* convert rmarkdown (rmd) files to orgmode?
@ 2016-07-20  4:28 Xebar Saram
       [not found] ` <CAJ1MqVF4Cq3ogH34P6AtSf0-ZX7ic=tApuX-ad=+14pLF7p1Aw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-07-20  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

anyone know of a way to convert rmarkdown (rmd) files to orgmode?

im preparing a R course and lots of cool examples in R are in rmd format so
it could be very useful to me

best

* Re: convert rmarkdown (rmd) files to orgmode?
       [not found] ` <CAJ1MqVF4Cq3ogH34P6AtSf0-ZX7ic=tApuX-ad=+14pLF7p1Aw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-07-20 11:15   ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-07-20 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Hudson, org mode

thx phil

the Rmd format is actually quite different than md so that conversion didnt
go well

i ended up doing a 2 step conversion:

in R (via the GUI or through R -e command line), first convert the Rmd
files to md files:

require(knitr) # required for knitting from rmd to md
require(markdown) # required for md to html
knit('test.rmd', 'test.md') # creates md file

then use pandoc to convert the md files to org:

pandoc -o test.org  test.md

this gives an almost 1:1 org file

thx

@ 2016-07-20 17:20     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-20 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Xebar Saram wrote:

> thx phil
>
> the Rmd format is actually quite different than md so that conversion didnt
> go well

I tried this

 	pandoc -f markdown -t org input-file.Rmd -o output-file.org

then I opened `output-file.org' and put this src block at the very top:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent
   (replace-regexp "^=[{]r \\([^}]*\\)[}]\\(.*\\)=$"
 		  "#+name: \\1
   ,#+begin_src R
   \\2
   ,#+end_src")

#+END_SRC

When I execute that code block, all the converted code chunks become src
blocks.

This isn't perfect as chunk options are appended to the `#+NAME:...' line,
but if you want to play with the regexp's you can probably get it to pick
those out and put them on a separate line. Or just write another src block
with another `replace-regexp' to fix those lines.

With a little effort you can write a command file for `sed' to do what the
code block above does and then pipe the pandoc output to that command like
this:

: pandoc -f markdown -t org input-file.Rmd | \
: sed -f convert-chunks > output-file.org

and you have an org document ready (or almost ready) to go.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: convert rmarkdown (rmd) files to orgmode?
@ 2016-07-20 17:29       ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-07-20 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

thx for the tips!

when i try to run the source block :

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent
  (replace-regexp "^=[{]r \\([^}]*\\)[}]\\(.*\\)=$"
                  "#+name: \\1
  ,#+begin_src R
  \\2
  ,#+end_src")

#+END_SRC

i just get a nil in the message area. what am i missing?

thx

@ 2016-07-20 17:42         ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-20 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Xebar Saram wrote:

> thx for the tips!
>
> when i try to run the source block :
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results silent
>  (replace-regexp "^=[{]r \\([^}]*\\)[}]\\(.*\\)=$"
>                  "#+name: \\1
>  ,#+begin_src R
>  \\2
>  ,#+end_src")
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> i just get a nil in the message area. what am i missing?

Nothing!

The `:results silent' should suppress any output.

Anyway, what you should see is that the code chunks that pandoc placed
inside equal signs like

: ={r my-name} code =

are now in src blocks.

I think you need to put the src block at the top or add a

: (goto-char (point-min))

as its first line to be sure it converts all the code chunks.

Chuck

* Re: convert rmarkdown (rmd) files to orgmode?
@ 2016-07-20 18:00           ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-07-20 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

ahh i see what you mean.

thats a cool tip yet i find i have to find/replace also for images,
find/replace to change example blocks to R code blocks etc which is quite
tedious since i have about 50 of these converted Rmd to org files :)
ill keep investigating this and report back

thx so much for the tips! :)

@ 2016-07-21  6:48             ` Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2016-07-21  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

Hi again

Chuck:

is there a way to modify you nice code regex code snippet to simultaneously
change all example blocks to R blocks in a converted rmd>org file?
so when executing the block all example blocks:

 #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
     help.search("rnorm")
 #+END_EXAMPLE

will turn into R blocks

 #+BEGIN_SRC R :session Rorg  :results none
     help.search("rnorm")
#+END_SRC

thx!

@ 2016-07-21 16:27               ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2016-07-21 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode, Philip Hudson

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016, Xebar Saram wrote:

> Hi again
>
> Chuck:
>
> is there a way to modify you nice code regex code snippet to simultaneously
> change all example blocks to R blocks in a converted rmd>org file?
> so when executing the block all example blocks:
>

> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>     help.search("rnorm")
> #+END_EXAMPLE
>
> will turn into R blocks
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :session Rorg  :results none
>     help.search("rnorm")
> #+END_SRC

The obvious thing is to do this with two additional `replace' operations.

Interactively, you can use `replace-string' to do this, since those are
fixed strings and there are no backreferences to worry about. I think
there is a dired-mode incantation that would allow you to do this on all
files in a directory if you wanted.

But see the docstring for 'replace-string' which shows a better
incantation for programmatically doing the changes.

IMO, you would be better served by doiing this in a scripting language
like bash or python, but even R could do it.

One reason for using a scripting language is that unless you are a wiz at
elisp, it is easier to report back the changes that are made in context;
if you convert something that truly *is* an example block, you want to
know about it so you can back out that change. Also, it is possible that
the R code in the file you are converting will contain characters that
will foil the regexp matching and you really need to catch those.

I'd be tempted to do it in R - at least in part - so I could parse() the
result to check that it is valid code. The ESS suite has some parsing
capabilities, but if you do not already know them using R will be a lot
easier. An example block that does not produce valid code might be
something you should leave as an example block.

Write a script that does all the conversion including the pandoc
bit. Then run that at the command line.

Chuck