* Exporting ODT to Org [was Re: General advice beyond Org]
@ 2018-05-20  4:56   ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-20  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2018-05-20 01:24, Samuel Wales wrote:
> perhaps we can start thinking about improving registration between
> formats?

I don't really know what this means.

> if you export org [you posted to org mailng list] to a foreign format,
> you want your collaborator to be able to edit, save, send back without
> raising a sweat.

Not really, although it would be nice--and possibly titanic to do.

> now you have to integrate the changes.  you want to do this without
> annoyance.
>
> suppose you export comments in the foreign format that contain the
> equivalent of persistent markers.  you might or might not be willing
> to put org id or custom id on every heading, but there might be
> workarounds that are not so intrusive.  maybe your source can contain
> comments with markers.  dunno.

Every great project had to start somewhere (this sounds like that).
However, if I am going to devote time to such a gigantic task, I would
rather spend it trying to convert others to free software rather than
doing favours to a closed format. I am not saying that it wouldn't be
nice to have it.

> if your exported document is a subtree within a huge org file that you
> edit all the time, registration allows your software to identify that
> subtree, so you're not trying to change anything outside that subtree.
> that alone is a win.

This sounds like a project for people in LibreOffice or Pandoc. I think
I will contact them to see if they are interested.

> but maybe we can do more.  the markers can register sections or even
> paragraphs if you're doing intensive collaboration.  the tricky part
> might be getting standard tools to understand that the mapping of
> markers takes precedence over everything else.

Yes, big project.

> details of this handwavey and possibly impossible brainstorm are left
> as an exercise for the reader.

LooooL! you remind me of books with notes such as "after deriving the
equation one arrives to the following expression" :P !

Thank you.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

* Exporting ODT to Org [was Re: General advice beyond Org]
       [not found] <mailman.15.1526832003.3852.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-05-20 19:34 ` edgar
From: edgar @ 2018-05-20 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-orgmode

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 20 May 2018 10:08:46 +0200
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: General advice beyond Org

> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 06:24:49PM -0700, Samuel Wales wrote:
>> perhaps we can start thinking about improving registration between
>> formats?
>
> This resonates with some vague ideas that keep haunting some
> dark corners of my mind:
>
> it isn't generally possible to convert "Word" [1] into Org. But what
> if that "Word" is just a slight modification of something which has
> been transformed from an Org document we know?
>
> Of course, augmenting that with "pockets" where to stash
> meta-information
> which might get lost on round-trip would be even more interesting.
> Perhaps
> those pockets are external, tied to some (possibly change-resistant)
> hash
> made of enough context.
>
> Did I say dark corners?
>
> Cheers

Makes me feel lucky of being able to tie my laces! :D .