* Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-14 18:02 Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-10-14 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

when I open agenda view it always resizes the frame and ruins my
current frames. How could I fix that, so that it stays in the frame
where I executed the command and doesn't resize it?

Thanks, Sebastjan

* Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-15  7:56 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-15  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastjan Trepca; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 14, 2007, at 20:02, Sebastjan Trepca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I open agenda view it always resizes the frame and ruins my
> current frames. How could I fix that, so that it stays in the frame
> where I executed the command and doesn't resize it?

Use the selfdocumenting power of Emacs:

Menu:

Org -> Customize -> Browse Org Group

Open group "Org Agenda"
Open group "Org Agenda Window Setup"
Select option "Org Agenda Window Setup"

There is the documentation:
,-------------------------------------------------------------
| How the agenda buffer should be displayed. Hide Rest
| Possible values for this option are:
|
| current-window    Show agenda in the current window,
|                   keeping all other windows.
| other-frame       Use `switch-to-buffer-other-frame'
|                   to display agenda.
| other-window      Use `switch-to-buffer-other-window'
|                   to display agenda.
| reorganize-frame  Show only two windows on the current
|                   frame, the current window and the agenda.
| See also the variable `org-agenda-restore-windows-after-quit'.
`---------------------------------------------------------------

Ahh, the current value is `reorganize-frame', which is why it messes
up my frame.  Lets flip this option to `current window'.......
Click on "Value Menu", select "current-window", click
"Set for Current Session" and then "Save for Future Sessions".

:-)  Emacs is your friend.

- Carsten

* Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-15 11:20   ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2007-10-15 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Oct 14, 2007, at 20:02, Sebastjan Trepca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> when I open agenda view it always resizes the frame and ruins my
>> current frames. How could I fix that, so that it stays in the frame
>> where I executed the command and doesn't resize it?
>
> Use the selfdocumenting power of Emacs:

> Ahh, the current value is `reorganize-frame', which is why it messes
> up my frame...
> - Carsten

This was somewhat helpful to me, but mostly in helping me track down
the problem.

The issue (for me, anyway) is that "reorganize-frame" does not work
the same as it used to. For example, let's assume that I have the
*Calendar* buffer displayed, and my agenda will by default display the
whole week, which happens to be very busy lately. Then, when I call
org-agenda-list, the result is that I can see only the last line or
two of the calendar.

This is not what used to happen in previous versions of
org-mode. Looking for something that would account for the change in
behavior, I found a difference in org-fit-agenda-window. In short,
that function has this as its affirmative result in version 10b:

      (fit-window-to-buffer nil (/ (* (frame-height) 3) 4)
                             (/ (frame-height) 2))

while in version 12c it is simply:

      (fit-window-to-buffer)

Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog, wherein
I found this note:

    (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.

So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an important
reason.

However, the previous functionality actually worked better for me than
the current definition of org-fit-agenda-window (more of the
(week-long) agenda listed, with all of the calendar but no wasted
space for the calendar). I also liked what it delivered better than
what results now from having org-agenda-window-setup set to
`other-window', which simply splits the window in two. I can't say
whether this is what the OP was after as well.

At any rate, I'll adjust, by having this option set to other-window,
and changing the value of org-agenda-ndays to 1.

Thanks,

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-15 11:29     ` Carsten Dominik
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 15, 2007, at 13:20, Dan Griswold wrote:
> Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog, wherein
> I found this note:
>
>     (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.
>
> So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an important
> reason.

Well, it was upon the request of a single person.  If it does not
work for others, we can reverse it, or make it configurable.

- Carsten

> However, the previous functionality actually worked better for me than
> the current definition of org-fit-agenda-window (more of the
> (week-long) agenda listed, with all of the calendar but no wasted
> space for the calendar). I also liked what it delivered better than
> what results now from having org-agenda-window-setup set to
> `other-window', which simply splits the window in two. I can't say
> whether this is what the OP was after as well.
>
> At any rate, I'll adjust, by having this option set to other-window,
> and changing the value of org-agenda-ndays to 1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-15 13:43       ` Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-10-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Dan Griswold, emacs-orgmode

Thanks, it works!

I'm quite new in Emacs and org-mode but loving every minute of it :)

@ 2007-10-15 18:19       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-15 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Oct 15, 2007, at 13:20, Dan Griswold wrote:
>> Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog, wherein
>> I found this note:
>>
>>     (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.
>>
>> So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an important
>> reason.
>
> Well, it was upon the request of a single person.  If it does not
> work for others, we can reverse it, or make it configurable.

I think the current window size is less convenient to work with than the
original version.  Especially if you switch windows:

C-a a a for me currently shows only 5 lines in the agenda then if I hit
return on an item I get this tiny window to work in for my org-mode
file.  So I prefer the older version to this behaviour :)

Just my two cents,
Bernt

* Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-15 18:20       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Oct 15, 2007, at 13:20, Dan Griswold wrote:
>> Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog, wherein
>> I found this note:
>>
>>     (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.
>>
>> So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an important
>> reason.
>
> Well, it was upon the request of a single person.  If it does not
> work for others, we can reverse it, or make it configurable.

I think the current window size is less convenient to work with than the
original version.  Especially if you switch windows:

C-a a a for me currently shows only 5 lines in the agenda then if I hit
return on an item I get this tiny window to work in for my org-mode
file.  So I prefer the older version to this behaviour :)

Making
Just my two cents,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Agenda view resizes frames
@ 2007-10-16  6:50         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-16  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: John Wiegley, org-mode list

On Oct 15, 2007, at 20:19, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> On Oct 15, 2007, at 13:20, Dan Griswold wrote:
>>> Then, in a V-8 moment (doh!) I thought to check the Changelog,
>>> wherein
>>> I found this note:
>>>
>>>     (org-fit-agenda-window): Limitations on window size removed.
>>>
>>> So, this was an intentional change. It must have been for an
>>> important
>>> reason.
>>
>> Well, it was upon the request of a single person.  If it does not
>> work for others, we can reverse it, or make it configurable.
>
> I think the current window size is less convenient to work with than
> the
> original version.  Especially if you switch windows:
>
> C-a a a for me currently shows only 5 lines in the agenda then if I hit
> return on an item I get this tiny window to work in for my org-mode
> file.  So I prefer the older version to this behaviour :)

OK, I am reversing the change.

John, there will be a variable `org-agenda-window-frame-fractions'
to configure this.

-Carsten