* table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-15 18:50 Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-12-15 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

  Can table formula's be done without calc?  I've been trying to do
something like the following:

  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
  |   | name | P1 | P2 | P3 | TOT            |
  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
  |   | Al   | 10 |  9 |  8 | ='(+ $3 $4 $5) |
  |   | Bob  |  9 |  8 | 10 |                |
  |   | Carl |  8 | 10 |  9 |                |
  |   | Dan  | 10 | 10 | 10 |                |
  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|

I haven't been able to get it to do anything even if I used #+TBLFM,
or ! lines and named variables.  If it's possible then I'm probably
just doing something stupid.  I'd like to avoid installing calc unless
I need to.

Thanks,
Edd

* Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-15 20:25 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-15 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eddward Devilla (2006-12-15 12:50 -0600) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  Can table formula's be done without calc?

That would be a pity not to employ the best maths tool in Emacs.

* Re: Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-15 21:00   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-12-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    At home I'd play with all the toys I can.  I don't control the
environment at work, so I try to keep thing as vanilla as possible.
(Less for me to maintain.)  The site only has an ill-maintained emacs
21.1.1 from a few years ago.  I gave in and installed org-mode in my
home directory because I need a better outliner.

    I have the same problem with perl's CPAN.  They have a lot of neat
things, but I can't install them in the library path.

    If calc is required, I'll try it out, but otherwise I'd like to
see what I can get with just lisp.  Besides, it will be another excuse
to learn more lisp.

Edd

On 12/15/06, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> * Eddward Devilla (2006-12-15 12:50 -0600) said:
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >  Can table formula's be done without calc?
>
> That would be a pity not to employ the best maths tool in Emacs.
>
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

* Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-15 21:48     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-15 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Eddward Devilla (2006-12-15 15:00 -0600) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    At home I'd play with all the toys I can.  I don't control the
> environment at work, so I try to keep thing as vanilla as possible.
> (Less for me to maintain.)  The site only has an ill-maintained emacs
> 21.1.1 from a few years ago.  I gave in and installed org-mode in my
> home directory because I need a better outliner.

You don't need any special control to add your own packages as long as
you have an account in the machine.

[...]
>    If calc is required, I'll try it out, but otherwise I'd like to
> see what I can get with just lisp.  Besides, it will be another excuse
> to learn more lisp.

Another reason is that calc is a standard package in GNU Emacs from 22
(soon to be released) onwards.

* Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-16  4:19 ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2006-12-16  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
>  Can table formula's be done without calc?  I've been trying to do
> something like the following:

Maybe you've already tried this.  But I guess it's still worth
mentioning.  You probably need a `#' in the first row as following

  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
  |   | name | P1 | P2 | P3 | TOT            |
  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
  | # | Al   | 10 |  9 |  8 | ='(+ $3 $4 $5) |
  | # | Bob  |  9 |  8 | 10 |                |
  | # | Carl |  8 | 10 |  9 |                |
  | # | Dan  | 10 | 10 | 10 |                |
  |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|

> I haven't been able to get it to do anything even if I used #+TBLFM,
> or ! lines and named variables.  If it's possible then I'm probably
> just doing something stupid.  I'd like to avoid installing calc unless
> I need to.
>
> Thanks,
> Edd

       ,,,
      (o o)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo---

* Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-16  5:14   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2006-12-16  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/15/06, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> wrote:
> "Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:
> Maybe you've already tried this.  But I guess it's still worth
> mentioning.  You probably need a `#' in the first row as following
>
>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
>   |   | name | P1 | P2 | P3 | TOT            |
>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
>   | # | Al   | 10 |  9 |  8 | ='(+ $3 $4 $5) |
>   | # | Bob  |  9 |  8 | 10 |                |
>   | # | Carl |  8 | 10 |  9 |                |
>   | # | Dan  | 10 | 10 | 10 |                |
>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|

Not sure if I've done this variation before.  Just tried now without
luck.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edd

* Re: table formula w/o calc
@ 2006-12-17 11:10     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-17 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 16, 2006, at 6:14, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

> On 12/15/06, Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> wrote:
>> "Eddward DeVilla" <eddward@gmail.com> writes:
>> Maybe you've already tried this.  But I guess it's still worth
>> mentioning.  You probably need a `#' in the first row as following
>>
>>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
>>   |   | name | P1 | P2 | P3 | TOT            |
>>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
>>   | # | Al   | 10 |  9 |  8 | ='(+ $3 $4 $5) |
>>   | # | Bob  |  9 |  8 | 10 |                |
>>   | # | Carl |  8 | 10 |  9 |                |
>>   | # | Dan  | 10 | 10 | 10 |                |
>>   |---+------+----+----+----+----------------|
>
> Not sure if I've done this variation before.  Just tried now without
> luck.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

You don't necessarily need these markers in the first column.
To evaluate the equation, simply put the cursor into the field
where you have typed the equation, and press either TAB or RET.
This will store the equation in a #TBLFM line below the table and
replace it in the table with the result of this calculation.

To get it applied to all line in the table, press `C-u C-c *', or,
alternatively, `C-u C-c C-c'.

This is in the manual, section 3.3 to be precise.  But obviously
not explained clearly enough.  Please, if you find time, read that part
and tell me what should have been there or anywhere else, so that you
would not have gotten stuck.

The # markers in the first line mean that each time you press
TAB, all equations in that line will be re-applied.  This can be useful
if you have lots of equations, but it can slow down editing.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam