* no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows
@ 2007-04-19 21:18 Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-19 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Linux I can have org open a file and display it like this:

* Local Settings...

* Projects
** Foo

* Something

Notice that it's nice about letting me having blank lines between my top
level headings, even though they are to some degree compacted. I think my
setting is "content" for how expanded it should be.

When I open the same file in Emacs on Windows, with the same configuration
files, I get this:

* Local Settings...
* Projects
** Foo
* Something

There are no blank lines at all, but if I use S-Tab to expand it all out
there are plenty of blank lines.

The file does say it's in Unix mode and I suspect this problem is more
likely caused by a setting I have wrong than a bug. Has anyone seen this
before or have an idea what is causing this behavior?

Thanks,
Scott

* Re: no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows
@ 2007-04-20  6:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-20  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You probably have Emacs 21 under Linux and Emacs 22 under Windows.
This is a difference in the implementation of `outline-hide-sublevels'
between these versions, and Org-mode simply calls this function.

I believe you could take the Emacs 21 definition of this function and
overwrite the Emacs 22 one by placing the definition into
outline-mode-hook, but I have not tested this.

- Carsten

On Apr 19, 2007, at 23:18, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> On Linux I can have org open a file and display it like this:
>
> * Local Settings...
>
> * Projects
> ** Foo
>
> * Something
>
> Notice that it's nice about letting me having blank lines between my
> top level headings, even though they are to some degree compacted. I
> think my setting is "content" for how expanded it should be.
>
> When I open the same file in Emacs on Windows, with the same
> configuration files, I get this:
>
> * Local Settings...
> * Projects
> ** Foo
> * Something
>
> There are no blank lines at all, but if I use S-Tab to expand it all
> out there are plenty of blank lines.
>
> The file does say it's in Unix mode and I suspect this problem is more
> likely caused by a setting I have wrong than a bug. Has anyone seen
> this before or have an idea what is causing this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows
@ 2007-04-20 14:59   ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 4/20/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> You probably have Emacs 21 under Linux and Emacs 22 under Windows.
> This is a difference in the implementation of `outline-hide-sublevels'
> between these versions, and Org-mode simply calls this function.

 Thanks Carsten, you're right on. I really like the emacs21 behavior a lot
more than that of emacs 22.

I believe you could take the Emacs 21 definition of this function and
> overwrite the Emacs 22 one by placing the definition into
> outline-mode-hook, but I have not tested this.

 I found a hide-sublevels in outline.el but never found any
outline-hide-sublevels, so I assume they're they same.

(defun hide-sublevels (levels)
  "Hide everything but the top LEVELS levels of headers, in whole buffer."
  (interactive "p")
  (if (< levels 1)
      (error "Must keep at least one level of headers"))
  (setq levels (1- levels))
  (let (outline-view-change-hook)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      ;; Keep advancing to the next top-level heading.
      (while (or (and (bobp) (outline-on-heading-p))
         (outline-next-heading))
    (let ((end (save-excursion (outline-end-of-subtree) (point))))
      ;; Hide everything under that.
      (outline-flag-region (point) end t)
      ;; Show the first LEVELS levels under that.
      (if (> levels 0)
          (show-children levels))
      ;; Move to the next, since we already found it.
      (goto-char end)))))
  (run-hooks 'outline-view-change-hook))

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'hide-sublevels)

I gave this a try but it didn't work automatically, and I don't know where
to go from here.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-number-of-arguments #[(levels) [A whole
bunch of special characters here]
 [levels outline-view-change-hook beg end 1 error "Must keep at least one
level of headers" nil outline-on-heading-p t outline-next-heading
outline-flag-region outline-map-region #[nil "\b  [outline-level levels
outline-show-heading] 2] run-hooks] 4 ("c:/Program
Files/Emacs/emacs/lisp/outline.elc" . 28111) (list (cond (current-prefix-arg
(prefix-numeric-value current-prefix-arg)) ((save-excursion
(beginning-of-line) (looking-at outline-regexp)) (funcall outline-level)) (t
1)))] 0)

Thanks,
Scott

@ 2007-04-20 16:47     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-20 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 20, 2007, at 16:59, Scott Jaderholm wrote:
>   (run-hooks 'outline-view-change-hook))
>
> (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook 'hide-sublevels)

This is a misunderstanding, sorry for not being clearer:
I meant:

(add-hook 'outline-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (defun hide-sublevels ......

where the defun .... is the full definition of hide-sublevels from the
emacs 21 outline.  This to override the new definition *after*

Remember that this is only a hack - maybe a better solution would be to
use org-cycle-hook and to show those empty lines with a function in
there.

- Carsten

* Re: no blank lines in org file opened in Emacs on Windows
@ 2007-04-20 19:54       ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-20 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode