14:16 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-08-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

,----[ C-h f org-insert-link-global RET ]
| org-insert-link-global is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `org.el'.
| It is bound to C-c o i.
| (org-insert-link-global)
|
| Insert a link like Org-mode does.
| This command can be called in any mode to follow a link that has
| Org-mode syntax.
`----

Clearly the second sentence is wrong.  It creates links and doesn't
follow them.

,----[ (info "(org)Using links outside Org-mode") ]
|      (define-key global-map 'org-insert-link-global "\\C-c L")
|      (define-key global-map 'org-open-at-point-global "\\C-c o")
`----

That's totally broken. :-)  `define-key' has this signature:

       (define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF)

So KEY has to be before DEF.  And there's one \ too much in the KEY
definition.  Maybe using the (kbd "C-c L") form would be the best, as it
is the easiest for users.  And maybe `global-set-key' is better, too...

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c L") 'org-insert-link-global)
   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c o") 'org-open-at-point-global)

,----[ (info "(org)Radio targets") ]
| You can configure Org-mode to link any occurrences of certain target
| names in normal text.
`----

Hey, that's a nice feature.  I just tried it out and it just worked, so
it seems that not further customizations are required.  So I'd rephrase
the sentence above a bit to not confuse users.  (Oh, it can be
configured, but where is explained how?!?)

Thanks for your brilliant work!
Tassilo
--
Using his trademark roundhouse kick,  Chuck Norris once made a fieldgoal
in RJ Stadium in Tampa Bay from  the 50 yard line of Qualcomm stadium in

* Re: Some bugs in org-5.05 docs
@ 2007-08-23 15:47 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Tassilo.

- Carsten

On Aug 23, 2007, at 16:16, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> ,----[ C-h f org-insert-link-global RET ]
> | org-insert-link-global is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `org.el'.
> | It is bound to C-c o i.
> | (org-insert-link-global)
> |
> | Insert a link like Org-mode does.
> | This command can be called in any mode to follow a link that has
> | Org-mode syntax.
> `----
>
> Clearly the second sentence is wrong.  It creates links and doesn't
> follow them.
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Using links outside Org-mode") ]
> |      (define-key global-map 'org-insert-link-global "\\C-c L")
> |      (define-key global-map 'org-open-at-point-global "\\C-c o")
> `----
>
> That's totally broken. :-)  `define-key' has this signature:
>
>        (define-key KEYMAP KEY DEF)
>
> So KEY has to be before DEF.  And there's one \ too much in the KEY
> definition.  Maybe using the (kbd "C-c L") form would be the best, as
> it
> is the easiest for users.  And maybe `global-set-key' is better, too...
>
>    (global-set-key (kbd "C-c L") 'org-insert-link-global)
>    (global-set-key (kbd "C-c o") 'org-open-at-point-global)
>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Radio targets") ]
> | You can configure Org-mode to link any occurrences of certain target
> | names in normal text.
> `----
>
> Hey, that's a nice feature.  I just tried it out and it just worked, so
> it seems that not further customizations are required.  So I'd rephrase
> the sentence above a bit to not confuse users.  (Oh, it can be
> configured, but where is explained how?!?)
>
> Thanks for your brilliant work!
> Tassilo
> --
> Using his trademark roundhouse kick,  Chuck Norris once made a
> fieldgoal
> in RJ Stadium in Tampa Bay from  the 50 yard line of Qualcomm stadium
> in
> San Diego.

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Some bugs in org-5.05 docs
@ 2007-08-23 16:00   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 23, 2007, at 17:47, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> ,----[ (info "(org)Radio targets") ]
>> | You can configure Org-mode to link any occurrences of certain target
>> | names in normal text.
>> `----
>>
>> Hey, that's a nice feature.  I just tried it out and it just worked,

Yes, it can be a fun feature.  However, don't over-use it, if you create
very many radio targets, font-lock becomes slow (because that is what is
creating those links on the fly)

- Carsten