* Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 14:47 Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2007-08-01 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Maybe I'm not that smart here...

But what is actually the difference between using:
*priorities

and:
*Using tags

You could make tags like this:
Urgent
Tomorow
Low

etc...

Ciao,
Renzo

* Re: Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 15:13 ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-08-01 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/08/07, Renzo Been <swangdoodles@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what is actually the difference between using:
> *priorities
>
> and:
> *Using tags

That's a very good point.  The reason why I decided to use priorities
was because it was easier to make them work with org-agenda.  In
particular, I don't know how to make the agenda display, for example,
"all headlines without the :today: tag in the order of increasing
deadlines".  If this is possible, I'll happily switch to tags.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Piotr

* Re: Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 16:52   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Piotr Zielinski" <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com> writes:

> The reason why I decided to use priorities was because it was easier
> to make them work with org-agenda. In particular, I don't know how to
> make the agenda display, for example, "all headlines without
> the :today: tag in the order of increasing deadlines". If this is
> possible, I'll happily switch to tags.

This search should be achieved with a custom command like:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("u" tags "-today"
        ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(time-up))))))

See (info "(org)Setting Options") ... but i can't have the '(time-up)
option to be taken into account.  At least it works for selecting all
but the :today: tag.

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-02  6:07 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-08-02  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renzo Been; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 8/1/07, Renzo Been <swangdoodles@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what is actually the difference between using:
> *priorities
>
> and:
> *Using tags
>
> You could make tags like this:
> Urgent
> Tomorow
> Low

Generally speaking, the priorities are a sorting tool. Tags may be
used for that goal, too, and by a sheer coincidence (or not?) the
proposed tags Urgent, Tomorrow and Low are in the right alphabetic
order. If you need more than 3 groups, however, you'll have to take
that into account. Also, it's OK to use tags instead of priorities as
long as you don't want the records to be sorted by yet another
criterion. Otherwise, you need something to complement the tags and
the priorities are perfect here.

Also, in the files where tags are used extensively, the tag you want
the records to be sorted by may happen to be in any position but the
last one, thus breaking the sorting.

That's why I prefer priorities to the corresponding tags, even though
the best use I have for them is setting the rating of the read books
:). They're simply indispensable for that goal.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

* Re: Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-09  5:05     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 1, 2007, at 18:52, Bastien wrote:

> "Piotr Zielinski" <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The reason why I decided to use priorities was because it was easier
>> to make them work with org-agenda. In particular, I don't know how to
>> make the agenda display, for example, "all headlines without
>> the :today: tag in the order of increasing deadlines". If this is
>> possible, I'll happily switch to tags.
>
> This search should be achieved with a custom command like:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("u" tags "-today"
>         ((org-agenda-sorting-strategy '(time-up))))))
>
> See (info "(org)Setting Options") ... but i can't have the '(time-up)
> option to be taken into account.  At least it works for selecting all
> but the :today: tag.

The reason why this does not work is that sorting by time
only works if the entry has been *selected* for inclusion into
the agenda by a timestamp.  If it was selected, for example, by tag,
the it would be unclear which time to use, there might be many
in the entry, like scheduled, deadline, or a plain time stamp
marking this also as an appointment.

- Carsten