* Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-12  4:09 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-12  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Org-mode 5.12 is up on http://orgmode.org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 5.12
-----------------------

* Overview

   - Remember templates can now have a name.
   - `C-c C-k' will abort taking a note (remember of log)
   - `C-c C-x C-w' and `C-c C-x M-w' now accept a prefix arg.
   - Lines in the agenda can be fontified according to priority.
   - New variable `org-scheduled-past-days'.
   - New variables `org-agenda-deadline-leaders' and
     `org-agenda-scheduled-leaders'.
   - New sparse tree function `org-sparse-tree'.
   - The variable `org-ellipsis' now defaults to `org-link'.
   - The #+OPTIONS line has a new option "tags".
   - New variable `org-use-property-inheritance'.

* Incompatible Changes

   - `C-c /' now calls `org-sparse-tree'.

* Details

   - Remember templates can now have a template name as the first
     element.  The name will be listed along with the selection
     character when prompting for a template.  It is best to have
     the name start with the selection character, for example if
     you use ("Note" "n"), you will be prompted like "[n]ote".
     Thanks to Matiyam for this proposal.

   - `C-c C-k' will abort taking a note.  You can use this in remember
     buffers and when taking a logging note (e.g. for a state
     change).  Thanks to Bastien.

   - `C-c C-x C-w' and `C-c C-x M-w' now accept a prefix arg to
     cut N sequential subtrees.  This was a proposal by John.

   - Lines in the agenda are now bold if they have priority A and
     italic if they have priority C.  You can turn this off using
     the variable `org-agenda-fontify-priorities'.  Thanks to
     John Wiegley for the idea and code.

   - New variable `org-scheduled-past-days' to set the number a
     scheduled item will be listed after its date has passed.
     Default is 10000, i.e. indefinitely.

   - New variables `org-agenda-deadline-leaders' and
     `org-agenda-scheduled-leaders' to adjust the leading text o
     scheduled items and deadline in the agenda.  Thanks to John
     Wiegley for a patch.

   - New sparse tree function `org-sparse-tree'.  This is now the
     default binding for `C-c /'.  It requires one additional
     keypress to select a command, but in return is provides a
     single interface to all the different sparse tree commands,
     with full completion support.

   - The variable `org-ellipsis' now defaults to the face
     `org-link' because the visibility of the dots is really bad
     and I have found this change very useful indeed.

   - The #+OPTIONS line has a new option "tags" which can be used
     to set `org-export-with-tags'.  Thanks to Wanrong Lin for
     this proposal.

   - New variable `org-use-property-inheritance'.  Configure it
     to `t' if you want that searching for entries with certain
     properties always should assume inheritance.  This is not
     well tested yet, please check it out.

   - Bug fixes

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-13  6:41 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-10-13  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

On 10/11/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Changes in Version 5.12
> -----------------------
>    - The variable `org-ellipsis' now defaults to `org-link'.

What are your thoughts on making this clickable, with RET and mouse? I
don't know, the link face makes it looks like it should be.

Just an idea.

--Scott

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-14  6:14   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-14  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: org-mode list

On Oct 13, 2007, at 8:41, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> On 10/11/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> Changes in Version 5.12
>> -----------------------
>>    - The variable `org-ellipsis' now defaults to `org-link'.
>
> What are your thoughts on making this clickable, with RET and mouse? I
> don't know, the link face makes it looks like it should be.
>
> Just an idea.

I don't know if this is possible.  I use org-link because it is
underlined.
Maybe it is a bad choice, actually - what would be the good choice for
this
face?

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-14 10:44     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-14 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> What are your thoughts on making this clickable, with RET and mouse? I
>> don't know, the link face makes it looks like it should be.
>>
>> Just an idea.
>
> I don't know if this is possible.  I use org-link because it is
> underlined.  Maybe it is a bad choice, actually - what would be the
> good choice for this face?

org-time-grid ?

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-14 17:00       ` Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-10-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Idea about having A priority tasks in bold is good, but I don't think
so for italic. I think italic is much more visible then normal font,
so I was wondering how could I disable this feature for only italic
tasks.

I want to have A tasks bold, B tasks normal and C tasks in less
visible color like silver.

Thanks, Sebastjan

On 10/14/07, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
> >> What are your thoughts on making this clickable, with RET and mouse? I
> >> don't know, the link face makes it looks like it should be.
> >>
> >> Just an idea.
> >
> > I don't know if this is possible.  I use org-link because it is
> > underlined.  Maybe it is a bad choice, actually - what would be the
> > good choice for this face?
>
> org-time-grid ?
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-14 20:15   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> The new variable works well, thanks! It would be nice, if one can set
> the variable on the fly, when searching. Maybe with an additional
> search flag like ALL in the beginning!?

Or maybe the prefixed version of `org-sparse-tree' could toggle
inheritance for tags (org-use-tag-inheritance) and for property
(org-use-property-inheritance); not sure about this, since it
should have an effect on regexp and todo search as well -- and
I can't think of something suitable.

> One more great feature would be an additional option to the
> 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function from the resulting agenda
> view. The additional function would extract the property
> drawing and the headline which corresponds to the inherited
> property together with the headline shown in the agenda view.

???

> Probably it's better to give a small example:

Sure :)

> The inherited search would look like:
>
> test1="1"+neuerTest="0"
>
> which results using the 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function in:
> ** Headline b
> :PROPERTIES:
> :neuerTest:0
> :END:
> some comments

As both expected and correct.

> The new additional feature would result in:
> * HEADLINE 1
> :PROPERTIES:
> :test:1
> :END:
> some comments
>
> ** Headline b
> :PROPERTIES:
> :neuerTest:0
> :END:
> some comments

If I understand well, it's just a matter of display the "parent"
headline while displaying the matched entry?

Isn't this achievable with `org-show-hierarchy-above'?

> It would help to know about the corresponding
> properties... especially, if you are using this approach as a
> simulation database management tool.  This would be great :-)

Hey don't hurt yourself :)

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-14 20:15 ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-10-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

...sorry, a second try to reply...

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik schrieb am 10/12/2007 04:09 AM:
>    - New variable `org-use-property-inheritance'.  Configure it
>      to `t' if you want that searching for entries with certain
>      properties always should assume inheritance.  This is not
>      well tested yet, please check it out.

The new variable works well, thanks! It would be nice, if
one can
set the variable on the fly, when searching. Maybe with an
additional search flag like ALL in the beginning!?

One more great feature would be an additional option to the
'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function from the resulting agenda
view. The additional function would extract the property
drawing and the headline which corresponds to the inherited
property together with the headline shown in the agenda view.
Probably it's better to give a small example:

* HEADLINE 1
:PROPERTIES:
:test:1
:END:
some comments

** Headline a

** Headline b
:PROPERTIES:
:neuerTest:0
:END:
some comments

** Headline c

The inherited search would look like:

test1="1"+neuerTest="0"

which results using the 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function in:
** Headline b
:PROPERTIES:
:neuerTest:0
:END:
some comments

The new additional feature would result in:
* HEADLINE 1
:PROPERTIES:
:test:1
:END:
some comments

** Headline b
:PROPERTIES:
:neuerTest:0
:END:
some comments

i.e. the comments, properties and headline of the inherited
property are listed too. I would help to know about the
corresponding properties... especially, if you are using
this approach as a simulation database management tool.
This would be great   :-)

Greetings!
Fabian

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-15 18:45         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-15 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastjan Trepca; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I will make this more configurable in 5.13.  Thanks.

- Carsten
On Oct 14, 2007, at 19:00, Sebastjan Trepca wrote:

> Idea about having A priority tasks in bold is good, but I don't think
> so for italic. I think italic is much more visible then normal font,
> so I was wondering how could I disable this feature for only italic
> tasks.
>
> I want to have A tasks bold, B tasks normal and C tasks in less
> visible color like silver.
>
> Thanks, Sebastjan

>>> I don't know if this is possible.  I use org-link because it is
>>> underlined.  Maybe it is a bad choice, actually - what would be the
>>> good choice for this face?
>>
>> org-time-grid ?
>>
>> --
>> Bastien

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-15 20:59     ` Fabian Braennstroem
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-10-15 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien wrote:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> The new variable works well, thanks! It would be nice, if one can set
>> the variable on the fly, when searching. Maybe with an additional
>> search flag like ALL in the beginning!?
>
> Or maybe the prefixed version of `org-sparse-tree' could toggle
> inheritance for tags (org-use-tag-inheritance) and for property
> (org-use-property-inheritance); not sure about this, since it
> should have an effect on regexp and todo search as well -- and
> I can't think of something suitable.
>
>> One more great feature would be an additional option to the
>> 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function from the resulting agenda
>> view. The additional function would extract the property
>> drawing and the headline which corresponds to the inherited
>> property together with the headline shown in the agenda view.
>
> ???
>
>> Probably it's better to give a small example:
>
> Sure :)
>
>> The inherited search would look like:
>>
>> test1="1"+neuerTest="0"
>>
>> which results using the 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function in:
>> ** Headline b
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :neuerTest:0
>> :END:
>> some comments
>
> As both expected and correct.
>
>> The new additional feature would result in:
>> * HEADLINE 1
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :test:1
>> :END:
>> some comments
>>
>> ** Headline b
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :neuerTest:0
>> :END:
>> some comments
>
> If I understand well, it's just a matter of display the "parent"
> headline while displaying the matched entry?
Yes, it is.

> Isn't this achievable with `org-show-hierarchy-above'?

I can't find this function!?

>> It would help to know about the corresponding
>> properties... especially, if you are using this approach as a
>> simulation database management tool.  This would be great :-)
>
> Hey don't hurt yourself :)

No, I watch out ... but I just can say, that org-mode seems to be great as a
management tool of everything, even (or better, especially) for simulation
data. :-)

Greetings!
Fabian

* Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-15 21:46       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-10-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

>> Isn't this achievable with `org-show-hierarchy-above'?
>
> I can't find this function!?

It's a variable not a function.

C-h v org-show-hierarchy-above RET

* Re: Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-15 23:41       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-15 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> No, I watch out ... but I just can say, that org-mode seems to be
> great as a management tool of everything, even (or better, especially)
> for simulation data. :-)

Actually, a page demonstrating this would be a really good read!

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-17  4:39       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-17  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 15, 2007, at 22:59, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>>> One more great feature would be an additional option to the
>>> 'tree-to-indirect-buffer' function from the resulting agenda
>>> view.

An indirect buffer is not something that is extracted, it is just
another view on the same buffer.  In this case it is narrowed,
and you can get back the rest of the buffer by widening it.
What you are asking for is basically to go back to the top
level heading and jump that tree into an indirect buffer.
This does not really help a lot, I guess.

- Carsten

--

@ 2007-10-17 21:36         ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-10-17 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi,

@Bernt: Thanks!
@Bastien:I will try to set up a small example.

> An indirect buffer is not something that is extracted, it is just
> another view on the same buffer.  In this case it is narrowed,
> and you can get back the rest of the buffer by widening it.
> What you are asking for is basically to go back to the top
> level heading and jump that tree into an indirect buffer.
> This does not really help a lot, I guess.

Yes, I would like to jump to the top level (it actually could be any level
with the inherited search tag) and jump that tree into an indirect buffer
without the other levels, but with searched lower level.
Fabian

* Re: Re: Re: Re: Org-mode version 5.12
@ 2007-10-18  5:37           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-18  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 17, 2007, at 23:36, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> @Bernt: Thanks!
> @Bastien:I will try to set up a small example.

>> An indirect buffer is not something that is extracted, it is just
>> another view on the same buffer.  In this case it is narrowed,
>> and you can get back the rest of the buffer by widening it.
>> What you are asking for is basically to go back to the top
>> level heading and jump that tree into an indirect buffer.
>> This does not really help a lot, I guess.
>
> Yes, I would like to jump to the top level (it actually could be any
> level
> with the inherited search tag) and jump that tree into an indirect
> buffer
> without the other levels, but with searched lower level.
> Fabian

It is not possible to skip the levels between the entry where the tag
is defined, and the entry that you are looking for.  Because, as I said
above the indirect buffer is not something that is extracted.

- Carsten