* outline-magic incompatible with org-mode
@ 2006-03-13  7:20 Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2006-03-13  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It took me a while to get the reason for this strange behaviour of TAB in
org-mode on my computer:

TAB worked fine in folding and unfolding the headings, but failed
otherwise. C-i worked flawlessly in all situations.

The reason for loosing the context sensitive behaviour of TAB was a
concurring key-binding in outline-magic, which I still use in lengthy
documents.

In outline-magic TAB is bound to outline-cycle, whereas org-mode binds
<tab> to org-cycle. TAB and <tab> are different keys, therefore in
a standard setup most of the intuitive behaviour of org-mode gets lost.

Not a common situation but maybe one can patch outline-magic or
org-mode.

Greetings
Thomas

* Re: outline-magic incompatible with org-mode
@ 2006-03-13  8:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-13  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For those of you who don't know, outline-magic is an older package that
adds visibility cycling and structure editing to outline-mode and
outline-minor-mode.  All this stuff is already in org-mode.  I guess
you are using to get cycling support in other modes?

outline-magic modifies the keymap of outline-mode.  Since org-mode is
derived from outline-mode, it inherits all those keybindings, and then
overwrites them where needed.

The problem here seems to be that org.el does not explicitly bind TAB
to org-cycle.  The only binding for org-cycle currently is C-i.  If TAB
is not bound otherwise, that binding gets passed through from C-i to
TAB, but if there is an explicit binding for TAB, it takes precedence.

Could you try if it helps to add

    (define-key org-mode-map [(tab)] 'org-cycle)

somewhere near the end of org.el?

- Carsten

On Mar 13, 2006, at 8:20, Thomas Baumann wrote:

> It took me a while to get the reason for this strange behaviour of TAB
> in
> org-mode on my computer:
>
> TAB worked fine in folding and unfolding the headings, but failed
> otherwise. C-i worked flawlessly in all situations.
>
> The reason for loosing the context sensitive behaviour of TAB was a
> concurring key-binding in outline-magic, which I still use in lengthy
> documents.
>
> In outline-magic TAB is bound to outline-cycle, whereas org-mode binds
> <tab> to org-cycle. TAB and <tab> are different keys, therefore in
> a standard setup most of the intuitive behaviour of org-mode gets lost.
>
> Not a common situation but maybe one can patch outline-magic or
> org-mode.
>
> Greetings
> Thomas

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: outline-magic incompatible with org-mode
@ 2006-03-13 10:06   ` Thomas Baumann
From: Thomas Baumann @ 2006-03-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Could you try if it helps to add
>
>    (define-key org-mode-map [(tab)] 'org-cycle)
>
> somewhere near the end of org.el?

added where the other tab bindings are defined, works for me.

Thanks

@ 2006-03-13 10:20     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-03-13 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas.baumann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK, this will be part of the next version.

Thanks for the report.

- Carsten