* How to align table in org-mode with Unicode characters, like Chinese
@ 2010-03-03 15:29 filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-03-03 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All

I fail to align table which has Chinese, while English characters work very
well.
Below is the sample. Is there any setting can save me out of this annoying
problems?

| 编号 | 姓名     | 分数 |
|    1 | 张三     |   80 |
|    2 | 欧阳友人 |   90 |
|    3 | 李四     | 75   |

Thanks very much for your attentions.
--
Thanks & Regards

Denny Zhang

* Re: How to align table in org-mode with Unicode characters, like Chinese
@ 2010-03-03 15:49 ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2010-03-03 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:29:23 +0800, filebat Mark wrote:

> Hi All
> I fail to align table which has Chinese, while English characters work very well.
> Below is the sample. Is there any setting can save me out of this annoying problems?

>> 编号 | 姓名     | 分数 |
>> 1 | 张三     |   80 |
>> 2 | 欧阳友人 |   90 |
>> 3 | 李四     | 75   |

It looks fine to me in my Emacs.  You have to make sure that
your Chinese font is setup exactly twice as wide as English
letters.  See attached screen-shot.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs snapshot --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 18841 bytes --]

J    c/*    __o/*
X    <\     * (__
Y    */\      <

* Re: How to align table in org-mode with Unicode characters, like Chinese
@ 2010-03-03 16:04 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-03-03 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: filebat Mark; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

filebat Mark <filebat.mark@gmail.com> writes:

please, search the list before posting.

> Hi AllI fail to align table which has Chinese, while English
> characters work very well.Below is the sample. Is there any setting
> can save me out of this annoying problems?| 编号 | 姓名     | 分数 ||
> 1 | 张三     |   80 |

> |    2 | 欧阳友人 |   90 ||    3 | 李四     | 75   |Thanks very much
> for your attentions.-- Thanks & RegardsDenny Zhang
FAQ:

the table editor works fine if each Chinese character is an integer
number of ASCII characters wide [1]. So you need to find a Chinese font that
does have this property. No chance that will ever make this work for
fonts that do not have this property.

- Carsten
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-02/msg00323.html

[1]
Org is smart enough to deal with integer width characters (quite a feat
already, I assure you), but it cannot and likely never will handle
variable width fonts.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-10/msg00326.html

cheers,

Giovanni

* Re: How to align table in org-mode with Unicode characters, like Chinese
@ 2010-03-03 17:12   ` filebat Mark
From: filebat Mark @ 2010-03-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode