* Log Notes with Non-sequential states
@ 2007-01-15 17:15 Deech
From: Deech @ 2007-01-15 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I am trying to use the lognotestate feature to log the progress of a project.
However my projects go from WAITING to TODO and back to WAITING so there is no
definate sequence.

Is lognotestate even the right feature to use? Is there a better tool to log the
actions taken in a project?

Thanks...
Deech

* Re: Log Notes with Non-sequential states
@ 2007-01-15 21:26 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-01-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deech; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

There is no natural way to switch back between two states, but you can
select
a specific goal state by Using a prefix argument.

If you have

#+SEQ_TODO TODO WAITING DONE

The you can use `C-c C-t' to switch from TODO to WAITING, and
`C-2 C-c C-t' to switch directly to WAITING, with proper notes recorded.
 From the TODO list agenda view, this even become `t' for the first
switch,
`2 t' for the second.

- Carsten

@ 2007-01-16  7:55 ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-01-16  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deech; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I like lognotestate so much that I use it even when it is not the
right thing to do :). BTW, I didn't have a chance yet to thank Carsten
for implementing it. It's great, thanks!

I'd say that it is quite comfortable to use it for oscillating between
states. You can also try to use tags to mark the pending tasks, but
lognotestate gives a way to timestamp such changes and log the
reasons. The only annoyance is that since the sequence has to be
linear and if the sequence is TODO-WAITING-DONE, you cannot jump from
TODO to DONE. In this case, I would simply change the sequence to
WAITING-TODO-DONE. After all, all tasks are WAITING to be started
before they go to the TODO state :).

On 1/15/07, Deech <aditya_siram@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to use the lognotestate feature to log the progress of a project.
> However my projects go from WAITING to TODO and back to WAITING so there is no
> definate sequence.
>
> Is lognotestate even the right feature to use? Is there a better tool to log the
> actions taken in a project?
>
> Thanks...
> Deech

With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

* Re: Log Notes with Non-sequential states
@ 2007-01-16 10:07   ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-01-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 1/16/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> There is no natural way to switch back between two states

S-left and S-right work well for me...

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev