* R code blocks and 'could not find function ".ess.eval"'
@ 2014-10-28 11:07 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2014-10-28 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This problem was reported last month and then again earlier this month, for
example here:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-10/msg00178.html

I'm running Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org 8.2.10 and ESS 14.1x.  I'm getting a lot of

    Error: could not find function ".ess.eval"

errors when evaluating R code blocks, even simple ones like this:

   #+BEGIN_SRC R :session :exports results
   1 + 1
   #+END_SRC

I have a more complicated Org file with a bunch of R in it that I want to export
to a PDF, but I get this:

    Args out of range: #<killed buffer>, 0 ,1

I've been trying to debug it and seemed to narrow down a minimal example to
whether or not a simple block had ":exports results" in it, but yesterday when
working on this some process would go haywire and my machine would slow down
and then freeze!  I had to force a reboot.  I've never had Emacs do that before.

I see that a patch was introduced for ob-R.el that fixes the 'could not find
function ".ess.eval"' problem---will that be pushed into the main release soon?

And has anyone else been running into problems like this recently?  From what I
saw in the archives it looks like it went away for most people.

Bill
--
William Denton ↔  Toronto, Canada ↔  https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: R code blocks and 'could not find function ".ess.eval"'
@ 2014-10-28 16:16 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2014-10-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 28 Oct 2014, William Denton wrote:

> This problem was reported last month and then again earlier this month, for
> example here:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-10/msg00178.html
>
> I'm running Emacs 25.0.50.2, Org 8.2.10 and ESS 14.1x.  I'm getting a lot of
...............................XXXXXXXXXX

That version of org does not have the patches mentioned in the threads you
reference. Current `master' does.

>   Error: could not find function ".ess.eval"
>
> errors when evaluating R code blocks, even simple ones like this:
>
>  #+BEGIN_SRC R :session :exports results
>  1 + 1
>  #+END_SRC

Either update to `master' or start the R session interactively by `M-x R'
before executing R commands in babel until such time as the version of
orgmode you use catches up to the recent changes.

HTH,

Chuck