* Creating Org Table using Calc on C-syntax hex integers
@ 2009-06-24 22:24 Joseph Oswald
From: Joseph Oswald @ 2009-06-24 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
Running on Windows XP Pro
org-version 4.67c

I have composed a table in org including integers using C-syntax hexadecimal.

| Variable Name             | Current | Target.exe locn | Address of |        |
|                           |  Source |                 |  reference |  Delta |
|---------------------------+---------+-----------------+------------+--------|
| read_thread_func          | 0x11450 |         0x11450 |    0x113b8 |        |
| MainWndProc               | 0x18190 |         0x18190 |    0x11284 |        |
| l_bData                   | 0x1d1b8 |         0x1d194 |    0x187d8 |   0x24 |

I would like to create a formula that causes the difference between
two columns in this format to be calculated and displayed (preferably,
but not necessarily) in the same C-syntax, in the Delta column. (The
0x24 was calculated by hand in the above excerpt)

The file itself is primarily an org file, not a C file, and I would
prefer to keep the choice of C-syntax for Calc localized to this
particular .org file, or even better, to this particular table.

I have tried persuading the embedded calc mode to use the C "language
mode" for the table, it seems like there should be a line like

 % [calc-mode: language-mode: c]

or % [calc-mode: calc-language-option: c]

or some other thing that could be placed somewhere near the table or
in the file to affect how Calc treats the numbers in the table, but I
can't seem to figure how to make that happen. I find the Calc
documentation of this stuff to be a little confusing, as to which
names in the source and/or documentation apply to which context.

It appears from the .el source that the settings specific to org-calc
(i.e., following a semicolon after the formula are hard-coded to the
limited set described in "Formula Syntax for Calc"), not including
this setting.

1) Is it possible to do this?
2) If so, how?

Thanks for your help.

--Joe

P.S. The org-mode info file "Feedback node" suggests mailing Carsten
Dominik directly for "questions, remarks, or ideas" instead of this
mailing list. I assumed this list was a more appropriate target.

* Re: Creating Org Table using Calc on C-syntax hex integers
@ 2009-06-25  4:42 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-25  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Oswald; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 25, 2009, at 12:24 AM, Joseph Oswald wrote:

> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
> Running on Windows XP Pro
> org-version 4.67c
>
> I have composed a table in org including integers using C-syntax
> hexadecimal.
>
> | Variable Name             | Current | Target.exe locn | Address of
> |        |
> |                           |  Source |                 |  reference
> |  Delta |
> |---------------------------+---------+-----------------+------------
> +--------|
> | read_thread_func          | 0x11450 |         0x11450 |    0x113b8
> |        |
> | MainWndProc               | 0x18190 |         0x18190 |    0x11284
> |        |
> | l_bData                   | 0x1d1b8 |         0x1d194 |    0x187d8
> |   0x24 |
>
> I would like to create a formula that causes the difference between
> two columns in this format to be calculated and displayed (preferably,
> but not necessarily) in the same C-syntax, in the Delta column. (The
> 0x24 was calculated by hand in the above excerpt)
>
> The file itself is primarily an org file, not a C file, and I would
> prefer to keep the choice of C-syntax for Calc localized to this
> particular .org file, or even better, to this particular table.
>
> I have tried persuading the embedded calc mode to use the C "language
> mode" for the table, it seems like there should be a line like
>
>  % [calc-mode: language-mode: c]
>
> or % [calc-mode: calc-language-option: c]
>
> or some other thing that could be placed somewhere near the table or
> in the file to affect how Calc treats the numbers in the table, but I
> can't seem to figure how to make that happen. I find the Calc
> documentation of this stuff to be a little confusing, as to which
> names in the source and/or documentation apply to which context.
>
> It appears from the .el source that the settings specific to org-calc
> (i.e., following a semicolon after the formula are hard-coded to the
> limited set described in "Formula Syntax for Calc"), not including
> this setting.
>
> 1) Is it possible to do this?
> 2) If so, how?

Since you like to have C syntax, I am not sure how to do this with calc.
But you can always hach your way using a lisp formula instead:

| Variable Name    | Current | Target.exe locn | Address of |       |
|                  |  Source |                 |  reference | Delta |
| read_thread_func | 0x11450 |         0x11450 |    0x113b8 |   0x0 |
| MainWndProc      | 0x18190 |         0x18190 |    0x11284 |   0x0 |
| l_bData          | 0x1d1b8 |         0x1d194 |    0x187d8 |  0x24 |
#+TBLFM: $5='(format "0x%x" (- (read (concat "#" (substring $2 1)))
(read (concat "#" (substring $3 1)))))

HTH

This formula looks more complicated than it really is, because
it has to convert the number into Lisp syntax #x11450 before reading it.

- Carsten