* Latex export or Latex tangle? Best practice?
@ 2015-04-27 18:12 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2015-04-27 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In a previous post I was getting at the issue of whether I should just do
regular export or use latex "code blocks" for what I wanted in a final
document. What I want is the ability to create a big, rambling, annotated
org file -- with "keeper" stuff inside the latex babel blocks -- then
tangle the .org file, thereby leaving all the annotations and lead-up notes
behind. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting "notes" to evolve into a
"finished product" and orgmode would seem to offer a good path. So, I don't
want to have to hand-edit out my so-called annotations. Is keeping the good
stuff in latex babel blocks a best practice?

LB

* Re: Latex export or Latex tangle? Best practice?
@ 2015-04-27 18:34 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2015-04-27 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would use LaTeX code blocks when I need to write something in LaTeX
that isn't easy to write in org mode, not to distinguish what is a
note and what is part of the draft. For that I recommend comments,
e.g.,

### Start example ###

* Section 1
** COMMENT Some rough draft notes to myself
 yadda yadda more badda
** Some stuff that should be exported
This is the actual important stuff that should be exported
*** More stuff that should be exported
yadda yada
*** COMMENT More notes and stuff don't export
*** Export this one too
bla bla

### End example ###

When you export the commented sections will be excluded.

Best,
Ista

@ 2015-04-28  3:06 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-04-28  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:

> In a previous post I was getting at the issue of whether I should just do
> regular export or use latex "code blocks" for what I wanted in a final
> document. What I want is the ability to create a big, rambling, annotated
> org file -- with "keeper" stuff inside the latex babel blocks -- then
> tangle the .org file, thereby leaving all the annotations and lead-up notes
> behind. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting "notes" to evolve into a
> "finished product" and orgmode would seem to offer a good path. So, I don't
> want to have to hand-edit out my so-called annotations. Is keeping the good
> stuff in latex babel blocks a best practice?
>
> LB

I sometimes use noweb references for the purpose of having either a
concise code block to tangle or a document for export that draws on code
blocks elsewhere in the document.

From what I see higher in this thread, I recommend that you export a
subtree that includes src blocks with noweb refs. Whatever latex
boilerplate you need can be :EXPORT_*: properties. see

 	(info "(org) Noweb reference syntax")

and the paragraphs at the end of

 	(info "(org) Export settings")

HTH,